Dell U2711 - odd scaling problem

Joined
Apr 21, 2011
Messages
9
I recently got a Dell U2711 A03 but there appears to be an odd problem with viewing the 1920x1080 resolution. If I set the display to that resolution the left and right edges of the output touch the respective edges of the screen, but there are black horizontal bars along the top and bottom (around 1 inch each). The output is 1920x1080, making what's displayed on the monitor squished.

This happens with the wide mode set to "Fill". Setting it to the other two options, "Aspect" and "1:1" seem to behave equally incorrectly ("Aspect" should also fill the screen since the ratio is correct). This is with the scaling set to the display's built-in scaling in the NVIDIA contol panel.

Strangely, looking at the Display Settings>Display Info shows the current monitor resolution as 1920x1200. Setting the monitor to any other resolution (1680x1050 etc.) results in the correct output and the correct resolution being shown in the info.

This problem doesn't happen with another U2711 (A01) I tried. I had ordered the U2711 recently, but the piece I got (Rev. A01) had some problems. It had horrible backlight bleed out-of-the-box (which went away over the next couple of days), and some minor tinting. I asked Dell for a replacement and they were good enough of promptly send me a new piece.

The new piece is an A03, and is absolutely flawless. No tint change at all, zero backlight bleed. I've had it for a few days now and am thoroughly satisfied with it. However, today I tried setting the monitor to 1920x1080 to check something, and got the above problem. This problem did not happen with the previous piece, using the same DIV-D cable, same drivers (270.51) etc.

Does anyone else with this monitor have the same issue? Is there some way to fix this? Anyway to update the firmware? I have currently set the scaling to GPU controlled, but would like both options.
 
Anyone? Could someone with a non-A01 U2711 (preferably A03) please check if their 1920x1080 display is correct when the scaling is left to the monitor?
 
Are you saying you didn't have these problems with the same monitor you bought before? If so this might be a technical manufacturer flaw, happens all the time :(
 
I got an A03

When I set my desktop resolution to 1920 x 1080 with aspect, I get black bars on the left and right sides too. Must be a firmware issue with the A03's

yep, I get teh 1920 x 1200 display info thing too when I set my resolution to 1920 x 1080 on the desktop.
 
"Fill" behaves like one would expect it to, fills the screen no matter aspect or resolution. By looking at your photos it does look like you are getting black bars on the left and right as well when you use the "aspect" setting. :confused:

which driver version are you using with Nvidia? I am using 270.51.

I just tried the option to use "Nvidia settings with fixed ratio" and 1920 x 1080 scales perfectly for me. No black bars, horizontal or vertical. Granted this overrides the display's scaling so that pretty much throws 1:1 scaling out since Nvidia doesn't have that option(I think). When setting 1920 x 1200 there are black vertical bars on the left and right, which is expected. I think this is indeed a scaling issue with the monitor.
 
Last edited:
"Do not scale" is 1:1 in NV drivers. I am using 270.61. In my case "fill" leaves the top and bottom area black. Interestingly, the OSD open up where it should. And the problem is with all 16:9 aspect resolutions. Setting a 16:9 resolution causes the black unused strips at the top and bottom, while showing the equivalent 16:10 in the monitor info e.g. 1280x720 resolution is displayed with the strips and the monitor res is displayed as 1280x800 in the OSD.

It might not be very clear in the photos, but with "Aspect", the same area (top/bottom) is also left blank. I guess this is a problem specific to my unit, since you A03 is correctly displaying the fill option?
 
Just bought one aswell, A07 made in July 2011 and I've got the exact same problem.
Monitors detects 1920x1080 as 1920x1200 and gives black borders up and down.

I'm sending it back i guess?

*Edit*It detects 1080p if you manually choose 50hz instead of 60hz in Nvidia Control Panel.
Also, all resolutions under 1920x1080 are detected as it should by the monitor.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top