Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP really worth it?

Bmei

n00b
Hey, I am looking for a really good 24 inch monitor for games/movies, but mainly for games :) and I was wondering if the Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP really worth $800CAD? or may you guys recommend me some other good monitors that is 24inch and 1920x1200 resolution please and thanks!.

No its not worth 800 cad.

In the U.S. it can be had for about 377 cad.

At that price, yes, it is worth it.

wow $377...damn...why can't we have that here :( is there a different monitor may you guys recommend? I want a 24inch monitor badly lol I am using a samsung 226bw atm.

I would say no. For $827.94 there is the HP LP 2475W at onhop.ca. Or, there is the Samsung 2443BW 24" for $329.98 at NCIX.com, It's a TN panel but, it's a good all around TN panel lcd monitor

WTF, where are you getting a price tag of $800CAD and thinking that's the baseline street price? :confused:

It's like doing a Google product search and going with that one store that still sells FX 5200s for $1,200. :D

Best price in Canada has been $430 (not incl tax)

I bought one at this price and returned it ( http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1264046&page=57 )

I use a 24" Apple ACD at work and it is much better than the 2408WFP, aside from the glossiness and the horrible lack of connectivity options.

I am thinking of getting a 2490wuxi, but I noticed recently that I much prefer a 20" pixel pitch (like 0.254 or something) rather than the 24" pixel pitch. I am thinking of going 30", but the 3007WFP seems to suck for graphic design and that is the only sub $1000 30" panel available in Canada.

$800CAD after tax at the dell canada store.

$430 in Canada where?

and if I do not get the Dell monitor, the Samsung 2443bw is good?

That sounds awfully expensive. The Dell 2408WFP has shipped for under $450 US with instant rebates and coupons.

My Dell SX2210 has .248 mm dot pitch!! :)
The main problem with TN displays is the viewing angle.
And I think bigger size TN will just exaggerate that weakness.

Yes, the Samsung 2443BW is a good well rounded TN panel. It may not be an 8 bit panel monitor like the Dell 2408WFP but, the Dell 2408WFP is known for input lag. You don't want this especially for high fps gaming. I use to see the Samsung 2443BW selling at my local Costco for $350. Seems like one user is happy with his Samsung 2443BW monitor. Plus, it has height adjustment to.

Heh, the user in the link has the same Samsung 226BW as you! What a coincidence!

$800CAD after tax at the dell canada store.

$430 in Canada where?

and if I do not get the Dell monitor, the Samsung 2443bw is good?

ah ok thanks, I will probably get the Samsung if I cant find a cheaper Dell... does anyone know where they sell it for cheaper?

Wow, they really rip off Canadians. At Dell USA site, they give a free 3 year premium panel warranty on the SX2210. That means if you get dead pixels or whatever you can exchange it. I don't see that offered on the Dell Canada site. I wonder why the different policy? Oh I think NCIX allows you to buy a 'dead pixel' guarantee with your monitor. It costs a little extra, but I think it's worth it for the peace of mind and in case anything goes wrong. "Express coverage" costs an extra 16.50 on the Samsung.

BTW the BenQ 2400HD is selling on that same site for 249.99.
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=34465&vpn=E2400HD&manufacture=BenQ&promoid=1016

So you can save $70 vs the Sammy. And the input lag on the 2400HD appears to be nearly nonexistent.
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3449&p=8

It's one drawback though is that it seems to do 720P poorly. So there is some weakness to the display.

Last edited:
Yes, the Samsung 2443BW is a good well rounded TN panel. It may not be an 8 bit panel monitor like the Dell 2408WFP but, the Dell 2408WFP is known for input lag. You don't want this especially for high fps gaming.

The input lag was addressed in revision A01. With the latest revision A02 for the 2408WFP you should experience no noticeable input lag unless you are a competitive online FPS gamer where a fraction of a second matters in which case you would want to buy a TN panel that has almost zero input lag. The average input lag for a Dell 2408wfp A02 is around 33ms. The 3007WFP-HC that everyone buys for a 30" gaming monitor has an average input lag of around 28ms so very little difference.

Last edited:
well since I cannot get a cheaper 2408wfp would the 2443BW be a good for its price? and how long would this monitor last? iv used the 226bw for almost 2years.

The price that I am paying for a 2408wfp is 325 CAD, but that's a refurb. This is the final cost with shipping and insurance.

Us in Canada are getting ripped off at the moment on this. NCIX needs to stock these at a competitive price so that us Canucks can have them more readily... at under 400 USD, these are great investments.

check ebay, there's a seller that sells refurbished 2408wfps for 275 and brand new ones for 375, his user name is chrishonda123, really good seller to deal with

Back