Dell U2713HM

Have any of you used the U2713HM connected to a PS3? Do you notice it changing calibration profiles back and forth? I got one of the newer U2713H's and it looks great in Windows, but when I tested it out on my PS3 over HDMI it kept flipping back and forth between a brighter warmish tent profile to a cold dimmer profile.

Strange. Have you tried setting the monitor to Game mode? How about ports? Do you have any other connector cables going into the monitor, like a DVI or DP? There could be some weird interference and the monitor driver doesn't like it when using HDMI. Just thinking here.

Have any of you used the U2713HM connected to a PS3? Do you notice it changing calibration profiles back and forth? I got one of the newer U2713H's and it looks great in Windows, but when I tested it out on my PS3 over HDMI it kept flipping back and forth between a brighter warmish tent profile to a cold dimmer profile.

Try to disable DDC/CI. Having it enabled allows controlling the monitor settings through PC software. Who knows, maybe that'll work. It works fine over PS3 for me.

WOW did they ever deliver FAST :eek:
Got the monitor tonight...
first impressions are very good....

No stuck pixels? (anyone have a link to the full screen color test??)
banding is not detectable at all, just a very smooth gradient with this test
image retention... none that I see yet (any links to test this?)
Color reproduction is pretty darn good out of the box.
Loaded the ICC profile from tftcentral, along with their hardware settings, and it now looks that much better :cool:

Strange. Have you tried setting the monitor to Game mode? How about ports? Do you have any other connector cables going into the monitor, like a DVI or DP? There could be some weird interference and the monitor driver doesn't like it when using HDMI. Just thinking here.

Try to disable DDC/CI. Having it enabled allows controlling the monitor settings through PC software. Who knows, maybe that'll work. It works fine over PS3 for me.

Not sure which one done it but setting it to Game mode and disabling DDC/CI seemed to of fixed it. Played for a few hours on the PS3 over HDMI and didn't have it change calibration profiles once.

Well I spoke too soon...
I think I see what appears to be dust under the screen's surface. Looks like it's between the LCD and backlight.

How do you y'all deal with the problem of fonts being too small (and some images) in your browser?

I had to install the firefox extension no-squint which remembers zoom level per-site but this is not good for me because I do development and need to see the pages naturally.

The dpi is just too high for this size, which is a strange thing to say but true, at least for me.

I miss my 2048x1152 monitor and I'm upset they don't make that resolution anymore.

@pwrusr: image retention test here: http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

Not sure which one done it but setting it to Game mode and disabling DDC/CI seemed to of fixed it. Played for a few hours on the PS3 over HDMI and didn't have it change calibration profiles once.

I think disabling DDC/CI did it. If so, that was a complete shot in the dark on my part, glad it worked. :)

Last edited:
How do you y'all deal with the problem of fonts being too small (and some images) in your browser?

I had to install the firefox extension no-squint which remembers zoom level per-site but this is not good for me because I do development and need to see the pages naturally.

The dpi is just too high for this size, which is a strange thing to say but true, at least for me.

I miss my 2048x1152 monitor and I'm upset they don't make that resolution anymore.

Get glasses? Font size is perfect on here.

I see 3 ICC profiles in the combination zip on TFT

which would you recommend for gaming / everyday use?

If you're using windows 7 you can rlight click on desktop and use the following steps:
Click personalize.
at the bottom left of the screen that pops up click display.
Choose 125% then apply
That should make everything 25% bigger

@pwrusr: image retention test here: http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html
Thanks... testing now.

Looks like I'm getting image retention. it's not VERY noticeable but I do see it nonetheless.

I have the same problem with small text and left side panel is yellowish so I returned it and wait for the 30 in with wide gamut. The 125% make text blurry I have been using 2408fwp the color is much better than the 27 in.

I have my Catleap 27" set up on an Ergotron MX arm... and the best way I've found to deal with small fonts is, well, to move the thing closer.

I have the same problem with small text and left side panel is yellowish so I returned it and wait for the 30 in with wide gamut. The 125% make text blurry I have been using 2408fwp the color is much better than the 27 in.
I think that the "yellowish" tint to the left side is a design flaw as mine has this as well...
It's not a huge issue, however between that, the slight image retention and the spec of dust that's on the right side of the display really is giving me second thoughts about keeping the panel.

Overall for most people who aren't picky and need a high rez monitor with decent colors (even if they aren't perfect) it's a good monitor.
I think that the image retention issue may go away after some use. the yellow tint also seems to dissipate after some time. That spec of dust however will never go away.

Yellow tints on left are a major issue on all large led panels, my 3 pb278qs had it too, need a compensator to get rid of it. Waiting on amazon to stock the 2713h (not hm) or the soon to be released 3013h which feature compensators. Was thinking of getting the nec 271w but that is almost three year old model with low contrast and aggressive ag, plus its a power hog due to ccfl backlight.

Well I spoke too soon...
I think I see what appears to be dust under the screen's surface. Looks like it's between the LCD and backlight.

I have a dust under the screen too. Not very noticeable, though.

I have a dust under the screen too. Not very noticeable, though.
I think this spec of dust is a bit larger then those that see dust on their monitors. It took me 2 seconds to see the spec of dust on a all white screen. I can still see it sitting at arms length from the monitor as well.
If I had to guess a size it's about 2-4 pixels long.

Yellow tints on left are a major issue on all large led panels, my 3 pb278qs had it too, need a compensator to get rid of it. Waiting on amazon to stock the 2713h (not hm) or the soon to be released 3013h which feature compensators. Was thinking of getting the nec 271w but that is almost three year old model with low contrast and aggressive ag, plus its a power hog due to ccfl backlight.

No yellow tint on all 3 pb278q that I got from frys except backlight bleed
is horrible on first one and dirty panel on second. The third is perfect....

No yellow tint on all 3 pb278q that I got from frys except backlight bleed
is horrible on first one and dirty panel on second. The third is perfect....

I am not going to run a 2 second exposure and compare these, but my PB278Q (from Dustin Home, Sweden) seems to be fine for backlight bleed. Just wish the black level was better :D

Another problem that is probably not specific to this monitor but any large monitor where you have to browse with zoom turned on, is that cleartype starts messing with pure white thin text.

I cannot have cleartype set to anything above 1.1 or this happens:

GY8t4.png

That's supposed to be pure white text.

I'm on my second U2713HM. First one had two bad pixels. I am nearing the end of the return window, so I need to decide quickly if I want to take a chance on a third unit.

Here's the problem with my unit. When the monitor is turned on and warming up, I hear a popping sound from the left edge of the unit. It's really annoying. In the first hour after turning it on, I hear it about once a minute. It takes about 2 or 3 hours for it to stop. When I turn it off in the evening, the popping starts up again. This issue is almost certainly due to expansion and contraction of the case.

Does anyone else have this popping sound?

Well I love this monitor. Now I need to try to find another one for around the $560 price Best Buy gave me. Any other deals still living out there?

No....no popping sounds. If everything else is fine, then maybe if its a fitting issue with the case, you can try tapping the bezel around the problem area to see if it could get the fit to a better position?

I just ordered this monitor from Dell. After some deals I was able to get it for $450. I can't wait.

Pray tell how you did that.

Please. :D

There was a deal on slickdeals.net a while back that showed how you could get $650 of Dell gift cards for $450 if you have an AMEX card. Here is the link. Basically, if you order $600 on Dell.com with an AMEX you can get a $150 statement credit and in the slickdeals.net wiki someone showed a code that you could use on the $500 gift card to get 10% off so you only pay $450 for the $500. So you get a $500 gift card for $450 and then add a $150 gift card for regular price so you get $650 for $600 and then add the $150 AMEX statement credit and you get $650 of gift cards for $450.

After that initial deal there were a few other deals that popped up on slickdeals.net that showed people getting them for around $470 or so (I think) after the statement credit.

I just spoke on the phone with a Dell rep and they currently have it listed for $699. I got them to drop it to $599 and applied my gift cards which covered the $599 plus the tax with just a few bucks left over. Took some work but I think it was all worth it.

Can anyone PM their Dell rep info? The rep info I got from another member is perpetually on vacation :\

unfort, the 150 amex credit has the maximum amount of people enrolled already thru twitter.

unfort, the 150 amex credit has the maximum amount of people enrolled already thru twitter.

Yeah. I saw that when I went to find the link for the deal. I got it on the first day and ordered the gift cards and the shipping took forever to get here.

So I got my monitor a little over a week ago and its amazing!!

only issue is that today this weird pattern showed up while I was playing WoW.
Maybe you guys might know what it is and could help me out.
As seen here.

Thanks!

So I got my monitor a little over a week ago and its amazing!!

only issue is that today this weird pattern showed up while I was playing WoW.
Maybe you guys might know what it is and could help me out.
As seen here.

Thanks!

Whatever that is, it isn't the monitor, since you are showing us a screen cap, it's a glitch in the game.

What do you all recommend for brightness, contrast, and color settings?
Check out the review at tft central. I followed their sRGB brightness/contrast settings and installed the display profile with great results.

For color standard looks great and is calibrated. For brightness and contrast, set it to what you like and find comfortable, first lowering the brightness, then contrast.
TFT Central didn't touch the contrast from it's defult of 75. I saw no reason to lower contrast since it looked great at that setting. Brightness however I lowered to 35 in the sRGB mode.

Prad.de reccomends the following:
The recommended luminance level of 140 cd/m² for workspaces corresponds to a brightness setting of 32 percent.

I've done the same as above, plus set my brightness to 35. Any thing above 35 just feels to bright for me.

Back