• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dell vs. Gateway

Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Messages
541
Well, my mom agreed to pay for my new LCD monitor but I'm confused as to which one is the best monitor. Its between the Gateway 21" LCD and the Dell 2005FPW...now from straight specs. the gateway has a faster response time and...i forgot the dells brightness but i know gateways is 350cd right? i just dunno which one is the better monitor...i play games and watch movies a lot on my computer and currently i have a crappy 17" CRT by HP that ive had for close to 5 years! lol...so yea, time to upgrade...any suggestions will be very helpful...oh and btw i work at future shop so i have direct access to viewing the gateway any day and it looks nice from what ive seen...but havent had a chance to really mess around with it yet...
 
get the gateway. That's what I have. Sure it is more expensive, but it is more future proof with hdcp support. It is an awesome lcd. a word of caution though, some people complained about a buzzing noise, it usually goes away when brightness is turned above 85. It doesn't bother me. Unless u have sensitive hearing and a quiet pc, it probably won't bother u either.
 
i wish i could get the gateway its nice, i havent seen a dell in person, but i ordered one a couple days ago, it was 150 cheaper than the gateway.
 
I would say get the Gateway. I also just ordered a 2005FPW a couple days ago and probably would have got the Gateway if it wasn't $175 more.

Side note, with all the users I've seen on here saying they've bought a 2005FPW in the last few days or weeks, they must be FLYING off the shelves at Dell.
 
WCES Ryan said:
I would say get the Gateway. I also just ordered a 2005FPW a couple days ago and probably would have got the Gateway if it wasn't $175 more.

Side note, with all the users I've seen on here saying they've bought a 2005FPW in the last few days or weeks, they must be FLYING off the shelves at Dell.
the 2005fpw is better than the Gateway monitor. Trust me, I own the fpd2185w from Gateway and I'm returning it. The buzzing noise, gradient banding, dark component output all lead to be unsatisfied with this monitor. The 2005fpw is an excellent deal for the price. I just ordered mine on thursday and hope to get it on Saturday.
 
hrmmm looks like more people like the gateway...i thought the buzzing sound was only on a few of the gateways...if its a prob i can always just take it in to work and exchange it...or heck i can test it out at work and return it right away :p
 
I too was debating between the FPD2185 and the 2005FPW, and after much research I went for the Gateway FPD2185. It's a darn nice monitor. I went to check it out at the store and it was love at first sight. I now run it in a dual monitor setup with a Dell 2001FP. Much better colors too when compared side by side. Ordered mine at OfficeDepot.com and used a $30 off coupon, then did the instore pickup option. Bringing the total to $612

As for the buzzing some people must have really good hearing or I musta got a good one. It's so quiet I can only hear it if I literally put my ear up to the power button. Not noticeable at all for me otherwise. No dead pixels, no banding problems.

Best of Luck,
Latex
 
Does anyone else with a Gateway want to leave their comments in this thread?

I was thinking about holding off on my LCD purchase until the new Dell's came out, but as luck would have it, my 21" Trinitron just died earlier today (RIP buddy :( ). So if anyone had some last minute comments about the Dell vs the Gateway, please share! Save me from this 15" LCD! Make my purchasing decision easier! :D
 
SkuLLy|RT said:
Does anyone else with a Gateway want to leave their comments in this thread?

I was thinking about holding off on my LCD purchase until the new Dell's came out, but as luck would have it, my 21" Trinitron just died earlier today (RIP buddy :( ). So if anyone had some last minute comments about the Dell vs the Gateway, please share! Save me from this 15" LCD! Make my purchasing decision easier! :D
A new dell 20 or 21" Widescreen? I don't care about a 30" model. I don't want that big of a monitor. I'm thinking pretty soon after the 30" WS is released, dell will need to release a new WS monitor in the 20 - 21" range.
 
The buzzing noise is annoying but the #1 killer for me is the dark component output. I bought this monitor to use with my Xbox360 as well and the video is just too dark. I have to depend on the individual games having gamma adjustments.
 
Bloops, the 20" Dell widescreen vs the 21" Gateway widescreen.

With a 24" Dell widescreen I'd think you'd have to be on the bleeding edge of video card tech to keep up with that native res. I don't even want to imagine how it'd be with a 30".

So yeah, for me, it's a decision between the 20" and 21" widescreens. :)
 
Gmeister said:
The buzzing noise is annoying but the #1 killer for me is the dark component output. I bought this monitor to use with my Xbox360 as well and the video is just too dark. I have to depend on the individual games having gamma adjustments.

Did you ever test the Gateway using the 360's VGA cable?
 
SkuLLy|RT said:
Bloops, the 20" Dell widescreen vs the 21" Gateway widescreen.

With a 24" Dell widescreen I'd think you'd have to be on the bleeding edge of video card tech to keep up with that native res. I don't even want to imagine how it'd be with a 30".

So yeah, for me, it's a decision between the 20" and 21" widescreens. :)
Exactly, for the 24", you'd need to be running an SLI setup with the current generation graphic cards to run games at a decent frame rate.
 
SkuLLy|RT said:
Did you ever test the Gateway using the 360's VGA cable?
I did, but the Gateway automatically stretches the image to the whole screen. There are no options in VGA mode to set the image size (ie... 1:1, widescreen etc...). The Dell 2005fpw allows for those options in VGA and DVI mode.
 
Gmeister said:
I did, but the Gateway automatically stretches the image to the whole screen. There are no options in VGA mode to set the image size (ie... 1:1, widescreen etc...). The Dell 2005fpw allows for those options in VGA and DVI mode.

That's kind of odd, lol. Anyone else notice this same problem?
 
I bought the Gateway 21" WS for the simple reason that I could get an "over the counter replacement" warranty through Futureshop. Shipping is all fine and good, but if my monitor dies, I want to have a replacement asap. And besides, after looking at it in person, I couldn't resist. I haven't actually seen a Dell 2005FPW, but I do really like my Gateway.

As for the buzzing, yeah, I notice a little one - when my computer's fans are slowed down during idle time. But it's nothing compared to the buzzing of my old CRT. I guess it depends what you're used to.

I don't think this is an ideal monitor to use as a primary display for component/composite inputs. If that's your focus, look elsewhere... The alternate video inputs are nice to have if you're going to hook up a VCR or something to your LCD just for busting out old VHS tapes for nostalgia purposes (I know, not DVD, wtf?).

Just FYI if you're not familiar with widescreen sizes, a 21" widescreen like the Gateway is the same height as a 18" 4:3 LCD, but about 4" wider. It's really nice for watching TV or widescreen movies. :)

LCDH.JPG
 
Back
Top