• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Delta Fan Part Numbers

Skud

Gawd
Joined
Sep 4, 2002
Messages
587
Hi all,

Does anyone have a reference or know how to decode the suffix for Delta fan part numbers? I'm trying to replace a fan in a switch and even though the major part number is the exact same, the fans behave differently. The part number guide on Delta's website shows how to decode the main number, but just has the R and F suffix numbers for rotor lock and frequency (tach) output models.

For example, the original fan is a Delta FFB0412SHN-TYSC and I'm trying to replace it with a Delta FFB0412SHN-9C72. These are both 40x40x28mm 13k RPM 4-pin fans, however the replacement spins about 2k RPM faster when the switch is idle than the original and still good fans. At full speed all fans (old and new) spin at 13k, when the switch ramps down the fan speed the originals run at 5k, but the 9C72 spins at 7k. I can hear and feel that the new fan is spinning faster.

I have hooked both fans up to my meter, connected to a (weak) 12v battery and the tach output is the same on both fans at 400hz. (400/2) * 60 = 12,000RPM. It appears that the PWM input curve may be different between the two as when I short the PWM input to ground on the TYSC fan the rotor stops, but when doing the same on the 9C72 fan the rotor still spins at a very low speed.

It seems like there are so many different options (PWM curve, soft start, etc.) that one can order, but nowhere can I find a way to decode these numbers.

Thanks!!
Riley
 
Those seem to be nonstandard part numbers--I can't seem to find either of those on delta's websites (.com and .co.tw), or on digikey. Are those the part numbers from on the back of the fan? Where did you get them?
 
Those seem to be nonstandard part numbers--I can't seem to find either of those on delta's websites (.com and .co.tw), or on digikey. Are those the part numbers from on the back of the fan? Where did you get them?

The numbers are from the labels on the fans. A Google image search of "FFB0412SHN-9C72" shows where the "9C72" is located.

I looked on other manufacturer's websites (Sanyo Denki/SanAce and Nidec) and the suffix may be a customer-specific number. I'm beginning to think that the numbers may not directly relate to the function/features of the fan but instead just reference internal-only documentation. The SanAce fan specs seem to confirm my thoughts about the PWM curves. They list fans with PWM control where 0% duty cycle is 0RPM and fans where 0% duty cycle is "minimum speed", around 3k RPM. It stands to reason that Delta would be similar and this is why I'm seeing a 2k RPM offset with the 9C72 - which spins at "minimum speed" at 0% PWM.

I ended-up ordering some FFB0412VHN-TP03 fans, which are listed on Delta's site (http://www.delta-fan.com/Download/Spec/FFB0412VHN-TP03.pdf) but there is no breakdown of the TP03 number. Other than the speed, these seem to match the "observed" specs of the fan I need to replace (4-pin, PWM, tach, 0% duty cycle is 0RPM). This hopefully may end up working out for the better because I want to try and bring down the noise a bit on the switch anyways.

Also, Delta/everyone needs to get together and agree on a spec for PWM/Tach wire colors. Delta seems to randomly switch it around. Sometimes blue is PWM and sometimes blue is tach. I have Delta fans with each scheme..... :facepalm:

Thanks!!
Riley
 
The numbers are from the labels on the fans. A Google image search of "FFB0412SHN-9C72" shows where the "9C72" is located.

I looked on other manufacturer's websites (Sanyo Denki/SanAce and Nidec) and the suffix may be a customer-specific number. I'm beginning to think that the numbers may not directly relate to the function/features of the fan but instead just reference internal-only documentation. The SanAce fan specs seem to confirm my thoughts about the PWM curves. They list fans with PWM control where 0% duty cycle is 0RPM and fans where 0% duty cycle is "minimum speed", around 3k RPM. It stands to reason that Delta would be similar and this is why I'm seeing a 2k RPM offset with the 9C72 - which spins at "minimum speed" at 0% PWM.

I ended-up ordering some FFB0412VHN-TP03 fans, which are listed on Delta's site (http://www.delta-fan.com/Download/Spec/FFB0412VHN-TP03.pdf) but there is no breakdown of the TP03 number. Other than the speed, these seem to match the "observed" specs of the fan I need to replace (4-pin, PWM, tach, 0% duty cycle is 0RPM). This hopefully may end up working out for the better because I want to try and bring down the noise a bit on the switch anyways.

Also, Delta/everyone needs to get together and agree on a spec for PWM/Tach wire colors. Delta seems to randomly switch it around. Sometimes blue is PWM and sometimes blue is tach. I have Delta fans with each scheme..... :facepalm:

Thanks!!
Riley
Yeah, I read a few pdfs from delta, and they say in a few places that the fans are programmable for different use cases, but I never saw how. I imagine delta has to do it for their customers, or they hire someone to go out and do it for them.
 
Back
Top