Dell XPS computers?

thecomputeraddict

Limp Gawd
Are they decent? Or are they shitty like other dell desktops? I really don't have the time to build a computer or patience. So I considered this or a mac.

Yeah, they are really good, depending on how you configure them and what type of shit you outfit them with. I know people who still have they're first and second gen XPS systems, off course they don't play anymore games, but they are really dependable workhorses.

Yeah they come pre-loaded with all bullshit software, but you can reinstall Vista all over and install all the programs and drivers that you need, therefore you won't have to clean up Dell's mess.

I'm still using mine, its great if you don't want to deal with building one. Just be careful that you get a good sized PSU in the unit or you will be limited on upgrades down the line.

I'd consider checking out some of the boutique builders,better prices,better quality,and better support.

Yeah, they are really good, depending on how you configure them and what type of shit you outfit them with. I know people who still have they're first and second gen XPS systems, off course they don't play anymore games, but they are really dependable workhorses.

Yeah they come pre-loaded with all bullshit software, but you can reinstall Vista all over and install all the programs and drivers that you need, therefore you won't have to clean up Dell's mess.

I would get one because of the power for a workhorse. I game on the ps3.

the 630 is actually a really good bye on paper with the discounts...but then a ton of problems got reported by buyers and I think they're still not fixed, so I wouldn't touch the 630 right now.

I have a Gen 4 that I'm passing on to my parents as a daily use computer. Still decent enough to play games at 1024..

I have an XPS 400 (pentium d 930 lolol), its still chuggin away.

+1 for dependibility

def needs an OS reinstall tho.

Unlike the majority of Dell's line, the XPS is a quality product.

Can you find cheaper computers on the market? Yes

Can you build a cheaper rig yourself? Yes

You do get a warranty with the XPS and you get much better costomer service than you would if you bought a budget box. I've owned a Gen 2 17" XPS laptop (thing was a beast) and it was one of the best computers I've owned.

Not bashing on Dell (I bought a laptop from them just last year) but do they offer lifetime tech support?
AND is that tech support outsourced?

i have dell xps m1530 and when i called xps support they didnt sound like they were outsourced

I have a friend who swares by XPS rigs. he has an XPS tower at home, and an XPS laptop he carries around, both of which he games on just perfectly. Personally, I think the XPS is one of the best alternatives to building your own rig, and next time I'm in the market for a new machine I'm sersiously considering just buying an XPS instead of building.

the 630 is actually a really good bye on paper with the discounts...but then a ton of problems got reported by buyers and I think they're still not fixed, so I wouldn't touch the 630 right now.

any links to these issues?

I was playing around with an XPS420 build for my dad but as mentioned the 630 is probably more expandable.

Edit: Doh, you said 630 and I thought D630 :p Silly me, I'll read the thread title next time.

yeah I was gonna buy a 630 a while back, but I decided to check their forums. And surprise! A TON of complaints about the 630...over heating, 100% fan problem, mobo failing, etc etc. There's a huge stickied thread dedicated to 630 problems that has not been fixed yet. I'm not sure if it's safe to buy now, but it definitely wasn't 2 months ago. I spent my money at AVADirect instead and my comp is running perfectly with some of the best wire management on the Antec 900.

I have a feeling the 630 issues will be resolved as they seemed minor.

My concern with Dell vs the smaller builders is that Dell is HUGE and I have no fear of them going anywhere anytime soon. On the other hand, I can't imagine there's a huge market for computers built by so called "boutiques" and with a struggling economy I question their longevity. If a company goes out of business their fancy service and warranty goes out the window with it and with a pre-built that's pretty much all you pay the premium for.

i think my friend had a old xps at college, im not sure but i think so (had a 9700pro mobile in it). i'd still avoid all dell things like the plague. too many problems and i know its a different product line but i can't bring myself to do it ;)

Are they decent? Or are they shitty like other dell desktops? I really don't have the time to build a computer or patience. So I considered this or a mac.

Well, the xps is: Big, lots of bright lights, and gets hot.

The mac pro is: Big, no bright lights, and gets hot.

If it it were me, I would get the mac. I am not a fan of flashy bright lights anymore.

why dont u just get velocity then? i dont discriminate dell, but its WAYY overpriced just like alienware. velocity actually builds computers with other parts, they dont make their own...

dell's not way overpriced...especially the 630, it's actually cheaper than all the boutiques mentioned on this board if combined with codes, which are almost always available. It's just like they have some issues, like I said above. But I believe the 720 and 730 dont have any of those problems.

Dell is definitely overpriced if you want a high end system.Once you start adding things like more powerful graphics cards and CPU's,the price skyrockets.Some of the boutiques can save you hundreds compared to comparable systems from Dell.

Dell is definitely overpriced if you want a high end system.Once you start adding things like more powerful graphics cards and CPU's,the price skyrockets.Some of the boutiques can save you hundreds compared to comparable systems from Dell.

They are all expensive once they start weighing 70lbs, and really though the XPS line is for gaming, its high end workstation material. What you really get by going through Apple or Dell is their warranty and a solid machine.

After 2 of my home built workstations failed, I decided I would continue to build my gaming rigs as they arent mission critical for me, but I need a stable workstation. I picked up the G5 in my sig on the cheap (700) and I haven't regretted it for a minute. Its replacement will be either a Sun Ultra 20/40 type system or a Mac Pro. Expensive as hell, but I know for a fact they will out live anything I build.

Ok, on one of Dell's XPS machines they are offering Dual 9800 GT in SLI but to step up to a single GTX 280 it will cost you $500 more.

According to NewEgg two 9800 GT's are about $250 total. The price for this system was $1839.
When you upgrade to the GTX 280 the price is now $2339

Yep, thats $500 but shouldn't the system only be around $2139 with the GTX 280?
Because surely you would take off the price of the dual 9800's and then add your $500 to the system, right?

No, with Dell, you're paying for all three cards.

Am I making sense?

If you go to a boutiques online configurator and you had dual 9800's in your build and you were scrolling through the video cards, each one would have the price difference to swap it out next to it. Like EVGA GTX 280 +$342.00 for example.
They are taking into account the cost of whats already in your build and adding the difference of the upgrade.

So what Dell is telling me is that a GTX 280 is going to cost $750 bucks. And I am being conservative here because I have no idea what Dell is actually charging for the 9800 GT's.

Is my logic here way off? Am I missing something? Please someone, tell me I'm wrong and then explain to my limited intellect what I am missing.

If I am right, however, those are Alienware prices, which nowadays, is over the top.

By the way, a comparable system with another booteek is the same price and that comes with lifetime tech support, a motherboard and PSU that you know what they are and arguably a better quality build.

I like Dell, for reasons that escape me at the moment, but there ARE cheaper, better options available.

Either way, good luck with your research and I hope you find something that suits you.

If you aren't going to game on it get an HP Pavillion or a Vostro and save a grand or so...

My parent's Pavillion was bought about 6 months ago and I cracked it open, replaced the quad with a E6750, and noticed the cooler and mobo are both supplied by ASUS. It's held up really well so far!

Back