Dell U2713HM

Dell will continue to be Dell regardless of who owns it, they are not shutting shop and going into liquidation mode, which means extended warranties will be honored for sure.

Just an FYI for everyone. I had a U2713HM with a build date of September. The USB 3.0 ports were very flaky so I asked for a new replacement. After some minor shenanigans (first replacement was dead), I received one built in November.

I cannot detect a difference between these two monitors. September built monitor had a minor (to me) crosshatching pattern and buzzed (I had to struggle to hear it) on full screen Wikipedia page. November built one is the same on both counts. USB 3.0 ports are less flaky, but still somewhat flaky on the new one as well.

The September one was assembled in Mexico versus China for the November one. That's the biggest difference I can detect!

alright I pulled the trigger on this..

ill check the build date.. and report back on its quality

If I have the option to buy one of these new or a Dell U2711 secondhand but with about 1.5years of warranty for the same price, what should I go for?

Just put my order in for one of these. 650 with free shipping and a 50 dollar gift card. After 5 years of 1440x900, I decided to go big.

Got mine today from Costco.com. It is going back though because it has the yellow bottom left corner. I hope I can get a good one without too much trouble.

Just got mine this morning from Amazon. It's perfect. Colors are excellent out of the box, no dead pixels.

I use a few ACD's and 27" iMacs at work, and this display is now easily my favorite.

how do i test for the green tint, cross hatching, and image retention?

You don't. If you don't notice then it isn't a problem. Don't go looking for issues.

I disagree. For $650+, it should be inspected for issues. Dell's quality control is purposefully crappy because they are counting on most people "not noticing".

it was delivered at 1. Ill be home soon to inspect it. I'll post pictures, the revision and the month it was made

I just ordered mine a few days ago and received it today. Rev A00 made in October 2012, seems a little strange? However it's great quality, no dead pixels and everything else seems great. Haven't noticed any buzzing or anything else that's been complained about in this thread.

where do i check the revision and creation date?

the monitor looks amazing so far, but I do have green tint at the bottom left corner.

I'm going to leave it for awhile and maybe ask for an exchange in a week or so. :(

also.. a couple of the buttons on the right dont work either -_-" only the top 2 and the power.

Last edited:
I processed a replacement through Amazon. does anybody know if they are sending refurbished ones as replacements?

This is how bad it is on mine... incredible.

new one gets here today though. thank god for amazon. basically next day shipping at no cost to me and i didnt have to mail mine back first.

Hopefully the second is better.

photo.JPG

Damn, maybe I shouldn't have looked at this thread. Now I notice diagonal crosshatching on white backgrounds and a good amount of backlight bleed in the lower left corner on dark backgrounds. But man, this thing is massive, its nearly 3 of my old monitors in portrait eyefinity.

I have this high pitched whine rather than buzzing - anyone else with this issue?

Yes, that "whine" is the buzzing people are referring to. It'll change tone based on what colors are displayed. Open HardForum in one tab, then Wikipedia in another... if you switch between them back and forth you'll notice the whine change.

My Rev. 00, Manufactured Oct 2012.
IMG_4054.jpg

Noticeable bleed from the lower left corner. It doesnt bother me during normal use, only during low light, dark backgrounds.

My Rev. 00, Manufactured Oct 2012.
IMG_4054.jpg

Noticeable bleed from the lower left corner. It doesnt bother me during normal use, only during low light, dark backgrounds.

that looks better then both of mine.

the second one i got is the same revision and creation month.

I have a u2711, is there any way to adjust the brightness from within windows (not having to touch the panel)?

my third u2713hm gets here tomorrow.

Amazon has been pretty cool about the whole thing tbh.

the third one they said they would check themselves so we will see :O

FFS!!

After managing to mitigate my earlier image-retention issues (by knocking back the brightness and contrast) my monitor has been fine for a couple of months.

However, today the backlight started to flicker. It was absolutely fine one minute then bam! The backlight starts flickering. It's not noticeable on all content but mid-greys/mid-tones seem to be bring it out. The OSX login screen (fabric texture one) seems to bring it out quite a lot (again it used to be fine) as do some websites which are dark (I think [H] is too dark though).

I have tried swapping the display-port lead and that didn't help. I have tried a factory reset on the monitor etc and still no dice. The worrying thing is it's noticeable on the "Warning no signal detected" box that pops up when you disconnect the cable (DP in my case). This is pointing to a hardware issue and another swap out.

I imagine my retailer is going to tell me to do one so I might have to go direct to Dell.

Seriously, what the fuck are Dell playing? Is their quality control really that bad these days? I am very disappointed. :(

EDIT:

I have tried to capture it on camera (using my phone) but it doesn't work. The flicker must be such that the camera cannot pick it up. Yet both myself and my wife can see it (and she's nowhere near as picky as I am).

Last edited:
After 3 U2713hms from Amazon with terrible backlight bleed with aoo revision and 9\12,10\12 and 11\12 production dates, got an exchange straight from Dell , same revision but production date of 1\13. This one still has the backlight bleed but it is minimal and is the best one yet. I think I will keep this one, I've tried a lot of monitors and I think this is one of the best 2560 x 1440 screens out there right now if you can manage to get a good one. The only thing I don't like is the fact that they changed their warranty, after 30 days on an exchange you get a refurb not new. Found it in the Dell forums posted by Dell effective 1\13.

After 3 U2713hms from Amazon with terrible backlight bleed with aoo revision and 9\12,10\12 and 11\12 production dates, got an exchange straight from Dell , same revision but production date of 1\13. This one still has the backlight bleed but it is minimal and is the best one yet. I think I will keep this one, I've tried a lot of monitors and I think this is one of the best 2560 x 1440 screens out there right now if you can manage to get a good one. The only thing I don't like is the fact that they changed their warranty, after 30 days on an exchange you get a refurb not new. Found it in the Dell forums posted by Dell effective 1\13.

It was 21 days to exchange through Dell in order to get a new one and not a refurb and it's been that way for a long time. If they changed it to 30 days now then that's great :).

tell me more;

does that mean you filed an RMA through Dell and completely bypassed Amazon? How long did it take for the exchange. Did they make you send yours back before you got a new one ?

thats what i like about amazon and why im waiting for them they are sending me new ones and letting me return the others on my own time. which is nice cause i sold my u2412m ;(

amazon is supposed to call me this week to tell me what dell says about getting me a better revision.

Dremic,
I figured all Amazon could do is ship from the stock they have on hand. I thought Dell would have a better shot at getting me one without terrible backlight bleed so I called them, told them how frustrated I was driving back and forth to the UPS store and was willing to give them one more shot. I thought if the one they sent me was bad I would just send it back and return the third one from Amazon
back to Amazon and try something else, probably an Asus PB278Q. Thankfully the one Dell sent me [overnighted from FedEx] had minimal bleed and I can put this all behind me. The one from Dell came with a return shipping label so the last one from Amazon is going back to Dell. I told Dell I got the last one from Amazon and they said that's fine just send it back to us. I guess after 30 days it won't matter because you would have to deal with Dell anyhow. I still think the U2713hm is one of the better IPS screens out there right now if you can get a good one and I have tried a lot of them. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Dremic,
I figured all Amazon could do is ship from the stock they have on hand. I thought Dell would have a better shot at getting me one without terrible backlight bleed so I called them, told them how frustrated I was driving back and forth to the UPS store and was willing to give them one more shot. I thought if the one they sent me was bad I would just send it back and return the third one from Amazon
back to Amazon and try something else, probably an Asus PB78Q. Thankfully the one Dell sent me [overnighted from FedEx] had minimal bleed and I can put this all behind me. The one from Dell came with a return shipping label so the last one from Amazon is going back to Dell. I told Dell I got the last one from Amazon and they said that's fine just send it back to us. I guess after 30 days it won't matter because you would have to deal with Dell anyhow. I still think the U2713hm is one of the better IPS screens out there right now if you can get a good one and I have tried a lot of them. Just my 2 cents worth.
no doubt ill call dell myself then if i dont hear from amazon

I had my 2713HM arrive on Tuesday, I've been using a Dell 2407-HC since Sept 07 and it's been a superb monitor and still is, I just fancied moving to a 27" and decided to get the 2713 after reading up on it, it actually cost less than my 2407 did over 5yrs ago. I do recall the 2407 originally came with 1 faulty pixel which was swapped out, and it's been absolutely brilliant over last 5yrs+.

So on reading the few issues some users were having I was half expecting this new 2713HM may have a couple too, but I'm pleased to report it has no bad pixels, and it does'nt appear to have any light bleed either, I also have not noticed any image retention problems or any issues with buzzing noises either... so all good here which is unusual for me..lol

I think this 2713 does have slightly more IPS flare, which one can detect by moving from optimum position when a black screen is shown in subdued light, in normal use it's fine, so it's all good, it certainly runs a lot cooler than the 2407 did, that got quite warm, the 2713 is cold in comparison.

I also bought the Dell 511 sound bar for it, which is the more expensive one of the 2, for anyone considering buying this, I can report it certainly looks and sounds a lot better than the standard 510 model.
Note however that ALL the enhanced 511 sound bars use a separate power supply as it needs 2amps and the monitor can only supply sufficient for the 510 if you wanted to power it off the actual monitor.
Also note, if you buy the cheaper AY510 soundbar that there are 2 models of it, one being the 510PA, note the PA version uses a separate Power Adapter (hence the PA) so you need the standard 510 model not the PA version... so buyer beware.

The AY511 sound bar does sound quite good but as expected lacks a little bass, but for their size the sound quality is not bad at all, AIS certainly better than the cheaper AY510 bar, the touch controls are not bad either, my only moan would be that it does not retain the settings such as volume level ect if it's powered off at the mains, it does retain the settings however as long as mains power is on even when speakers are turned off. I just happen to power everything off at night..lol.. but no big deal.. just a bit annoying. Certainly worth buying if your'e looking to save space on your desk & AIS unlike the AY10 it looks decent too, where the AY510 looks a little cheap..

So that's my experience with the 2713HM so far, I feel for those guys who have had to swap a couple to get a decent one, as it does seem luck of the draw, it's unusual for me to get a perfect one, as I'm the guy that nearly always ends up with one with issues..lol

Last edited:
does any1 know if the cross hatching issue is already fixed with the newest revisions?

is the crosshatching noticeable in gaming?

sorry double post

I've not not noticed any crosshatching at all, the anti-glare coating looks the same as my previous 2407HC Dell monitor, it's just has a small hint of glossy about it.. coating looks a pretty good compromise to me... certainly not seen anything in normal use or when playing Farcry 3 and other games.

Though I could now do with a more pokey graphics card, I'm using a GTX570, but think I'll be upgrading it shortly to a 680gtx, Farcry 3 plays okay but have noticed a slight drop in framerate due to the higher resolution screen, still nice tho. My 2713HM was manufactured Sept 12 and is rev.. A00, I don't think they have released any later revisions yet.

I paid £429 (as I'm in UK) with free delivery from Ebay, Dell authorised dealer.. which wasn't too bad...I had previous monitor from them and always found them pretty good, They ephasis the no bad pixel policy, if you get a bad one, another new one is shipped to you next day. I bought previous monitor from them over 5yrs ago and fact they are still trading and still have 100% feedback made me decide to use them again.

Last edited:
To be honest, has anyone taken a picture of the cross hatching? I've asked some people and they said the issue is blown way out of proportion, and unless your eyes are right in the screen then you won't notice it. Most of them were photographers who you think would pay attention to this kind of stuff.

Back