Dell XPS M1210 or Latitude D620?

jimnms

Gawd
I'm still trying to find a new notebook. I've been searching since November. I'm looking for a lightweight portable notebook with long battery life. It also has to have better than integrated graphics. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Dell XPS M1210 or the Latitude D620. I'd like to keep my price range at $1500 or less.

The XPS has a "256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 TurboCache" video card, and the D620 has a "256MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M TurboCache" card. How do these two cards compare? I wont be using it as a gaming notebook, but I will do photo editing and maybe play some Civ IV.

The XPS is more expensive (slightly above my budget), and only comes with Vista. I can get the D620 configured similarly for about $500 less with WinXP, and maybe find some coupon codes.

I can't find the battery life of the XPS with the 85W/hr 9-cell battery, but I think I saw it was about 5 hours or so. They show the D620 gets 7 hours with the 85W/hr 9-cell battery.

They both weigh 4.4lbs, but the D620 is bigger. I'm liking the size of the XPS, but the price and battery life have me leaning toward the D620. It all really comes down to the graphics. I know nothing about the NVIDIA Quadro chips.

I believe on the Dell website, the m1210 is rated for 7h 52m with a 9cell 85WHr battery.

I dont know about the graphics, but i just pulled a trigger on the m1210 and its on its way. Last week they had a promo with free grpahics upgrade =).

So someone might give you a better explaination on the graphics system

I just recently picked up a XPS 1210, and it's one of the best purchases I've made in some time. On battery, at 40% brightness, doing general word processing/surfing I get around 5.5 hours of battery life. My specs are below, and give me a VISTA index rating of 3.4 - the graphics subsystem is what 'brings down' my score (I'm pretty impressed that a notebook can get this kind of score in the first place!). I like the XPS because it feels really, really solid. They keyboard is ok (though my previous ASUS laptop had a better keyboard), and the trackpad is superb. Also, the AV package is really nice. My girlfriend loves using the camera to talk to her family in Brazil.

Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB) processor
2GB Corsair Value RAM (DDR 667 MHz)
80GB 7200RPM SATA HDD
12.1" Truebright Screen with full AV package (webcam mounted on bezel that can turn 180 degree, noise cancelling headphones, omnidirectional mic beside the webcam)
256MB NVIDIA Geforce Go 7400 TurboCache
8xCD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Integrated Audio
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless
85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
1 Year return to Depot Service, Complete Care and Technical Support
Windows Vista Premium Home Edition

I love the XPS m1210

I bought one in June (Core Duo, not C2D)

I believe the specs are in my sig.

I get around 4 hours with the 9 cell and 2.8 hours with the 6 cell, with the upgraded graphics, and usually half brightness and wifi running.

The laptop is very sleak and the screen is gorgeous. It's such a big difference compared to my 15.4 lappy.

I just recently picked up a XPS 1210, and it's one of the best purchases I've made in some time. On battery, at 40% brightness, doing general word processing/surfing I get around 5.5 hours of battery life. My specs are below, and give me a VISTA index rating of 3.4 - the graphics subsystem is what 'brings down' my score (I'm pretty impressed that a notebook can get this kind of score in the first place!). I like the XPS because it feels really, really solid. They keyboard is ok (though my previous ASUS laptop had a better keyboard), and the trackpad is superb. Also, the AV package is really nice. My girlfriend loves using the camera to talk to her family in Brazil.

Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB) processor
2GB Corsair Value RAM (DDR 667 MHz)
80GB 7200RPM SATA HDD
12.1" Truebright Screen with full AV package (webcam mounted on bezel that can turn 180 degree, noise cancelling headphones, omnidirectional mic beside the webcam)
256MB NVIDIA Geforce Go 7400 TurboCache
8xCD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Integrated Audio
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless
85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
1 Year return to Depot Service, Complete Care and Technical Support
Windows Vista Premium Home Edition

You're girlfriend is from Brazil?

...you bastard! I bet she's hot...

I want a hot girlfriend :(

Back