Dell UP3017 - Anyone? (a brief background and recent 4K experience)

dchobaby

Weaksauce
Is anyone using this monitor that has any feedback to provide? Haven't heard much buzz about it other than its announcement by Dell a few weeks ago.

Having previously owned the 3011 and 3014, I am excited to receive mine today. I had a good run after the 3014 with a 27" ROG Swift (PG279Q), but was already spoiled in the real estate and colors departments. I also tried a 21:9 LG ultrawide, but found the vertical height too short.

Fast forward to last week, where I'm trying to research every 4K TV monitor thread possible. Tried out the 40" Samsung KU6300 but experienced juddering in game mode at 4k60P which was a deal breaker. Returned it for a 49" Samsung KS8000 (worth noting - a beautiful display). The juddering was largely gone, but I couldn't get comfortable with the expanse of screen <3 feet from my face, and the performance limitations of even a pair of 1080's at 4K were evident.

So here we are today. Not sure why I wrote this. Excited and felt like rambling I guess.

Please update with your thoughts and how things go. I actually wasn't aware of this display until very recently and I want to see some tests/thoughts.

I agree. Having owed wide gamut monitors for years now, color accuracy really spoils you. Check out that coverage on the UP3017- 99% of all current recs- even DCI-P3.

Also interested in your thoughts and/or photos.

There also appears to be a massive discount going on right now from Dell (as of 8/17/16): Dell UltraSharp 30 Monitor with PremierColor | UP3017

If you dont mind, I'd like to see it in portrait mode. I haven't seen a 30" with pivot before.
I've always had to get crappy after market stands for it. I wonder if that srand could hold my current monitors. I know they are quite a bit heavier than the u3017.

Sorry for the delayed response guys! Please also forgive my lack of technicality and subjectivity that follows.

I've been using the monitor for a week now and am satisfied. To be brutally honest, in my application, it feels very similar to it's predecessors (i.e. U3011, U3014). In gaming and web browsing, colors are just as vibrant and rich as they previously were, same for input lag. The biggest adjustment I am overcoming is the transition back to 60hz from my 165hz Swift. But because I don't play ultra competitive FPS, I'll take color accuracy and real estate over speed. Backlight glow does appear to be improved over the U3014, and I am happy to report that my unit arrived free of defective pixels... at least from what I've seen!)

In terms of look and feel, this monitor is much lighter than the U3011 and U3014. I believe it is just under 15 lbs (without the stand), which is very close to the smaller, 27" Swift, and may open up more options for monitor arms. I don't think the bezel size has changed (it feels huge compared to the Swift, lol), but from some angles appears to be smaller, which I believe is an illusion from the very slim profile. As for the stand, it comes in 2 pieces: one is the vertical riser, and the other being the base plate - both are in the box as I am using a monitor arm. (and for anyone that cares, the U3017 box is smaller than its predecessors and the Swift, which is actually quite large.)

Regrettably this is the only picture I have right now. Let me know if you guys have any questions or requests! gan7114 is correct in that there is (or was?) a good sale going on. I got mine from Dell for $1147 shipped overnight) which is a pretty good deal, I think!

20160816_190929.jpg

I recently purchased a 35" Acer ZX350cu and I like the Dell 3014 better.

Sure there are nice things about a 35" curved monitor with 144Hz freesync, but I played about a days worth of gaming on the 35" curved, and when I put back up my 30" Dell 3014 - I felt a sigh of relief, and a feeling of I'm back home.

My particular ZX350CU had some bad backlight bleed, and the colors and clarity were a bit lacking compared to the Dell 3014.

Sure there are nice things about a 35" curved monitor with 144Hz freesync, but I played about a days worth of gaming on the 35" curved, and when I put back up my 30" Dell 3014 - I felt a sigh of relief, and a feeling of I'm back home.

My particular ZX350CU had some bad backlight bleed, and the colors and clarity were a bit lacking compared to the Dell 3014.

What did you think of the Acer's size? I briefly had a 34" LG 21:9 and found it too short after using 16:10. I'm 100% with you on the feeling of being back home though. I think the 3014/equivalents don't try to be too ambitious but excel in what they offer.

What did you think of the Acer's size? I briefly had a 34" LG 21:9 and found it too short after using 16:10. I'm 100% with you on the feeling of being back home though. I think the 3014/equivalents don't try to be too ambitious but excel in what they offer.
Yeah the height change did bother me on the 35". I seemed to really limit my vertical view in games. But I wasn't sure if that was related to which of these aspects though? 1) 34" or 35" 21:9 ratio monitors are roughly equivalent to 27" 16x9 monitors in physical screen height so I lost screen size there. 2). 2560x1080 is a lot less vertical resolution than 2560x1600 which was pretty obvious as well in any game but an FPS title. Especially obvious in Path of Exile and RTS based games.

So yeah. Everything felt short for one of those two reasons, but without more experiences I can't tell why. I guess since you tried 3440x1440, and had a similar synapsis, Perhaps it's the smaller overall physical height size missed?

Yeah the height change did bother me on the 35". I seemed to really limit my vertical view in games. But I wasn't sure if that was related to which of these aspects though? 1) 34" or 35" 21:9 ratio monitors are roughly equivalent to 27" 16x9 monitors in physical screen height so I lost screen size there. 2). 2560x1080 is a lot less vertical resolution than 2560x1600 which was pretty obvious as well in any game but an FPS title. Especially obvious in Path of Exile and RTS based games.

So yeah. Everything felt short for one of those two reasons, but without more experiences I can't tell why. I guess since you tried 3440x1440, and had a similar synapsis, Perhaps it's the smaller overall physical height size missed?

Yes for sure, the physical height of the 34" LG I used was actually less than the 27" ROG Swift that replaced it. Such a shame because the added peripheral vision was nice.

Sorry for the delayed response guys! Please also forgive my lack of technicality and subjectivity that follows.

I've been using the monitor for a week now and am satisfied. To be brutally honest, in my application, it feels very similar to it's predecessors (i.e. U3011, U3014). In gaming and web browsing, colors are just as vibrant and rich as they previously were, same for input lag. The biggest adjustment I am overcoming is the transition back to 60hz from my 165hz Swift. But because I don't play ultra competitive FPS, I'll take color accuracy and real estate over speed. Backlight glow does appear to be improved over the U3014, and I am happy to report that my unit arrived free of defective pixels... at least from what I've seen!)

In terms of look and feel, this monitor is much lighter than the U3011 and U3014. I believe it is just under 15 lbs (without the stand), which is very close to the smaller, 27" Swift, and may open up more options for monitor arms. I don't think the bezel size has changed (it feels huge compared to the Swift, lol), but from some angles appears to be smaller, which I believe is an illusion from the very slim profile. As for the stand, it comes in 2 pieces: one is the vertical riser, and the other being the base plate - both are in the box as I am using a monitor arm. (and for anyone that cares, the U3017 box is smaller than its predecessors and the Swift, which is actually quite large.)

Regrettably this is the only picture I have right now. Let me know if you guys have any questions or requests! gan7114 is correct in that there is (or was?) a good sale going on. I got mine from Dell for $1147 shipped overnight) which is a pretty good deal, I think!

View attachment 7060

Could you post more pics, please? I sold the gazillion monitors I had and picked up U3017 brand new refurb for $670. I've had a fantastic experience with Dell monitors since 2008. I wanted to get a PWM free monitor for my wife since she's still using NEC 302W - great monitor nevertheless.

I tried all those "exotic" resolutions and sizes at Microcenter and didn't like any of them. At first, I didn't want to make a switch but 2560x1440 27" is a perfect size in my view. Then, it's 2560x1600 30" - I wish the companies were pushing this resolution and size more.

Back