Dell U2414h

Anyone know if the U2414H can be linked via the display ports and connected to a MacBook Air or Pro Thunderbolt port for dual monitor setup?

I spoke with Dell again (twice actually) to confirm that the U2414H is PWM-free. The first guy said that PWM is used on the U2414H, but it seemed like he decided to err on the side of caution because he didn't know. The second Dell rep was quick to confirm that it is PWM-free.

I'm assuming that the second rep was correct since that's what Push found, and it's already confirmed that the P2414H doesn't use PWM. It must be a very high frequency if it does.

Has anyone tried to overclock? How are fast moving objects, any ghosting?

Anyone know if the U2414H can be linked via the display ports and connected to a MacBook Air or Pro Thunderbolt port for dual monitor setup?
It supports displayport 1.2 daisy chaining. I am currently daisy chaining the monitors and it works fine.

I spoke with Dell again (twice actually) to confirm that the U2414H is PWM-free. The first guy said that PWM is used on the U2414H, but it seemed like he decided to err on the side of caution because he didn't know. The second Dell rep was quick to confirm that it is PWM-free.

I'm assuming that the second rep was correct since that's what Push found, and it's already confirmed that the P2414H doesn't use PWM. It must be a very high frequency if it does.
I did the hand wave and camera test at 100% (No PWM regardless, control), 70%, 50%, 30%, 20% (seems to be the usual cutoff if partial PWM) and 0% and didn't see any signs of PWM. I'm going to do the line test if I get a chance tonight as I do not have an oscilloscope. :)

Also, I would say do NOT get the MDS14 dual display stand. It is MUCH bigger footprint wise compared to the individual stands, plus can't be adjusted as high as the new u2414h\p2414h stand. Dell really needs to revisit the stand. It could have a lot of promise.

Last edited:
push, I'm sorry to bother you again. It's just that I've just found out recently that TFT Central won't be able to finish their review of the U2414H before christmas. And you're like the only real owner that I know about. I'm not taking all those chinese guys out there into account, because I don't speak any chinese at all.
More to the point. Please, do update us with some more info and impressions about the U2414H, when you'll have some spare time.

push, I'm sorry to bother you again. It's just that I've just found out recently that TFT Central won't be able to finish their review of the U2414H before christmas. And you're like the only real owner that I know about. I'm not taking all those chinese guys out there into account, because I don't speak any chinese at all.
More to the point. Please, do update us with some more info and impressions about the U2414H, when you'll have some spare time.
No bother, just new to this so I'm slow. haha. So I am returning the one monitor because of the one horizontal band on pitch black screens. It's VERY hard to notice, but I figure I pay the money, I want a near-perfect screen. I should get the new one in a few days. I'll have some more details as I have time to review this weekend now that work has slowed down!

Bf4 is amazing on these screens.

Can you take another pic of the monitor on a dark room to check the backlight bleeding levels please? :) I know you already posted one but the quality isn't the best hehehe (or tell us to the naked eye how bad/good it looks)

Thanks in advance...

I just saw this monitor and this post.

With its very thin bezel and DP chaining capability, this monitor seems to be the utlimate choice for a multi display setup. Nice also that you can have it without stand. This is very seldom and like that you don't buy the stands for nothing. :)

So I am ready to get 3 of them for a nice eyefinity setup. However what about gaming ? How does it behave with fast moving image ? As far as I've seem it has a 8ms response time which is a bit high. So what can you say about it for this usage ?

I got mine a couple of days ago. It has a bit of backlight bleed across the bottom middle, but it doesn't bother me too much, so I plan on keeping it. That's my only complaint so far.

In response to Arti7:
Everyone expects the U2414H to show the same test results as the P2414H, except that the U2414H is factory calibrated, has USB 3.0, and has the super thin bezel. Although the P2414H also has an 8ms response time, it showed a low input lag in tests (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_p2414h.htm#gaming), which makes it a good IPS monitor for gaming. Sure, there are some others out there with a better response time and even lower input lag, but this one has that nice thin bezel! I suppose we won't know for sure until some professional reviews of the U2414H are posted.

Deredox, it's already listed on the Dell UK & Amazon UK websites (a good bit cheaper at Amazon though).

push
You calibrated your U2414Hs to 120cm/m^2, right? Could I possibly trouble you to tell me, what OSD settings did you use (brightness, contrast, preset mode) to get a white luminance of a 120cd/m^2?

Last edited:
Has anyone had issues with this model turning off/on automatically? I've had it turn off a couple of times while I was using it, and it always turns on after I've turned it off. It's on every morning when I wake up and every evening when I get home from work, and I'm sure that I've turned it off beforehand.

Try to disable Input Source -> Auto Select function, if you have it enabled. And set a specific input source that you are using.
My P2414H was acting quite strangely when Auto Select was enabled.

Is there anything known about this same bezel and overall style with a 27 inch 1440p monitor? A u2714h maybe?

Thanks!

what's PWM?

Pulse-Width Modulation

What it means for monitors is that the lower your brightness, the slower the backlight flicker rate. When backlight flicker rate dips low enough, people start to get headaches and/or nausea. How low is too low varies for everyone, but going below about 200 or 300 times per second seems to bother a lot of people, and a lot of monitors do go below that when brightness is set to 0%.

Most LCD monitors (including LED monitors) use PWM for dimming, so if you're not sure if your monitor uses PWM, it probably does. Monitors with no PWM have no backlight flickering at all at any brightness setting; if you are having a problem with eyestrain from using LCD monitors, you should give monitors that are known or advertised to have no PWM a try.

evilsofa
Wikipedia said:
Pulse-width modulation (PWM), or pulse-duration modulation (PDM), is a modulation technique that conforms the width of the pulse, formally the pulse duration, based on modulator signal information.
Hence, frequency does not change, whether you increase or decrease brightness on a monitor with PWM dimming. Only a duty cycle changes.
Wikipedia said:
The term duty cycle describes the proportion of 'on' time to the regular interval or 'period' of time; a low duty cycle corresponds to low power, because the power is off for most of the time. Duty cycle is expressed in percent, 100% being fully on.
pwm.gif

Last edited:
Heya guys, I received my U2414H yesterday! I am sensitive to pwm flicker, as i've tried out various led monitors and couldn't stare at them for more than 10 minutes. I can confirm that the monitor is PWM free and I can finally put my 5 year old Samsung 226bw to rest! Running with HDMI into a AMD 7870 with catalyst 13.11.

Positives:
-No dead pixels

--Very deep blacks for an IPS! But I feel like there is some black crush going on.

-Very little overshoot , and great for most games! except the demanding FPS shooters that require the utmost target acquisition speed. I've played Battlefield 4 and found it very satisfactory compared to my Samsung 226bw (this monitor isn't a pushover in terms of TN gaming) Is it as fast as a fast TN? Not quite, but it's very convincing! the absence of overshoot/inverse ghosting helps a lot! I used to have an Achieva Shimian q270 lite, back when they were using rather fast E-IPS panels. And I found that to have overshoot and more ghosting than the u2414h.

- Colors are beautiful as expected from an IPS! Especially in sRGB (which came with a paper that had most DeltaE colors having a DeltaE of less than 2.0 even though they stated that their goal was a average of less than 4.0)

- Input Lag: I can't measure it, but I haven't had any trouble playing Battlefield 4 with it. Actions on the screen seems to match with my clicks.

- Unobtrusive screen coating. Whites are very much white to me instead of tinted yellow HOWEVER..

Negatives:
- The default mode it started with was YPbPr, and I wasn't sure if this was the correct setting for the monitor in sRGB mode. When I switched between YPbPr and RGB (full rgb in amd catalyst), I found the two to have some differences in color! YPbPr seems to have had a slight green tint to it, and the colors felt a little .... cold? When I switched to RGB (Full RGB) colors would pop out and feel correct. But honestly, I don't know which one is supposed to be the right one to match with the factory calibrations! I personally enjoy the RGB mode, but...

- Increasing the sharpness past 50 in full rgb mode eventually (as in.. had it on overnight) left my screen with a weird corrupted looking interference effect on fonts and browsers. Sort of purple-ish with zig zagging along straight lines. I'm not sure if it's the cable, or if it's the monitor, or if it's the drivers. But considering how the sharpness setting is affecting it, I'm leaning towards the monitor or cable. I noticed that the non sRGB modes aren't affected (yet) by the zig zagging with the sharpness turned up. YPbPr with sRGB works fine too! But as I mentioned earlier, I found the colors to be "cold" on that setting.

-Slight IPS glow (as expected), and a little bit of backlight bleeding on the bottom left and right. I don't mind it TOO much, But I can't help but notice it if I focus on it.

-It has a good amount of cables EXCEPT an HDMI to HDMI! But an HDMI cable is relatively cheap, It's just something to know before you purchase it.

Edit- Other Comments:
- I had a problem at first with scaling overscan in games, where the game itself wouldn't accept the 0% (covering the whole screen) setting in the catalyst control center. Despite the desktop have covered 100% of the screen , some games wouldn't work with that. But I found out that you can fix that by setting your screen resolution Hz to 59 instead of 60. This will resolve the issue of scaling problems in games with hdmi. You can do this by right-clicking the desktop --> Screen Resolution ---> Advanced Settings --->Monitor ---> Screen Refresh Rate.

Last edited:
- Increasing the sharpness past 50 in full rgb mode eventually (as in.. had it on overnight) left my screen with a weird corrupted looking interference effect on fonts and browsers. Sort of purple-ish with zig zagging along straight lines. I'm not sure if it's the cable, or if it's the monitor, or if it's the drivers. But considering how the sharpness setting is affecting it, I'm leaning towards the monitor or cable.

Is there a reason to adjust the sharpness that high? What is the optimum setting found with the lagom.nl sharpness test, and is the default setting reasonably close to that?

Can someone with a U2414 and DisplayPort check to see if it supports 80Hz refresh rates as the P2414H does?

You can use ToastyX's CRU to add the custom mode (download here: http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU)

Here are the settings that worked for my P2414H over DisplayPort (I don't think single link DVI has enough bandwidth for this). Just add a new mode with the settings on the right and restart -- you should be able to select an 80Hz refresh rate in Windows after that.

1eujQNq.jpg

-Slight IPS glow (as expected), and a little bit of backlight bleeding on the bottom left and right. I don't mind it TOO much, But I can't help but notice it if I focus on it.

Backlight bleeding seems to be very common with the P2414H as well (particularly in the bottom left). Mine has some in the bottom left.

It's a bit annoying, but if I look closely at mine I can tell it's actually only a very small amount of bleeding. The reason it's noticeable however is that it affects the color of the off-angle IPS glow and makes it more white than orange in that corner, as it is on the other side where I don't have bleeding. You might be seeing the same thing.

Is there a reason to adjust the sharpness that high? What is the optimum setting found with the lagom.nl sharpness test, and is the default setting reasonably close to that?

According to the test you linked, the default setting of 50 is actually the most accurate! Increasing or decreasing the sharpness by one click doesn't pass the test. And of course, it gets progressively worse if I increase or decrease the sharpness away from the default setting. Parts of the boxes would become too prominent when i'm squinting/ sitting at a distance.

I mainly wanted a higher sharpness setting since I felt that it improved the visuals in some games that tend to have rather soft visuals and text (and fxaa is off too). Outside of those games, it's quite fine with browsers and text.

The reason it's noticeable however is that it affects the color of the off-angle IPS glow and makes it more white than orange in that corner, as it is on the other side where I don't have bleeding. You might be seeing the same thing.

For me, If i look around it and try to see the bleeding apart from the ips glow, It does seem that the bleeding isn't too severe. But when the ips glow is around, it becomes a little more prominent to the eyes. IPS glow on the parts of the screen where there isn't bleeding, is acceptable. But when I combine both the ips glow and the small backlight bleed, it just adds up.

Have you guys noticed any signs of backlight leakage across the panel borders? See photo.
problem.jpg

Is this a common defect?

Last edited:
Has anyone had issues with this model turning off/on automatically? I've had it turn off a couple of times while I was using it, and it always turns on after I've turned it off. It's on every morning when I wake up and every evening when I get home from work, and I'm sure that I've turned it off beforehand.

Just got one and it randomly turns off. Tried HDMI and DP cables, as well as different outlets. Nothing in the energy settings menu seems to be helpful. Any idea what's going on?

Just got one and it randomly turns off. Tried HDMI and DP cables, as well as different outlets. Nothing in the energy settings menu seems to be helpful. Any idea what's going on?
If you have your Input Source set to Auto Select, try to use a manual Input Source selection.
With Auto Select my P2414Hb (A00, Jul 2013) was randomly turning off and on again. Selecting a specific Input Source solved the problem for me.

If you have your Input Source set to Auto Select, try to use a manual Input Source selection.
With Auto Select my P2414Hb (A00, Jul 2013) was randomly turning off and on again. Selecting a specific Input Source solved the problem for me.

It's manually set to the right input. The menu doesn't even have an auto select option.

I just bought a new display, the U2414H. I've read that the new U2412M displays had yellow tint issue and so i bought this brand spanking new U2414h. However, unfortunately they seem to suffer from the same problem. How do I make it display a solid white? As the screen has 97% RGB it should be a problem at all!

Left: U2414H (2013 Rev A00)

Right: U2412M (2011 Rev A02)

8tc9.jpg

RobT89
Try switching to the sRGB preset mode in the OSD.
Also, if you are using an HDMI connection on Nvidia GPU you'll have to use this utility to get a full RGB range via HDMI. Or just use DisplayPort if you have one on your card.

Last edited:
RobT89
Try switching to the sRGB preset mode in the OSD.

Its currently set at RGB (if thats the same as sRGB)

I could switch between YPbPr and RGB, whereas the colors on YPbPr are really out of whack seemingly.

[Edit] There is no preset mode that eliminates the yellowish white.

My U2414H doesnt seem to have ant ICC profile...

My U2412M however, seems to do perfect on DELL U2412M Color Profile, D6500 (default), U2412M.icm

Back