• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dell u2413 tinting

katterin

n00b
Joined
Jun 22, 2013
Messages
16
Hi all,

Wonder if any one can help me please, really struggling with this!

It took a long time for me to decide on the Dell 2413. I am looking for a budget £300-400 IPS monitor for photo editing, as I am starting to assist with weddings etc and have just started my own website.

I decided on the dell and got it for a reasonable price at amazon. There does not seem to be any dead pixels or ghosting which is good, for the occasional world of warcraft venture and you tube videos.

However, after calibrating the monitor with the xrite1 there now seems to be a reddish tint to the top left hand side and a yellow tint to the top right hand of the screen. In the middle its very difficult to distinguish between these tints. However, the right hand side with the yellow tint looks lighter so it is more visual. I can see it mostly on a white or light grey screen, but its almost like an optical illusion and gives you a headache trying to determine where it starts and stops.

I posted some photos using the Mac yellow tinting check on another forum to try to get help:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3505547?post=51677202&image=0
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3505547?post=51677202&image=3
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3505547?post=51677202&image=2


I'm guessing this is because the uniformity compensation does not work in these modes so the tinting is most apparent? Or a definite rogue copy?

I am aware after searching that the IPS panels are subject to red and green tinting, although the reports that I have read indicate that it is mainly at the bottom of the screen, and mine is at the top.

I really like the screen - but not the tinting. I am unsure whether sending it back and getting a replacement is going to do much... they all seem to have problems due to poor QA. But I cant find another monitor at the price to buy!

Really really stuck! Any help would be gratefully received.
 
Would the NEC Multisync P232 IPS or the NEC Spectraview 232 be better in terms of quality? I realise these are 23" rather than 24" and as such the aspect ratio is 16:9 rather than 16:10. However I am coming from a 17" laptop screen so its still bigger than what I am used too.

I need a monitor that will be suitable for at least 4-5years for colour work, and may be able to stretch the budget to £650 ish.
 
You'd need an owner of that model to respond as to a fix, or if it's a common problem, but if doing professional work, I'd suggest either a pro NEC or an Eizo. And yeah, I'd consider both better than Dell as far as quality goes. If you are willing to go to £650 ish, you can maybe get to some 27"ers too, if you wanted. I see the Eizo EV2736W goes for £635 on amazon UK -- unsure if it allows hardware calibration though.

Just be aware that some IPS models still have the heavy AG coating, so read reviews first (prad/tft central).

NCX is currently doing a review here of the new NEC P242W 16:10 model, so you may want to keep an eye on it, although it is s-rgb only. Do you need wide gamut or s-rgb?
 
Last edited:
I am sending back the Dell tomorrow.

I am currently looking at the NEC P232w and the Spectraview 232. The P232w is cheaper and would be fine but am unsure whether hardware calibration is now a must - unless I can get hold of the spectraview 2 software which cannot be purchased in the UK from NEC, I am not able to access the 14 LUT hardware calibration, but can obviously do it from graphics card level with the xrite pro1.

The spectraview is more than I wanted to pay, but comes with guaranteed screen quality and the UK version of the software to calibrate. I think the monitors are more or less the same you are just paying £200 for the software (and more QA).

I am currently using a 17" laptop, so the aspect ratio of 16:9 is not a dealbreaker. The NEC's are 8 bit however, rather than 10 bit like the Dell. I would be willing to sacrifice this I guess for a screen I could actually use though :D The NECs do not have full sRGB coverage at this size.

I am currently looking at assisting with weddings, and may try to send some work to stock companies, or greeting card companies etc. If I can actually start to create a business then I can put the profits back into upgrading equipment like another screen such as a wide gamut one. At the moment my photographs are largely web based i.e. on my website and I know that a fair few photographic labs require sRGB for printing.

Are there any other options I may have missed?

Many thanks for the help.
 
If you are fine with s-rgb, I'd suggest waiting for reviews on the NEC P242W. It's not that much more expensive than the 23"er, and would be less than the 23" Spectraview version. And besides being 24", it's also 16:10.

And yeah, Spectraview versions are the same monitors -- they just come with the Spectraview software. I think there is another software package that can work with the NECs... maybe basiccolor? I forget the name of it, but there is a free trial version.

As for other options, there are several Eizos that may be suitable, depending on size and how much you want to spend. In NEC-land, they unfortunately used heavy IPS coating on all of their pro monitors until recently, besides the older 90 series, but it's not so easy to find those new anymore. You could also look at monitors like the Viewsonic VP2770, but I am not sure if they allow any form of hardware calibration, or have at least a 10 bit LUT.
 
Back
Top