• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DELL U2412M Problem

J0nY

n00b
Joined
Jun 13, 2013
Messages
1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. So straight to the point - I have recently bought the Dell u2412m monitor for 2 main perpouses : 1. My work requires the higher resolution which this monitor can deliver and 2. I love watching movies in my free time.
However here lies the problem, when I watch movies on it (usually FULL HD or HD) i notice that there is a slight lag. It's like it doesn't show enough FPS or something, it's hard for me to describe. I can't seem to find the solution. What i did was compare it to my previous monitor (Philips 220C) and I have noticed that movies shown on that monitor are smoother BUT how is that possible since both monitors run at 60 HZ? Could it be that the U2412M has 8ms response time whilst the 220C has 2ms? Or could it be that there are some settings I need to fix in order to watch movies on the Dell (because it supports 1080p unlike the Philips) ? If anyone has any clue to what seems to be the problem, I would appreciate your help very much!
 
I've got three of these and don't have this issue. I can't imagine why this would be caused by the monitor. Response time would not have any impact on video playback at all.

Response time actually means very little. the main concern for gamers is input lag. With older monitors the response time mattered but now that pretty much al displays are sub 10ms it is actually meaningless, input lag must be measured in a different way.

I had a good look in to this before I purchased and the input lag on the Dell is way less than my old 2ms viewsonic monitors, it is also better than most 2ms displays on the market. I was looking at a 27" Asus with 2ms and the reviews I read mentioned really bad input lag so I went for the smaller Dells instead.
 
It sounds like the issue is with your hardware, not your monitor. I briefly owned a 2412 and it was fine for streaming movies on. I could even stream two different videos on two different monitors (one being a 2412) at the same time ... never noticed anything odd about the video on the 2412.

I assume you aren't using a super wimpy graphics card or PC from like 6+ years ago?

Or maybe you got a lemon and it's dropping frames or something... not sure. You could try a different input source and see if it makes a difference -- hook it up to a bluray, or roku, or laptop, and see if is streams better. At least that way you'd know if it's the monitor or your PC. You could also try a different cable/connector ... I forget if it has display port or not, or multiple DVI inputs.
 
Back
Top