Dell Windows XP Home Edition Tech Upgrade

Thermite Paste

Supreme [H]ardness
I got a dell dimension desktop for free, but the hard drive was removed because the person i got it from was particular about saving their files. So i want to reinstall windows on it, and the sticker on it says windows xp home edition tech upgrade. Can i use a windows xp home cd with this key to install windows? or do i have to get a special cd from dell for it?

If you have the original restore disk(s) from Dell, that will put the OS back on the HDD, format the drive and install all of the generic drivers used on that model of desktop. If not, any OS will work as well without problem as long as the new key isn't presently activated. It won't have all of the Dell bells and whistles (as if you actually need them)

Well, i was basically wondering if i could activate windows xp home edition with that key. I don't have any of the dell cd's that came with the computer, but i could ask if the person i got it from has them. I doubt it though.

Well, to answer my own question, i decided to go ahead and try it. Windows XP Home Ed. accepted the cd key, and activated sucessfully in windows.

So there you go :)

The short answer is yes.

Any XP Home CD will be able to use your key off the side of your Dell....however it will most likely NOT activate....at least until you Telephone to activate and go through the process of assuring Microsoft that it is the only copy of that liscencsed software running on a computer.

Back