Dell's IPS and multitouch ST2220T finally shipping

Does anyone have any experience with infrared multitouch screens? I have never seen one in the wild, and would like to know how well it works before considering this monitor. The only thing I know of that uses them is Microsoft Surface.

I am buying it right now :(

I am going to be using it as a 4th monitor with my eyefinity setup...plan to have it to the side for my shortcuts and such...Should be fun trying to see what this thing will also do for me.

But now I got to find a cheap video card to run it seperately from my eyefinity setup lol

I am buying it right now :(

I am going to be using it as a 4th monitor with my eyefinity setup...plan to have it to the side for my shortcuts and such...Should be fun trying to see what this thing will also do for me.

But now I got to find a cheap video card to run it seperately from my eyefinity setup lol

Cool, keep us posted.

I have already been trying to find some good touch software to run...but haven't found much other then that room style one (can't remember the name off the top of my head). Anybody know of any good software to run? I have Windows 7, so I have that stuff already included on it.

But I will let ya'll know. I am not an expert on monitors, but will let you know if I feel like the money was worth the fun. Like I said, it will not be for my main monitor...so probably better to await a review from someone else too...

I would be very interested to learn whether this monitor is matte or glossy. It doesn't say on the Dell description.

Looking forward to anyone getting this and posting about it.

Eh he could have got a bad one...or who knows...Can't really base anything off one review..

I got mine at home :( but won't be home for about a week... lol...no fun...knowing you have toys waiting for you to get home

New guy posted a review YMI, gave it 5 stars and said it was very responsive.

Still can't wait to get home to mine :( lol

Yep got it...here is a picture of it next to my setup:

img2499x.jpg

It acts really nice when it works with my eyefinity setup. That's the only problem I have with it, but its not really the monitors fault more like I have too many screens fault. Since I can't use it when I am in eyefinity mode. Was hoping I could use it while I was playing a game, but my mouse moves over to the screen when I am scrolling in a game so I have to disable it.

When I am in regular mode, I have no problems with it at all. It works great. I mostly control my music on it. The touch sensitivity is awesome for me. I have no problems with it.

But alas, I will probably sell it soon since it doesn't work with eyefinity well.

(If anybody is interested, send me a PM ;))

We purchased one to try at work and see what goes on with it. Quality of the screen is really good for the price, even if it didn't have multi-touch it would be a pretty good price. It isn't up there with the professional IPS screens like the NEC PA series, but it is good looking. The multi-touch works quite well. Seem to be pretty responsive and works with anything, your fingers, a stylus, whatever. On Windows 7, it just works. Plug the sucker in, 7 reconfigures to tablet mode and everything works with no drivers or intervention. On most other OSes, the display works fine, but the tablet does not. OS-X recognizes it as a tablet but doesn't get any input from it.

If you want a quality touch display, I don't think you can do much better. It isn't perfect, but it is real good for the price.

has anyone tried to draw on it as a graphics tablet?
Does it follow the pen or is it unusably laggy?

If it works well it would be a no-brainer. Price of an intuos for functionality of a Cintiq.
I am aware that there will be no pressure or tilt sensitivity, but even so.

Haven't tried drawing yet, that'll be a test we do soon. Based off of a bit of testing playing with a stylus I think it should work ok but not great. Main issue is just lack of resolution. The Wacom stuff gives you extremely high resolution and accurate tracking because it actually tracks the stylus itself. The Dell tablet just uses optical tracking to try and track any object. Also because of that, as you noted, it cannot be pressure sensitive.

So it should be workable, but won't be as good. You could use it for basic stuff (we are looking at it as an instructional aid, so professors can write on their power points and so on) but it probably wouldn't be great for art work.

I'll try to remember to post more details once I've actually done an extensive test.

Wow....that's impressive, Bowhuntr. That is one awesome set uup.

Could you and Sycraft tell me if the Dell ST2220T is a glossy or a matte screen? Also, accroding to the specs it is supposed to have an oleophobic coating on it to help reduce finger smudges. Can either of you speak to whether this extra coating is something noticeable compared to regular glossy screens? In other words can you tell whether there is some sort of extra layer or coating of something on the screen?

Edit: sorry, Also: does the stand collapse all the way down, or just most of the way down.

Thanks

Could you and Sycraft tell me if the Dell ST2220T is a glossy or a matte screen? Also, accroding to the specs it is supposed to have an oleophobic coating on it to help reduce finger smudges. Can either of you speak to whether this extra coating is something noticeable compared to regular glossy screens? In other words can you tell whether there is some sort of extra layer or coating of something on the screen?

Edit: sorry, Also: does the stand collapse all the way down, or just most of the way down.

Thanks

Looks really glossy to me in those photos since you can see the reflection on the wall.

Thanks

Yeah Its glossy...the screen isn't horrible with finger prints. But not awesome, but can't expect perfect with a touch screen.

And stand collapses all the way down.

Thanks Bowhuntr. So what we're looking at is the first IPS (albeit e-IPS) non-Apple, glossy screen monitor to come out in a very long time.

Does anyone have any experience with infrared multitouch screens? I have never seen one in the wild, and would like to know how well it works before considering this monitor. The only thing I know of that uses them is Microsoft Surface.

IR multitouch is a well understood technology.

The screen is laterally lit with IR causing internal reflection. When you touch it you modify the surface very slightly which allows IR to escape at the contact point.

A detector can then locate your touch.

does the Dell use IR or Optical as noted in TFTCentrals review?
It was also noted that when writting on the screen it is best avoiding to couch it with arm, rendering it pretty useless for drawing, whereas IR wiimote project solutions do not have this issue.

I would presume IR is optical. IR is light after all. Optical means as opposed to capacitive or resistive, not visible vs invisible. IR is still optical, you focus it with lenses and so on.

I was thinking of replacing my keyboard with a touch screen panel. how does this work (you all that have this monitor)? It's looks to be about the right size.

does the Dell use IR or Optical as noted in TFTCentrals review?
It was also noted that when writting on the screen it is best avoiding to couch it with arm, rendering it pretty useless for drawing, whereas IR wiimote project solutions do not have this issue.

Dell.com seems to confirm it's optical touch

So it seems, as Sycraft mentioned.
IR is as well optical, just not visible.
Sycraft said:
I would presume IR is optical. IR is light after all. Optical means as opposed to capacitive or resistive, not visible vs invisible. IR is still optical

I just got this screen aslo.

pretty nice and responsive

however i really want to put it on the wall

do you guys know if vogel or other maek aholder for it?

since it dosent ahve vesa or any other way of connecting a mount.

What's it like for reading text at Normal Font Size and at 143%?

Thanks,

Back