Dell U2414h

I've had three P2214H's (22" version of the P2414H) and three U2414H's. Is that good for comparison?

The panels are almost identical. Same color accuracy, AG coating, etc. The U-series has a thin bezel, factory calibrated color mode, and more outputs/USB etc.

2 of my U2414H's had bad factory calibration, both were bright green. I use my own calibrated colors so it depends how badly you want that feature. In my experience it was worthless since it was always way off.

All of my U2414H's had backlight bleeding, usually 2 or 3 spots, one spot was always really bad and in some cases, caused large parts of the screen to appear brighter than the rest and it was very annoying. I blame the thin bezel for the backlight bleeding problems because out of 5 P-series monitors, only 1 of them had a very small bleeding spot which was way less than anything I saw on the U2414H's. I had one with dust under the panel and another with bruising.

Coating, clarity, and colors are all the same.

Personally I can't recommend the U2414H at all, unless you don't care about backlight bleeding. P-series actually have better build quality.
In any case, the U2414H is really not worth the extra money.

Unless you absolutely need the thin bezels, you should stick with the P2414H.

I have owned both the P2414H and the U2414H (A03). Both of them came with a slight blue tint and required some color calibration. The P2414H did not have any backlight bleed, but the U2414H had a slight amount at the bottom left of the screen. Both used similar LG panels, and I could not tell if one was any better than the other.

Unless you absolutely need the thin bezels, you should stick with the P2414H.

I have owned both the P2414H and the U2414H (A03). Both of them came with a slight blue tint and required some color calibration. The P2414H did not have any backlight bleed, but the U2414H had a slight amount at the bottom left of the screen. Both used similar LG panels, and I could not tell if one was any better than the other.

Did you use the sRGB mode on the U2414h or standard settings?

Did you use the sRGB mode on the U2414h or standard settings?

They looked similar to me, so I ended up using TFT Central's calibrated settings. They will do for now until I can get my hands on a Spyder5 Express.

Not sure if there exists a thread for the U2415 but I'm hoping I can get some help here.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a a new monitor soon and after going through this thread, I am deciding between the Dell U2415 and U2515. Those with the monitors, can you provide some insights/suggestions on which one would be better for Photoshop/Digital Art use?

It seems like the main difference is the higher pixel density on the U2515 versus the extra vertical pixels (16:10) on the U2415? I'm not sure which one would be best for my needs, mainly Photoshop/digital art?

Not sure if there exists a thread for the U2415 but I'm hoping I can get some help here.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a a new monitor soon and after going through this thread, I am deciding between the Dell U2415 and U2515. Those with the monitors, can you provide some insights/suggestions on which one would be better for Photoshop/Digital Art use?

It seems like the main difference is the higher pixel density on the U2515 versus the extra vertical pixels (16:10) on the U2415? I'm not sure which one would be best for my needs, mainly Photoshop/digital art?

For fullscreen photoviewing, 16:10 matches better with the 3:2 photos than 16:9

Between the U2415 and U2515h; the 25" has 13mm less viewable area and a much higher pixelpitch. If you have any use for smaller pixels depends on your eyes, viewing distance and if you like to get into the mess called 'scaling'.
There are some thing you can do more easily do with 2560 pixels wide compared to only 1920. Like side-by-side webpages; 960 is usually too little, 1280 tends to be fine.

I tend to go for maximum vertical space and pixels, so I ended up with 30" 2560x1600 (well, in between two rotated 20" 1600x1200 screens).

If my stuff burned down and insurance money arrived I wouldn't have a clue on what to buy back. 30" is just too insanely priced to recommend though. Other than that I think 16:9 is a totally useless aspect ratio for computer use.

I just got the U2414h, and boy it is a total joke compared to the NEC 2490.....even in sRGB mode, i dont know what did they calibrate, but on Lagom,nl the performance are far behind the 2490, and even without testing it you can tell its a whole class behind. The only thing better is the contrast, but everything else is far behind.

Probably a strange question but bare with me. I received my Dell U2414H monitor today and it works great so far. Unfortunately there is a small problem for me as a disabled person. I used to use a stick to push the buttons for my old monitor to turn the monitor on and off and to switch the input. Unfortunately with this touch sensitive monitor the stick approach doesn't work anymore. When I bought this monitor I knew it had touch sensitive buttons but figured a stylus for a phone or tablet would work. Unfortunately it does not. Does anybody have any ideas on how to make this work, without depending on someone to physically do it for me. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what material might work. Thank you for your time.

ugh. I ordered a U2414H during black friday, but now with all these comments I'm starting to get worried. Mine is suppose to arrive today

ugh. I ordered a U2414H during black friday, but now with all these comments I'm starting to get worried. Mine is suppose to arrive today
I was surprised by the lack of QC especially since these are UltraSharp monitors.
IMO they are making sacrifices to use those thin bezels and it shows. I wish they made a thick bezel version of this monitor (no the P2414H doesn't count).

I also hate how they lowered the luminance on their new IPS monitors, the difference between 250 and 300 cd/m is really night and day. Whites are so much crisper on the higher luminance monitors, plus the backlight will age better.

If you get lucky with a U2414H; no crazy backlight bleeding, no color issues with the sRGB profile, no panel deformities (dust/clouding/tinting) then it could be a really solid monitor.

Last edited:
question is *if* though... which I won't know until i open the box. I don't like the idea of wrestling with a panel lottery. I ordered from newegg and I don't think they have the best return policy. I'm seriously considering just refusing the delivery based on user experience I've read here, but I wonder if I'll get hit with a restocking fee.
edit: seems like no restocking fee if it is unopened

Last edited:
question is *if* though... which I won't know until i open the box. I don't like the idea of wrestling with a panel lottery. I ordered from newegg and I don't think they have the best return policy. I'm seriously considering just refusing the delivery based on user experience I've read here, but I wonder if I'll get hit with a restocking fee.
edit: seems like no restocking fee if it is unopened
If you're Premier they will give you a refund no questions asked. Otherwise, mark it as 'Defective' and they won't charge you a re-stocking fee. Just make sure you describe the problem as best as possible. I've never had them check anything before.

I bought and returned a dozen monitors to Amazon/Newegg over the last 2 months, didn't cost me a cent.

well fears confirmed. theres a pretty significant 'bloom' in the lower right corner, where the menu buttons are located. Also a lesser but still quite noticeable bloom in the upper left corner. a mild bloom in lower left corner and very minor in upper right corner. i do have premiere so I guess I'll be contacting them.

well fears confirmed. theres a pretty significant 'bloom' in the lower right corner, where the menu buttons are located. Also a lesser but still quite noticeable bloom in the upper left corner. a mild bloom in lower left corner and very minor in upper right corner. i do have premiere so I guess I'll be contacting them.
It's probably IPS glow, put up a full black picture and stand about 10 feet away and check it.
Is this your first IPS monitor?

Would anyone know how to access the service menu? I managed to access it once but forgot to save the button combination.

Would anyone know how to access the service menu? I managed to access it once but forgot to save the button combination.

I believe you need to either hold the first two buttons from the left when turning on, or the first and third one.

I believe you need to either hold the first two buttons from the left when turning on, or the first and third one.

Neither of those seems to work for me. I also tried holding buttons 2 & 4 and 3 & 4.

Hello.

I've hade the U2414H for a couple of months now. I just can't understand if I should use the "Standard" colour mode or the factory calibrated "sRGB" mode?
The standard mode seems ok, but when going to sRGB everything looks a tad purple - which is very easy to see on grayscale picture.
Right now, Im not sure what to use. I do not have access to a calibrator, so I have to rely on the screen for now.

I have a different question about u2414h. its first time that i am using an ips panel. But i can easily notice the pixel refresh!. I don't know how can i explain this clearly. When i focus an area on panel, can see that moving (refreshing) pixels. Especially on dark grey, dark brown backgrounds. I tested my panel with pixel walk (inversion) test. (Inversion (pixel-walk) - Lagom LCD test ) There is no walk. When i apply this test on my other TN panel, pixels are jumping especially 4b section. But u2414h looking fine. I don't want to replace it ,because no dead pixel, very low backlight bleeding and glow.

So where is my problem? Its a characteristic of an AH-IPS panel? Or its a disadvantage of 3H hard coat screen?

Does it look like a film grain effect?

Little Yes. Its look like very low level grain/noise. But its more noticable on dark backgrounds than clear ones. You know grainy/noisy videos. I have an example about this : dropbox link
Please look at background, but this example has very high noise. My panel has much less than this video ( i only notice this in dark areas and need little closely inspection)

its a fault or coating disadvantage or AH-IPS panel characteristic?

My U2415 did the same thing, I don't recall if my 2414s did it but it's possible.

My glossy Dells, U2412M, and 34UM88 (AH IPS) don't. I also tested a few other generic 1080p IPS screens as well as a 2560x1080 and none of them did it.

The only monitors I've seen with this effect are the thin bezel Dells, so I suspect it has something to do with the panels they are using for those.

My U2415 did the same thing, I don't recall if my 2414s did it but it's possible.

My glossy Dells, U2412M, and 34UM88 (AH IPS) don't. I also tested a few other generic 1080p IPS screens as well as a 2560x1080 and none of them did it.

The only monitors I've seen with this effect are the thin bezel Dells, so I suspect it has something to do with the panels they are using for those.

Thank you for answer. this is disguinting me anyway :(

Back