• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Demand for e8400

mdlam

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 17, 2009
Messages
267
How many people out there look for dual cores nowadays? the e8400 use to be an amazing chip, is it still decent for people looking for cheap builds or is it all about the i3 now?
 
Only people looking for a cheap upgrade would be interested. They seem to be selling alright on ebay.
 
I remember the demand. It was so big I actually had to get the Xeon X3110 to spend a little less money.
 
I'd only buy one for dirt cheap right now just so I could overclock it and see what I can hit in this p45.

I got the E5200 in my sig for $20 and I wouldn't pay much more than that for an E8400 when I can get a newer generation CPU for a little bit more.
 
the i3-540 3ghz is going for 120 right now, so maybe a good price on this e8400 3ghz would be 80 bucks then?
 
There seems to be decent demand for them. A couple weeks back I was looking for a c2d for a spare rig I have, e6300 chips were at least 45. I just checked ebay, there was a e8400 with 1 hour left up to 90 plus $10 shipping. It's a nice chip but not exactly a bargain.
 
In a perfect world, everyone would be able to adjust the pin count on their motherboards and be able to get the latest best-value chip and stick it in. But that's not the case--there's a ton of people that are on the S775 platform that don't want to invest in a mobo+ddr3, so there will always be that demand for the E8400 as well as the 12MB quad cores.

That being said, SB is right now the ideal platform to jump ship/upgrade from a S775 based machine if it's your main rig, imo; especially if you have an archaic 65nm chip like me :p Definitely agree, right now with how great a value the 2100 offers, it's very hard to pass up and most definitely worth the platform upgrade cost.
 
Back
Top