• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dell U2413 or U2713HM

guzfernand

n00b
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
2
Hello to all.

First, let me ask for forgiveness for my not so fluent English, as I’m not a native speaker (I’m Brazilian). I decided to look for answers here instead of going to Brazilian forums cause I’m already a Hard Forum regular reader and I’m convinced that this is the best place to get quality feedback for my questions.

Then, to my problem: in the past weeks I decided that next month I’m going to get at Dell Brazil an IPS Monitor. With that said, I have to say that I mostly use my computer for gaming and for researching sociological data. As the former doesn’t require image quality at all, I’m basically looking the best for gaming.

After I decided to go for IPS higher resolution over 120hz 3D, I searched the web and found out that Dell is the only brand that actually sells IPS monitor in Brazil (besides LG) – any other brand I would have to import, which I don’t want to do. After reading some reviews, I’m narrowed down my choices to the U2413 and U2713HM models. Which of the both is better for gaming?

I’m only comparing a 24” monitor with a 27” one because from the beginning I had already decided to buy the U2413 (the 27 model available - U2713H - was too expensive for me) when I noticed that the U2713HM became available for sale at Dell Brazil for a more expensive but still affordable price. The higher resolution of the 27 inches attracted me.

However, I know that the HM type is basically designed for a wider market being a cheaper version of the high quality IPS monitors that Dell sells, therefore it lacks many features that a monitor like the U2413 has (for example, colour gamut support with its 10-bit colour - which, from what I read, it’s just useful for professional image editing). I also know from TFT Central reviews that the U2713HM it’s more responsive if compared to its H counterpart (an U2413 equivalent), which would be better for gaming. However, there are reports that the older models of the HM suffers from bad backlight bleed, crosshatching and image retention (I have to say I do not quite understand what these terms means as I’m very much a noob in this subject).

The bottom-line question is: for gaming, will I benefit from the features that the U2413 has? If not, I’m will go U2713HM – its higher resolution and bigger size are very appealing to me. The U2413 is priced at 810 dollars and the U2713HM at 925 dollars (yes, here we like to abuse in regards to taxation).

Thanks in advance.
 
I'm researching monitors too. so don't own any. But from specs, obviously u2713hm is better than both since I see no reason for wide gamut if most content is standard gamut.
 
I can't speak of the 2713, as I haven't looked at 27"ers that much, but the 2413 isn't meant as a gaming monitor. In fact, I can't see it being suitable for your purposes much at all. It's wide gamut, which not only be useless to you, but be a hindrance. You'll need to go into s-rgb mode, which will also lower contrast.

Check out some of the gaming threads here, as I am sure there are better monitors they will recommend. I think one of the Viewsonics is considered better than the Dell 2713, as far as 27"ers go.
 
I can't speak of the 2713, as I haven't looked at 27"ers that much, but the 2413 isn't meant as a gaming monitor. In fact, I can't see it being suitable for your purposes much at all. It's wide gamut, which not only be useless to you, but be a hindrance. You'll need to go into s-rgb mode, which will also lower contrast.

Check out some of the gaming threads here, as I am sure there are better monitors they will recommend. I think one of the Viewsonics is considered better than the Dell 2713, as far as 27"ers go.

Namelessme, actually I already had read some discussions here on the forum which indicates that Viewsonic would be a better choice for my purposes. However, unfortunately here in Brazil Viewsonic monitors aren't available, and importation is not an option. I won't buy such an expensive monitor and have no warranty at all. So basically I'm stuck with Dell.

But thanks for your response. I will consider more to buy the 27 HM model but before that I'd like an opinion for these problems that people are reporting with older models of this monitor. I only considered the U2413 because of its features, but I know that these features are probably useless for gaming as you said. I only wanted a final and decisive feedback on this matter before I buy my new monitor - that's why I came here.
 
Back
Top