dell xp installation disk on non dell computer?

will this work? i got a disk with a dell computer my parents bought it says: Operating system reinstallation cd already installed on your computer microsoft windows xp service pack2.

this software is alredy installed on your computer only use this cd to reinstall the os on a dell computer.

my question is could this disk be used to install windows xp on my other computer?iv tried it and during installation it gets up to the part that says windows will continue windows installation after reboot it reboots then starts installation from the beggining.

im pretty sure the hd is empty and i thinkm it previously had a bad virus on it also during installation it says some of the files cannot be copied from the disk plz help me :( thanx...

I wouldn't even be asking how to do this for the following reasons:

1. License agreement: XP is meant to be installed on one system at a time. If it's already on the Dell and running currently running on the Dell, you can't activate it on YOUR system.

2. Dell version on a a regular system? Go buy yourself a real version of XP for your system, then ask us the installation questions later.

Dinh said:
Useless. Dell Reinstallation CDs are locked to the BIOS.

Yes and I tried this already when i needed the xp disk while waiting for the right toshiba disk to arrive and the Dell one didn't even work.

well thx for the help do u think a normal xp cd would work ? i only tried this one because i wanted to see if my compuer would still work because it previously had a virus if it workd on planning on buyin another xp cd i would of bought another one first but prices are ridiculous for computer stuff where i live (xp home edition $250 1 gig o ddr2 333 ram $330 and it aint even good ram )= i live in new zealand and our prices are shit! thx for help.

Dinh said:
Useless. Dell Reinstallation CDs are locked to the BIOS.

Kinda right. The cds are locked to the bios to activate. You can install the os on another machine. You just then have to give it a legit xp key once you install it so it can activate.

Not all Dell's cds are the same. Some of the earlier ones, also had the drivers on the same disc,locking it to the machine it was installed on. Either way, it definitely isn't a legit use of the cd.

Ciggarillo Himself said:
well thx for the help do u think a normal xp cd would work ? i only tried this one because i wanted to see if my compuer would still work because it previously had a virus if it workd on planning on buyin another xp cd i would of bought another one first but prices are ridiculous for computer stuff where i live (xp home edition $250 1 gig o ddr2 333 ram $330 and it aint even good ram )= i live in new zealand and our prices are shit! thx for help.
when you install xp, simply reformat the entire hd and you won't have to worry about the virus.

BIGDADDY51 said:
Not all Dell's cds are the same. Some of the earlier ones, also had the drivers on the same disc,locking it to the machine it was installed on. Either way, it definitely isn't a legit use of the cd.

I didn't think it mattered what CD is used (as long as it's the same SKU), just had to be sure not to use the same key more than once.

Back