Dell XPS M170 @ [H] Consumer

Chris_Morley

Former [H] Consumer Managing Ed.
Close-out specials for the win! We see just what kind of a bang for the buck experience you can get with Dell's crazy coupon deals...

The XPS M170 is a good example of the kind of deals that Dell runs periodically. Often times the price of a system is a deciding factor when assigning value to a particular machine. Many members of our forum got in on this deal, and we though we would, too.

I am also sorry I missed the deal.
Those lights are suhweet. And the ability to change the color individually is so cool.

Keep an eye on the M1710 - same chassis, better components including a Core Duo processor. Hopefully some of those $750 off coupons will start floating around in few months before they do a product refresh.

I know I'm going to be replacing my 700m with an M1210 as soon as I can.

Yea I got in when it was 1349$ for that base configeration. I added a 120GB 5400RPM drive for 20$ more. the Extra capacity was well worth the small trade off in rpm speed. Also I though I let you guys know you can get 400FSB Dothan chips and pin mod them to run at 400FSB getting a instant O/C. Example 1.7 pin mod would run at 2.26GHZ and you would be able to sell the 2.0 533FSB for cheap. Also check out Notebook Hardware Controll. You undervolt these cpu's quite a bit to have them run cooler and save battery. I have had this snice march and not a single problem. Also the GPU is very O/Cable. I am running mine at 450/1250 up from 400/1000 stock.

kidstechno said:
Dang, bought a Latitude D180 last fall for about $2k for school, bah.
You know you can add a 6800go card in there. It will beat the crap out of the X600 as long as your laptop came with the X600 you can do this mod.

Chris - how does the hot deals thing work? Do companies who advertise get to post or is it just any old joe blow? that kind of thing does seem like pretty direct advertising - in which case I would want to know that I was being advertised to. just curious. haven't checked it out yet, so my apologies if this is an obvious question. thanks!

lovemyPC said:
Chris - how does the hot deals thing work? Do companies who advertise get to post or is it just any old joe blow? that kind of thing does seem like pretty direct advertising - in which case I would want to know that I was being advertised to. just curious. haven't checked it out yet, so my apologies if this is an obvious question. thanks!
Well, currently, the companies in there that post directly are paying sponsors. Other than that, members of the forum are allowed to post specials, deals, and discounts that can be found around the internet. Like if someone has a 15% off coupon for Dell or something...

A few questions:
Is the vid card upgradable?
Is it the same chassis as the new 1710?
Is the newer 1710 much more powerful?

Rube said:
A few questions:
Is the vid card upgradable?
Is it the same chassis as the new 1710?
Is the newer 1710 much more powerful?
I wouldn't count on upgradeable graphics cards. It's hit and miss.

As far as I can see, it's the same chassis. The new M1710 has a Core Duo processor and a 7900GTX 512MB, so I'd say it's pretty damn powerful...

lovemyPC said:
Here is the thing Dell runs coupons for Dell Home all the time for Insprions but not the XPS line. I let you in on a little secret: the E1705=M1710 munis the lights and the 7900GTX. But you can always add a 7900 to an E1705 and make it a much cheaper XPS 1710
:D

I think this evaluation pretty much hit all the rights points. Despite the negative things that usually come with a Dell, like the extra software, lack of support for NVidia's driver's, etc, they do have some really good hardware. The XPS notebooks, imo are some of the best notebooks out there not because of its just a good piece of hardware, but it comes at a good price (if you wait for the right deal to come along).

Back