• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP - Problems / Solutions?

Pacwageo

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 20, 2007
Messages
103
Hey guys,

Recently one of my 2007FP monitors has begun to flicker / blink to the point where I can no longer use it. It cuts out, blinks with lines through it and distorts the image beyond usability.

I've spent the better half of today trying to debug it. I've replaced the cables (power and input), I've tried using various VGA and DVI-D cables, and using different ports on the video card. I even went out of my way to move the monitor by itself to another machine. Same issue no matter what. I know it's not a compatibility issue because my other 2007FP works just fine.

Sounds like my monitor might be done. If it is, I would definitely like to replace it. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get a new one for as cheap as possible? Also, is there any preference over refurb and new?

Any recommendations for my situation would be much appreciated :)
 
I recall seeing refurbs from Dell for around $90 at one time, I think. Or perhaps they were considered used, not refurbs... I forget.

Isn't that the model that comes in PVA and IPS flavors? What version is your failing one? The only issue may be getting a panel that matches what you have now (assuming you want the same).

And unfortunately I think new ones are rather expensive, around $400. I guess it's more a niche sort of model, so they charge more than they really should be.
 
For IPS, maybe you can try calling Dell, and see if an agent can tell you if any refurbs (or new ones) they are selling is IPS or not. I seem to recall a thread somewhere where the agents were able to say which refurbs were IPS, which PVA, but not sure if they still do that. Or if in fact they even have any refurbs left.

Otherwise, I guess you either play the panel lottery or order a used one from eBay, where the seller states clearly it's IPS.

Edit:

You can maybe try these guys if you can't find a good deal anywhere else:
http://insightsystemsonline.com/Product.aspx?Id=94

I think the $135 Dell, 20"er is a 2007FP (although am not certain). I have no idea if the company is decent or not, but I emailed them once about questions regarding their Eizos. They replied super quick, and seemed friendly enough, so perhaps they can tell you if their models are IPS or not. The 3 year warranty is nice, assuming they stand behind it.

They also sell on eBay, so it may be cheaper, depending on shipping costs, to order from eBay and get a squaretrade warranty instead. Depends entirely on how much they charge to ship.
 
Last edited:
Display white on the screen and touch it with your finger. For S-PVA you should see a sort of shadow circle with inverted X shape.

Kind of unrelated, but lately my 2005FPW has started flickering the picture manically at turn on.. then after about 60 seconds it settles down to normal as it warms up.
 
Back
Top