Dell U2415 with 16:10 1920 x 1200 AH-IPS panel

Dell. Call them and negotiate for a better price. I got 15% OFF.

Dell has them for $349 but they are a little lower on Amazon and Amazon will have free shipping. They were under $300 a few weeks ago. I really don't want to pay over $300 for them.

Dell has them for $349 but they are a little lower on Amazon and Amazon will have free shipping. They were under $300 a few weeks ago. I really don't want to pay over $300 for them.

Mine were free shipping from Dell. If you can get 15% OFF $349 you will be at $296. I got mine through dell business sales.

Last edited:
Thanks)) Yes, I read it too. I have the owner's feedback from another forum.
Here is approximate translation of his conclusions (but he works on MacBook pro 13'' late 2013, retina):
U2415 is bad display. If you choose among the displays of this category, you can take anything without looking.
Noticeable glare in the lower right corner, smudges, black is missing in principle, it is silver with uneven tints and shades, interspersed with lit, the colors are dull.
There is no such feeling of clean white background like on the MacBook
There are visible spots uneven backlight.
Did not meet expectations, the average office monitor, a handy stand, nice design, high price.
A little better, but overall the same class as the display at the below picture

eklwdv.jpg

Link to orginal posts (in Russian)

I think he just got a bad/damaged display. I order two for a dual monitor setup and neither has any of the problems he claims to be experiencing.

I think he just got a bad/damaged display. I order two for a dual monitor setup and neither has any of the problems he claims to be experiencing.
I often wonder how much of this monitor "damage" is simply mistreatment by shippers and/or retailers. We once went to a store to swap a $1200 panel because of a bleeding issue (in just one corner, which seems to often be the case with this damage), the salesgal took it from us and launched it eight or nine feet against a solid wall. We immediately changed our minds and told her we preferred a refund to a replacement.

Mine were free shipping from Dell. If you can get 15% OFF $349 you will be at $296. I got mine through dell business sales.

Gave it a shot. They wouldn't budge below $349 and tried to sell me the u2414.

Gave it a shot. They wouldn't budge below $349 and tried to sell me the u2414.

That is about what I payed for mine. Don't go for the u2414h. I had 3 of them. The menu buttons are horrible and need to be pressed multiple times to get them to function. (I hope they work better on the u2415) I also didn't like the fact that the u2414h is 1920x1080.

I am buying from dell.ca and they were $429.99(cdn) regular price and they gave me 15% off 3. I was happy that I got 15% off. I know that they will most likely go on sale for cheaper though.

Last edited:
That is about what I payed for mine. Don't go for the u2414h. I had 3 of them. The menu buttons are horrible and need to be pressed multiple times to get them to function. (I hope they work better on the u2415) I also didn't like the fact that the u2414h is 1920x1080.

I am buying from dell.ca and they were regular price $429.99(cdn) and they gave me 15% off 3. I was happy that I got 15% off. I know that they will most likely go on sale for cheaper though.

Guess I'll keep waiting. I don't want to pay a $100 premium over the 2414 for 16x10.

Guess I'll keep waiting. I don't want to pay a $100 premium over the 2414 for 16x10.

It is a bigger panel so it is going to cost more. From what I have read it is a much better panel as well. I'll find out soon if it was worth the premium.

Other than the resolution how does the Dell U2415 compare to the Dell U2414H? Colors, contrast ratio etc? I am looking to upgrade from my HP ZR24w but i would like a worthy upgrade.

I was going to order a U2414 today however all the brokenness with monitors not waking from sleep and reporting incorrect information over Display Port and HDMI which messes up Nvidia cards kept me away. Are those issues fixed on these 2415 models?

I was going to order a U2414 today however all the brokenness with monitors not waking from sleep and reporting incorrect information over Display Port and HDMI which messes up Nvidia cards kept me away. Are those issues fixed on these 2415 models?

Yes but that is an easy issue to fix

Yes but that is an easy issue to fix

What is the fix for monitor not waking up on Display Port / monitor reporting itself as a TV and only getting 16-235 color depth from Nvidia cards?

Workarounds are not what I want to be doing after purchasing three of these.

Last edited:
What is the fix for monitor not waking up on Display Port / monitor reporting itself as a TV and only getting 16-235 color depth from Nvidia cards?

Workarounds are not what I want to be doing after purchasing three of these.

The issue seems to be related to the gpu mistakenly thinking the monitor is a tv. As 1920x1200 is not a tv resolution I have a feeling this will not be a problem with the u2415. Mine will me here tomorrow but I am using an r280x. I do have gtx 780 I might be able to test on.

More annoying is that the U2415 has no DVI port! First I thought the Display port is "better" (only the port self ^^) but this is a mistake. When my TV and my U2415 are connected I see a picture on the Dell only when the Windows logon screen appear. The part before is shown on the TV... old issue.
I am not often in the BIOS so this is not a big problem but is is annoying. I wish the DVI back :)

Ugh... Yeah if I spend $800 on three of these I would just be pissed Dell couldn't get them functioning correctly out of the box.

I think it is a video card issue not a monitor issue. I did not have the issue with my r9 280x and the u2414h. The issue is most likely specific to TV resolutions such as 1920x1080. I doubt it will occur at 1920x1200.

I think it is a video card issue not a monitor issue. I did not have the issue with my r9 280x and the u2414h. The issue is most likely specific to TV resolutions such as 1920x1080. I doubt it will occur at 1920x1200.

The monitors report bad EDID information to the connected video card via Display Port. AMD has a way of easily overriding this, Nvidia doesn't.

The monitors report bad EDID information to the connected video card via Display Port. AMD has a way of easily overriding this, Nvidia doesn't.

Ahhh... I don't think anyone has confirmed that this is an issue on the u2415 though. Hopefully they have fixed it.

Just bought a Samsung S24D590 for $180. I'f I don't like it, I will give it a shot with a 2415 next.

The Samsung doesn't have VESA mounts :(

Got my 3 u2415's. First thing I did was check for dead or stuck pixels. I didn't find any with my quick check. This is a relief. The panels are really nice.

One thing I noticed is that the color is off on one of them in standard mode. The blue on the windows 8.1 lock screen looks a bit purplish on 2 of them and blue on the other. I checked and I am not running any color profiles on them in windows. I swapped them via display port and same thing. (Although I am not sure this test really improves anything as they were still numbered the same in windows). I switched all the monitors to color temp mode (6500K) and the colors all match. I'm thinking standard mode is calibrated slightly different on one of them. It could probably be fixed in a service menu. However I will be running in color temp mode all the time so it won't be an issue. I will probably request a replacement for it anyways in hopes of getting a matching one in standard mode. If memory serves I think I had the same issue in standard mode on the 2209wa's I used previously.

So far I am really impressed with the picture. I will reserve my final judgement after using them for a few days. In addition I am really happy to see that they have improved the touch menu buttons. They work much better than the 3 u2414h's I tried. I love the thin bezels for the triple monitor setup.

edit: I found the color was still slightly off on one of the monitors in color temp mode. I switched them all to custom mode. I left 100/100/100 for r/g/b on 2 of them and tweaked the one that was off to 98/100/100. This seems enough to have them match very well with the naked eye. I am sure I could use a calibration tool to get them even better but I won't bother. They match well enough for me.

Last edited:
The u2415 monitors are fantastic in comparison to what I have recently used. I have tried u2412m, u2414h, u2413, z24i and bl2411pt.

They are rock solid when connected to my r9 280x/7970 via single display port cables. I am having an issue when I enable displayport 1.2 and using a single cable from the graphics card and chaining the monitors together. After win 8.1 wakes up a random monitor will sometimes blink occasionally. I updated to the latest beta driver and it reduced the problem significantly. I read that disabling 1.2 on the last monitor in the chain should make it better. It actually made it worse for me and started blinking randomly on all monitors rather than the last in the chain. I have spent a lot of time researching the issue and haven't found a solution. I am thinking of trying an r9 290x to see if it is a video card hardware problem. Dell has had MST chaining in monitors for a while now and I am hoping that it should be working properly. If there is an MST issue in the monitor I could always look at a 3d party MST.

I am very happy with these monitors and I will be keeping them for sure.

@xnaron, how's the u2415 compared to the z24i? to you found the AG coating lighter or more aggressive than the z24i?

Thanks in advance!

@xnaron, how's the u2415 compared to the z24i? to you found the AG coating lighter or more aggressive than the z24i?

Thanks in advance!

I prefer the coating on the u2415 to the z24i. I don't have the z24i anymore so I can't compare them side by side. The picture on the u2415 pops nicely. It is the first monitor I found that is a worthy replacement for my old dell 2209wa.

I prefer the coating on the u2415 to the z24i. I don't have the z24i anymore so I can't compare them side by side. The picture on the u2415 pops nicely. It is the first monitor I found that is a worthy replacement for my old dell 2209wa.

That's good to know. Loved my 2209wa's but man, those things were like mini space heaters.

The u2415 monitors are fantastic in comparison to what I have recently used. I have tried u2412m, u2414h, u2413, z24i and bl2411pt.

Thank you for your feedback! Do you have any problems with uniformity on blacks? I mean clouding or backlight bleed?
Can you make a photo of your displays with black background in a dark room?

interesting 16:10 and similiar DPI to my 2209wa. Only downside to me looks like is the higher native res (which in turn means more higher gpu usage on games) and lack of dvi. I can understand maybe now the kack of vga (although still annoying) but is bad to also skip on dvi.

Well I got all 3 of them set up. I like them, but one of them seems 'duller' than the others out of the box. White isn't as white but looks more similar if I increase brightness.

Unfortunately, AMD wont allow me to scale to 16x9 now which means I cant play any games I want in 16x9 without stretching them and I just wasted $1000.

I should have just gone with the 16x9 u2414h :(

I meant using custom timings, of course ;)

AMD catalyst control center reports 75Hz as maximum reported refresh rate for the u2415. 75Hz will only work at 1280x1024 though in the desktop properties window in CCC. I haven't tried messing with custom timings.

Last edited:
Well I got all 3 of them set up. I like them, but one of them seems 'duller' than the others out of the box. White isn't as white but looks more similar if I increase brightness.

Unfortunately, AMD wont allow me to scale to 16x9 now which means I cant play any games I want in 16x9 without stretching them and I just wasted $1000.

I should have just gone with the 16x9 u2414h :(

Which games? Inside catalyst control center you can enable GPU Up-scaling and select maintain aspect ratio. That might work for you? I have tried battlefield 4 and the game just scales everything to the monitor res. I think most games will do that. The 16:9 thing is more likely to be a problem if you hook up things like an xbox or ps4 to the monitor.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/UnableToSetGPUScaling.aspx

As for the dull issue... try setting the mode to "custom color" on all the monitors. I found that the colors only matched on 2 of 3 in standard mode.

Last edited:
Which games? Inside catalyst control center you can enable GPU Up-scaling and select maintain aspect ratio. That might work for you? I have tried battlefield 4 and the game just scales everything to the monitor res. I think most games will do that. The 16:9 thing is more likely to be a problem if you hook up things like an xbox or ps4 to the monitor.

As for the dull issue... try setting the mode to "custom color" on all the monitors. I found that the colors only matched on 2 of 3 in standard mode.

Doensnt work. Making me really regret going 16x10. I might return them and get the u2414s if Dell will take them back.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1840721

It seems like such a simple thing but it doesn't work. I play SC2 mostly but it will be an issue in any game that I want to run in 16x9 without distortion.

Doensnt work. Making me really regret going 16x10. I might return them and get the u2414s if Dell will take them back.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1840721

It seems like such a simple thing but it doesn't work. I play SC2 mostly but it will be an issue in any game that I want to run in 16x9 without distortion.

Dell has a really good return policy. I don't think you'll have an issue returning them.

Dell has a really good return policy. I don't think you'll have an issue returning them.

Good news, but definitely a shame.

Hopefully the u2414s are just as nice if I can't work out the scaling issue.

Back