Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC

isai95

Limp Gawd
Is this monitor still a good one for every day regular computer use like working with business apps? It's about $1,025.00 shipped. I couldn't find the Samsung 305T for less than $1,300.00 shipped.

That's a fantastic price and I know where you got it, 'cuz I'm considering the same thing. The one drawback is there's no way to return it if you don't like it. The warranty is valid, so Dell will honor any exchanges for 3 years. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is that the 2708 is rumored to be close to release. I want to see what its specs are before making a final decision.

I want one actually, but i refuse to pay Dells Canadian rip off price of $1600. It hasn't seen a sale up here in ages.

I know what you mean, but anything newer will be more money.
True. My only interest is whether the 2708 might have a higher resolution than 1920x1200. My 2407 has the same resolution, so I wouldn't gain any screen "real estate" by jumping to the 2707. Still, that price for a 3007WFP-HC is awfully tempting.

On a side note, my Huey calibrator arrived today. I'm going to try it on my 2407 and see if there's really anything to all the hype about proper calibration.

Well, I finally calibrated my 2407 and I think it looked a helluva lot better BEFORE calibration. The calibrated profile seems dull and washed out compared to how my LCD looks in its original state. I ran the Huey on my MBP's screen, too. Same result as with my 2407. FWIW, I'm not going to let all the calibration talk influence my next LCD purchase.

Well, I finally calibrated my 2407 and I think it looked a helluva lot better BEFORE calibration. The calibrated profile seems dull and washed out compared to how my LCD looks in its original state. I ran the Huey on my MBP's screen, too. Same result as with my 2407. FWIW, I'm not going to let all the calibration talk influence my next LCD purchase.
Not unexpected. The cheap Huey got a so-so review here: http://www.behardware.com/articles/626-7/monitor-calibration-for-0-to-100.html

And it is mentioned in this LCD thread by xtknight, "...the Huey Pro which is really just a beginner's colorimeter. "
http://forums.anandtech.com/message...DFRM=&STARTPAGE=142&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Like LCD screens, it seems with H/W calibrators and their software, you get what you pay for.

The calibrators are meant to make the screen have real life colors. Which do look dull. When I look at a leaf or grass outside it isn't a bright vibrant green, it's just green and dull. I much prefer the vibrant look that my screen gives.

If you're not doing photographic or color production work... why even bother to calibrate? Even though the Huey is low end, it does get you to a proper color calibration, which is dull and washed out as you put it. That's what real colors look like in ie..in your photographs. And depending on the program you use, you need to set the correct profile and color space to actually see the corrected calibrated colors. It's a little involved hence.. if you're not doing color reproduction work... why bother?

If you're not doing photographic or color production work... why even bother to calibrate? Even though the Huey is low end, it does get you to a proper color calibration, which is dull and washed out as you put it. That's what real colors look like in ie..in your photographs. And depending on the program you use, you need to set the correct profile and color space to actually see the corrected calibrated colors. It's a little involved hence.. if you're not doing color reproduction work... why bother?
Very simple: I wanted to see for myself what the debate was all about. In case you hadn't noticed, there are several threads dealing with calibration, IPS vs. S-PVA, 3007WFP vs. 305T, etc.

Not unexpected. The cheap Huey got a so-so review here: http://www.behardware.com/articles/626-7/monitor-calibration-for-0-to-100.html

And it is mentioned in this LCD thread by xtknight, "...the Huey Pro which is really just a beginner's colorimeter. "
http://forums.anandtech.com/message...DFRM=&STARTPAGE=142&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Like LCD screens, it seems with H/W calibrators and their software, you get what you pay for.
Yeah, it was cheap, but I got a general idea of what calibration is and isn't. I sure as hell wasn't going to invest a few hundred $$ in a device I'd use once or twice.

I want one actually, but i refuse to pay Dells Canadian rip off price of $1600. It hasn't seen a sale up here in ages.

Weren't you a hardcore CRT guy just a year ago? LOL. Welcome to the dark side! I couldn't go back to CRT now...

we have the 3007WFP-HC's on my ebay store for $900+shipping. Excess inventory from a large fortune 500 banking client that switched vendors.

we have the 3007WFP-HC's on my ebay store for $900+shipping. Excess inventory from a large fortune 500 banking client that switched vendors.
how about listing some for sale here on the forum so you can save on ebay fees and pass the savings on to us ;)

Back