Dells version of the Raptor 150

just talked to a Dell representative:

5:16:07 PM System Welcome XXXXXXXXXXXX...
5:16:07 PM System Connecting to server. Please wait...
5:16:07 PM System Thank you for using Dell Chat, a representative will be with you soon.
5:16:07 PM System Initial Question/Comment: What kind of warranty is on this product?
5:16:13 PM System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
5:16:13 PM System Connected with BE_Rep_Maricris
5:16:23 PM BE_Rep_Maricris Welcome to Dell Sales Chat. My name is Cris. I'll be your personal sales agent today. Give me a moment to review your concern. Please don't go away.
5:16:27 PM BE_Rep_Maricris Hi xxxx.
5:16:44 PM You hi
5:16:47 PM BE_Rep_Maricris what particular product xxxxxxxxxxx?
5:17:13 PM You one second
5:17:39 PM You http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/PopupProductDetail.aspx?cs=19&l=en&c=us&sku=341-3681
5:18:04 PM You This product. I am planning to use it with my Dell SC420, which is out of warranty.
5:18:38 PM BE_Rep_Maricris it's for a hard drive right?
5:18:52 PM You yes
5:19:03 PM BE_Rep_Maricris ok, this item comes with 1 yr manufacturer's warranty.
5:19:29 PM You ok, would that be through you, i.e. Dell support or through WD?
5:19:40 PM You in case I would need to RMA it (which I hope doesn't happen..)
5:19:57 PM BE_Rep_Maricris yes xxxx, it will be thru dell.
5:20:15 PM BE_Rep_Maricris It is supported by Dell Technical Support when used with a Dell System.
5:20:27 PM You last question:
5:20:36 PM BE_Rep_Maricris sure.
5:20:50 PM You I may be moving overseas (Germany), would the warranty be valid over there as well, or is it bound to my locality?
5:21:13 PM BE_Rep_Maricris the warranty is within US only XXXX.
5:21:30 PM You ok thx,
5:21:36 PM BE_Rep_Maricris ur welcome.
5:21:41 PM BE_Rep_Maricris are you going to purchase it online today?
5:22:34 PM You possibly
5:22:55 PM BE_Rep_Maricris It would actually be best to place the order today bec. our promos change weekly without prior notice.
So it's good to just take advantage of it now. [/color]
5:23:14 PM You ok thanks
5:23:30 PM BE_Rep_Maricris you are most welcome :)
5:23:31 PM BE_Rep_Maricris Are you going to put this purchase today on your Dell Preferred Account?
5:24:16 PM You no
5:24:29 PM BE_Rep_Maricris In paying for your purchase, we have the Dell Preferred Account (DPA) which would allow you to make low monthly payments. Should you want to know more about it, you may use on this link: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/dpa_learnmore?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~lt=popup
5:25:04 PM You thanks, i shall take a look. have a good day
5:25:08 PM System The session has ended!

If the performance is anything like the Raptor 150 then :eek:

16 mb cache and all.

Edit: Is it just a rebadged Raptor? Also, I believe you should be able to use a $15 off coupon

I don't think it's EXACTLY the same as a Raptor150, because it would be illegal for them to claim it as a 160GB- even the Raptor is 150GB in binary, which turns into around 139GB decimal (Windows). If the Dell isn't even 160GiB, how can they claim it as such? It's either contracted through WD, or one of the competitors decided to experiment with it.

if these drives are a good as the raptor i'm all over it.
everything seems to be the same excpet for the price.

mavalpha said:
I don't think it's EXACTLY the same as a Raptor150, because it would be illegal for them to claim it as a 160GB- even the Raptor is 150GB in binary, which turns into around 139GB decimal (Windows). If the Dell isn't even 160GiB, how can they claim it as such? It's either contracted through WD, or one of the competitors decided to experiment with it.
Ok, it is not exactly the Raptor. It has the same platters, but they data zone is slightly extended to 160GB instead of 150. This increases the access time a bit and decreases end of disk STR. The first 150GB should be identical. If you really wanted to, you could partition it to be a 150GB disk and the performance should be identical. If you wanted to go [H]ardcore, you could probably flash the raptor firmware onto it.

Man, I just bought a 500GB drive, I must not pull the trigger....

its got basically the exact same specs if you compare it to WDs site, i think im gonna jump on one

drizzt81 said:
Ok, it is not exactly the Raptor. It has the same platters, but they data zone is slightly extended to 160GB instead of 150. This increases the access time a bit and decreases end of disk STR. The first 150GB should be identical. If you really wanted to, you could partition it to be a 150GB disk and the performance should be identical. If you wanted to go [H]ardcore, you could probably flash the raptor firmware onto it.

Man, I just bought a 500GB drive, I must not pull the trigger....

you know you want one....

I just bought a 74GB/8MB Raptor too :( , and for not much less. Oh well, I don't think I could use 150GBs for just apps and OS.

SparksNelec said:
If this is a 10000RPM SATA drive, how is it only $160 when the Raptor 150GB are still >$250? It seems like one of those too good to be true deals.
it had pretty much ZERO warranty, unless you use it with a dell system, which means that you'd get 1-yr warranty.

Warranty costs money, plus it's dell.

If this is a 10000RPM SATA drive, how is it only $160 when the Raptor 150GB are still >$250? It seems like one of those too good to be true deals.

drizzt81 said:
it had pretty much ZERO warranty, unless you use it with a dell system, which means that you'd get 1-yr warranty.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~section=010

Other add-on hardware carries the longer of either a 1-year limited warranty for new parts and a 90-day limited warranty for reconditioned parts or, for both new and reconditioned parts, the remainder of the warranty for the Dell computer on which such parts are installed.

The Dell branded hard drives get at least a 1 year warranty, or the balance of the warranty for the system it's installed in if that's longer. That's why I liked the business systems and servers when I was buying Dells. 3 years is a pretty long time. :cool:
---

I don't really like the description "160GB", but the GB term for hard drives was hijacked years ago by *s explaining it's billions of bytes. Either way you look at it, $162 before coupon for a 160GB (or 149GiB) Raptor is a very good deal.

yeah Dells version of the 74gb Raptor was 80gb if memory serves me right. And those Dell 80gb raptors where much cheaper than regular 74gb at the same time. So this price seems about right and I wouldnt be leery about buying one if you were at all interested in the item.

so partition these to the same size as the raptor 150 and you have the same hdd for about ~$80-90 less, and with 1 year warranty as opposed to 5? The dell 80 compared to the raptor 74 chart looked the same between the drives. I might have to raid 2 of those 160gb dells to outperform my raided 74gb raptors....

drizzt81 said:
*grr* damn you.

Yes, I want one, but do I really need to upgrade from my WD740GD?

yes. lol

i just bought the 150 raptor like 2 months ago and bought a 250gig backup today...and now these are out, how do you think i feel. either way though if these drives don't shit the bed within a week, i think it's a damn fine deal

i am trying to tell myself not to buy one. But i know i'll end up doing it.
price is too good to pass up

i would like to try and hold out untill someone else grabs one and tests it out.

dtess17 said:
i am trying to tell myself not to buy one. But i know i'll end up doing it.
price is too good to pass up
Well, you ended up convincing me to get one.
dtess17 said:
i would like to try and hold out untill someone else grabs one and tests it out.
the deal will be over soon (3 days left), so you NEED to buy one now.. go go go!

drizzt81 said:
Well, you ended up convincing me to get one.
the deal will be over soon (3 days left), so you NEED to buy one now.. go go go!

i really don't need one though. I have a 150

Tell ya what, i'll have a beer and think about it.

But YOU should get one...you lack the 10000rpm 16meg cache goodness

dtess17 said:
i really don't need one though. I have a 150

Tell ya what, i'll have a beer and think about it.

But YOU should get one...you lack the 10000rpm 16meg cache goodness

um:

drizzt81 said:
performance of the WD800GD and the WD740GD... for those interested.

ps.: I bought mine

pps.: nice choice to edit there geeze
yeah, i am all set.. :D

drizzt81 said:
um:

yeah, i am all set.. :D

wow...totally missed that.
well fine...i'm getting one too.

so today i've bought a new case, new mobo, 2 new hard drives and maybe a watercooling kit...

You'll be lucky to ever receive one of those. (Remember the video card fiasco just a few weeks back?) I've had 6 of them on order since June 1. Received third notification of delay today.

June 6:

We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship your order sooner, we are experiencing an unexpected delay with your order xxxxxxxxx and will not be able to ship this order and any associated orders until on or before 06-13-2006.

June 13:

Due to unforeseen circumstances, we have experienced another delay with your order number xxxxxxxxx. Our new anticipated ship date will be on or before 06-20-2006.
Due to this additional delay, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) requires we receive your consent to continue with this order.

June 20:

Due to unforeseen circumstances, we have experienced another delay with your order number xxxxxxxxx. Our new anticipated ship date will be on or before 06-27-2006.
Due to this additional delay, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) requires we receive your consent to continue with this order.

that's just because they don;t like you.

j/k

dell can be slow to ship, if they don't get it out i can always tell em to screw

drizzt81 said:
it did say "ships within 24 hours" when i ordered it.

It said usually ships within 24 hours when I ordered too. They've never changed that lie. :mad:

David_L6 said:
It said usually ships within 24 hours when I ordered too. They've never changed that lie. :mad:
rotfl.

well, I guess I will see when/ if mine ships. they better get it here before I leave the country (in ~1.2 months)

drizzt81 said:
just talked to a Dell representative:
[...]
5:21:13 PM BE_Rep_Maricris the warranty is within US only Joe.
You forgot one, Joe. ;) (Edit: Name changed to protect the identity of the innocent and/or dangerous.)

This is a [H]ot deal, though. A 150GB 10k Raptor costs $225 at the Egg.

S_G said:
You forgot one, XXXX . ;)
This is a [H]ot deal, though. A 150GB 10k Raptor costs $225 at the Egg.
no i did not ;) :p

the 'egg price is AR on top of it all.

Are these 10k RPM drives noticeably louder then the 7200 rpm drivers? My new computer is nice and quiet and don't want to mess that up...

Danith said:
Are these 10k RPM drives noticeably louder then the 7200 rpm drivers? My new computer is nice and quiet and don't want to mess that up...

Every 10,000 rpm drive that I've owned was/is noticeably louder than any 7200 rpm drive I've owned. :( I've had and/or still have two of the 74GB WD Raptors, four of the 80GB Dell's, and one of the 150GB WD Raptors. If you want a computer that never makes any noise, don't buy one of these drives. For the extra performance I can put up with the noise. It isn't constant.

Back