Dell U2410

The 'white glow' is hardly limited to IPS. PVA suffers the very same issue off angle. Presumably TN does but the viewing angles are so bad everything shifts so radically one doesn't notice white over the yellow and other colours everything shifts to and from..

I've personally seen very few PVA sets that have any white glow period. Its a very pronounced effect and every IPS panel I've seen has it in certain severity depending. Not really sure why you are bringing TN panels into the mix as the shift from off angle viewing distorts in more than one way , this is about how nearly all IPS panels suffer from this and the U2410 has it pretty strong from what I can tell.

I wonder what the IPS TVs do, because (from my understanding,) they don't suffer from this issue.

The 'white glow' is hardly limited to IPS. PVA suffers the very same issue off angle. Presumably TN does but the viewing angles are so bad everything shifts so radically one doesn't notice white over the yellow and other colours everything shifts to and from.

OSD > Menu > Colour Settings:
Mode Selection: Graphics
Preset Modes: sRGB

Make sure you don't have any wide gamut colour profiles applied in your OS's display settings. On OS X it will default to the u2410 profile which is wide gamut and not for the sRGB preset.

I'm new to Macs and will be getting a u2410 soon...is there a way to change profiles on Snow Leopard and what would I set it to?

Also any feedback on how a u2410 looks with a Mac (Hackintosh box)? Is there a comparable IPS panel that does better with Mac?

Last edited:
What are the differences between Rev A01 and Rev A00?

From looking at the two U2410s I have (1 Rev A00 - Jul 2009 and 1 Rev A01 - May 2010). The A01 seems to have a bluer over all tint in sRGB than the A00 (or the A00 has a pinker over all tint than the A01). I'm planning on sending one of the two back, but it's hard to determine which of the two monitors is more accurate.

Here are some pictures of the A00 (left) and the A01 (right) side by side in clone mode in Vista with colour set to sRGB (the only other change is that brightness was dropped from 50 (default) to 22 on both monitors):

Black screen:
http://i.imgur.com/6OYfi.jpg

White screen:
http://i.imgur.com/cVFC0.jpg

Jon Stewart:
http://i.imgur.com/HBkbb.jpg

My background:
http://i.imgur.com/SsnzE.jpg

Does anyone else notice that the A00 is pinkish and the A01 is bluish?

Also, is it better to link to images as above, or should I just have inserted the images into the post?

I'm new to Macs and will be getting a u2410 soon...is there a way to change profiles on Snow Leopard and what would I set it to?

System Preferences > Displays > Color

It will default to Dell u2410 which is for the monitor's standard graphics mode which is wide gamut and you will definitely want to change it if you are using the monitor's sRGB graphics mode. I'm using "sRGB IEC61966-2.1".

I wonder what the IPS TVs do, because (from my understanding,) they don't suffer from this issue.

I haven't seen any that don't have the off angle shift to white. Shouldn't notice it so much with a TV because you sit so much further back from it.

System Preferences > Displays > Color

It will default to Dell u2410 which is for the monitor's standard graphics mode which is wide gamut and you will definitely want to change it if you are using the monitor's sRGB graphics mode. I'm using "sRGB IEC61966-2.1".

Thanks for that...one other question about the hardware revisions (A00 vs A01):

Other than the firmware "screwing with" the analog inputs, should there be any difference between A00 post-firmware and A01 with the dithering? I can get a slightly used "tint-free" A00 for $425 from a friend (I've seen it) or I can order from Dell now for $487 and hope for an A01...any opinions?

Thanks for that...one other question about the hardware revisions (A00 vs A01):

Other than the firmware "screwing with" the analog inputs, should there be any difference between A00 post-firmware and A01 with the dithering? I can get a slightly used "tint-free" A00 for $425 from a friend (I've seen it) or I can order from Dell now for $487 and hope for an A01...any opinions?

New you will definitely get an a01. They have been shipping for some time now. The a01 has no dithering in sRGB or adobeRGB modes where the a00 does. As far as I know there weren't any other changes from a00 to a01 firmware. You could get the used a01 and flash it to a01 yourself. Many have done it.

New you will definitely get an a01. They have been shipping for some time now. The a01 has no dithering in sRGB or adobeRGB modes where the a00 does. As far as I know there weren't any other changes from a00 to a01 firmware. You could get the used a01 and flash it to a01 yourself. Many have done it.

The used a00 I could get already has the firmware flashed so does that mean visually it will look the same as a hardware a01 model as far as the dithering issue goes?

Has anyone tried the icc profile from the tftcentral website for the sRGB preset? It seems MUCH different from any other icc profile...it seems wrong yet it's to the point my eyes are tricking me into liking it...

I know it's not as good as calibrating but I just got my U2410 and I'm just trying to get off to a "good start"...

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

Has anyone tried the icc profile from the tftcentral website for the sRGB preset? It seems MUCH different from any other icc profile.
The DELL has a WCG-CCFL backlight. tftcentral has measured with a colorimeter without applying a correction. So you will at least end up with a white point that is quite far off from the one that was the calibration aim (and isn't located on the black body curve). Don't use their values for the RGB gain controls.

The sRGB preset is good for work in unmanaged applications. It is quite exact and neutral (Link). Just choose the sRGB color space profile in windows even if the gradation isn't exactly reached.

Best regards

Denis

The DELL has a WCG-CCFL backlight. tftcentral has measured with a colorimeter without applying a correction. So you will at least end up with a white point that is quite far off from the one that was the calibration aim (and isn't located on the black body curve). Don't use their values for the RGB gain controls.

The sRGB preset is good for work in unmanaged applications. It is quite exact and neutral (Link). Just choose the sRGB color space profile in windows even if the gradation isn't exactly reached.

Best regards

Denis

Thanks...I am using a Mac with Snow Leopard so I'm assuming I would just use "sRGB IEC61966-2.1"? Dell's beta v3 profile is not for sRGB mode, correct?

I've been playing around with my calibration and I have the standard preset working pretty good with great numbers but there seems to be a hint of blue over my whites even thou the calibration is almost perfect. Has anyone else come across this?

I play a lot of games and while the color looks pretty good it could be much better. Is there a way to get the reduced lag, in Game mode, while using the tweaked Standard colors I have calibrated?

Hello guys! Does anyone here know any monitor testing tool that will help me determine if my Dell U2410 has any dead or stuck pixels? It has to be compatible with Windows Vista 64-bit. Also, I would greatly appreciate if the tool can be ran without having to install it on my computer. For example, I can run it directly from a USB flash drive.

Thanks,
Cherub

I'm pretty sure it will work with Vista 64-bit. I use it with Windows 7 64-bit, but I have used it for several years so I am pretty sure I have used it with Vista 64-bit.

Works with windows server 2008 R2 as well so it's definitely going to work on 64 vista

Thank you guys for your assurance! I will try running the download from my USB key once I got home from work.

Just you know, I was doing a research on DisplayMate USB Drive and its compatibility with Vista 64-bit. The problem with DisplayMate if used in a 64-bit Windows environment is that I have to download an emulation software first, which what I'm trying to avoid in the first place.

So I've been looking at this monitor since last year but its initial price and the issues mentioned in this forum scared me away so I went with a samsung TN LED XL2370. The samsung is great for a TN monitor, but I was looking for something more in terms of color reproduction. So I started looking back at the U2410.

After hovering around here for a couple months I finally pulled the trigger with the recent sale + bing cash back, Final price was $409.72 + tax . I got the monitor yesterday and I can state that after calibration with my spyder3elite, I don't have any tinting issues and no dead/stuck pixels. I do notice the anti-glare coating especially in white areas but it doesn't bother me really. I have to give credit to the XL2370 -- that is a top notch TN panel.

Hi- I'm pretty noobish when it comes to monitor calibrating. I don't have any external calibration tools etc. but I do know a good quality monitor and what looks right when i see it. I only had a few hours with my U2410 last night, but my first impression out of the box was that it was way too bright and hurt my eyes.

aside from turning down the brightness on the unit, what would be the next steps to get this display to be acceptable in color reproduction w/o being too dim or bright? I have a feeling this monitor is going to be great, it just needs tweaking and and i have no idea how. my 2007FP and 2007WFP were great out of the box so i don't have much experience..

I've got my finger on the trigger for one of these. $444 from a guy on ebay that claims to sell new ones with the full warranty stacked with a bing cashback. Is this an acceptable price for one of these? I see posts from people who paid $407, but unfortunately, I am in Texas, so even if super-duper Dell coupons come around again I would have to pay sales tax. There's even someone who managed to stack the coupons just right and get one for $360, but remember, with sales tax that would be about $400 for me.

Hello Sirs,

I recently found a good deal on this monitor and went for it. I'm not an expert on these things but it looks pretty good. For some reason the refresh rate is stuck at 59 Hz thought, don't know what that is about (I have Windows 7 64 bit).

One thing i do notice is that sometimes i can see a thin purplish/violet line where the black and white meet. For example on my mouse cursor, i can see it on the left edge of it. I can also see it for example on the white border that is around the quick reply box. I'm not sure if this is usual.

Hello Sirs,

I recently found a good deal on this monitor and went for it. I'm not an expert on these things but it looks pretty good. For some reason the refresh rate is stuck at 59 Hz thought, don't know what that is about (I have Windows 7 64 bit).

One thing i do notice is that sometimes i can see a thin purplish/violet line where the black and white meet. For example on my mouse cursor, i can see it on the left edge of it. I can also see it for example on the white border that is around the quick reply box. I'm not sure if this is usual.

The refresh rate thing is normal. The purple line isn't. Please take a photo of what you are seeing and post it here. (set your camera to macro mode, cover the location on the screen with clear packing tape, and put your camera on a table or something to form a vibration free surface)

Is Adobe RGB and sRGB mode the recommended modes to use overall if one does not care about calibrating? Is one better then the other? Adobe RGB is what looks good to me.

Thanks

sRGB mode is the one to use in absolutely all cases except when you are doing image editing in a gamut aware program with wide gamut images from a high end digital camera. Or browsing flicker with safari. Other than that, for all games, movies, and nearly all other software applications, the only correct mode is sRGB. No exceptions - adobe may 'look' better because it is showing you brighter, more saturated colors than the software you are running is intending to display.

I must admit i never understood how macro mode worked on my camera, so i just took em in standard mode. I don't know if i captured it correctly. Could do a better job with the focus.

In the first picture, ignore the purple dashes on the horizontal line. That's the camera doing something weird. The thing i do see is the purple line on the left of the vertical(although in real it's thinner and sharper). It's anywhere something bright and dark meet. Like white text on black.

http://picasaweb.google.com/aaak84/TV#5483588057951130978

http://picasaweb.google.com/aaak84/TV#5483588064081391362

I guess I will try and get used to sRGB then. Does anyone know how to access the service menu in this monitor? I would like to see how many hours of run time it has.

sRGB mode is the one to use in absolutely all cases except when you are doing image editing in a gamut aware program with wide gamut images from a high end digital camera. Or browsing flicker with safari. Other than that, for all games, movies, and nearly all other software applications, the only correct mode is sRGB. No exceptions - adobe may 'look' better because it is showing you brighter, more saturated colors than the software you are running is intending to display.

+1

(firefox too)

I must admit i never understood how macro mode worked on my camera, so i just took em in standard mode. I don't know if i captured it correctly. Could do a better job with the focus.

In the first picture, ignore the purple dashes on the horizontal line. That's the camera doing something weird. The thing i do see is the purple line on the left of the vertical(although in real it's thinner and sharper). It's anywhere something bright and dark meet. Like white text on black.

http://picasaweb.google.com/aaak84/TV#5483588057951130978

http://picasaweb.google.com/aaak84/TV#5483588064081391362

Is there symmetry? There should be reddish fringes where light and dark stuff meet elsewhere, in some cases, where you are seeing the other subpixels at work.

Im running three dell U2410s in an eyefinity setup and I was experiencing the green tint issue when looking at photos. Well I recently had to do a complete re-install of my operating system and did a whole bunch of system updates and you know what? There is no more tinting issue! All three monitors are now crisp and perfect, all three had tinting issues before, but now it is gone completely! WTF happened!!!

I inadvertently found a rewiev about this monitor. I didn't search for a new display but a familiar "blogger" posted an in-depth test and I felt the beginning of a true love (in a figurative sense, of course, and not with the blogger. :D).
I know the guy (virtually from the net) so I talked with him about this display more deeply but I would like to get a wider image and ask for your opinions.

I have a Lenovo L220x which was a best buy on the quality/price side when I bought it 2 years ago. I knew it is not a perfect construction but it replaced a transitory TN+Film display, so I was happy with it (at least for some days).
I like it's S-PVA panel but not it's back-light. The native white point is very reddish so I have to make big changes with the RGB gains during the calibration. (I have an EyeOne Display 2 instrument and I can use it...) The gamma curve is acceptable but it needs a moderate correction through the VGA LUT. So, with full 8 bit connection and internal processing, I can notice some lost gradiation near to the "zero" and full luminance levels (at least on test patterns).
Another problem that I need to do a software based gamut correction for movies which further reduces the number of the shades. This CCFL has a wide but very strange offset gamut, so humans looks like big lobsters (with calibrated WP and gamma - You can guess why I bought a colorimeter for this display which was more reddish with factory settings...)

So, I think I could appreciate the good aspects of this display (10 bit from the VGA LUT, 8+2 bit visualization, 12 bit internal processing with gamut correction and 100% sRGB coverage, ect).

But how does the internal sRGB gamut correction work in the practice? I could see the nice CIE charts with nearly perfect sRGB coverage but will it be nice after software calibration? (I would adjust the RGB gains in the service menu and use the VGA LUT for gamma correction as I used to...)

Does it have enough contrast in software calibrated sRGB mode? My current l220x has 950:1 ratio in native gamut. (But this number decreases with software gamut correction and I never measured this value with test videos and CMS supported video renderer which I use...) According to someone's measures U2410 has ~750:1 ratio in calibrated sRGB mode. Would it be a sensible difference?
I loved the high contrast ration of the c-PVA panel which I calibrated for a friend. (But I can't stand the black crush and the high response time, or 6+2 bit dithering...)

I can do gamut correction with the video renderer, photo viewer/editor and web browser softwares. So, I would use this internal gamut conversion to get correct colors in PC games as well. (And to get better quality than I have with software correction now...) Is there any noticeable input lag with the sRGB gamut correction?

A new U2410 cost ~135k and I can sell my l220x for ~50k (HUF but it does not matter...), so it would be a relatively expensive upgrade.

And here is one other thing: The refresh rate is fixed to 60Hz (like with my current display) and my other dream is a display with 48 or 72 Hz (unofficial but working) support.
Is there any display which shares it's main parameters with the U2410 but can work at 48 or 72 Hz?

And I am curious about the 3D Vision technique. It could be an interesting thing in the near future but it would require a display with 120 Hz support. (Which would solve the 3:2 FRC problem as well...) I would not change my monitor soon again. Which is the estimated arrival of affordable 120Hz PC monitors with IPS panels? (Is it more than 1-2 year?)

And the question: Would it be a suggested upgrade for me? Or do you have any other suggestions in this price range (like U2410) which could be a better choice for me?

And I like the big resolutions and small pixel sizes. Should I consider to choose the U2711? That one has 1,6x more pixels and smaller pixels than the U2410. Is there any noticeable backward with the Blu-Ray sources and luma resizers? (I am using spline64 for 720p and it doesn't look bad, but that is a much bigger screen...)

Last question: Which one is the theoretically best connection between an HD 5850 and a U2410? Does this display do a native DP signal processing or does it convert it back to DVI signal first (with possible input lag)? (Should I buy a HDMI cable for it?)

Last edited:
Hi,

I have this monitor since March and am very happy with it. I recently noticed that the Dell support site shows a new revision: A02. Has anyone used this or have any word of caution before we install this:

http://support.us.dell.com/support/...dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=402065

Thanks,

Well, if you're going to try it out let us know, I'm interested to see what changed. I have a rev01 myself.

To my knowledge nothing is wrong with mine. But who knows :)

*EDIT*

it seems it's just a color profile. Nothing more.
I should have read hotneutron's post :D

Last edited:
I chose to buy this display. According to the reviews I loved it very much. But I really hate it now! This is a sick trash.
I don't want to keep it or even see it again.

I connected it to my Radeon HD5850 with the equipped DisplayPort cable (and according to the Moninfo software, it delivers 10 bit/color signal).

It is an A01 revision and I received the calibration report which would indicate that this is a new one. But it isn't. There is a heavy deterioration around the tuch-button-LEDs. But I wouldn't complain if the display would work well.

The Standar mode has a gamma curve which lies around the gamma 1.7 curve and white is really yellowish. I tried to calibrate it with the usual targets (D65, gamma 2.2) but I got a contrast ratio about 480:1 and white wasn't really white (like a cheap TN panel when you feel: "it could be anything but not a perfect white...") and I had serious black crush and other banding issues. The first two bar was identically black on the 6 bit graycale (even a proper TN should show some difference without dithering) and the third one was barely noticeable. There was a jump after the dark bars and some other strange thing near to the full white... So, Standard mode is not an option for me.

Custom mode shares the main problems with the Standard mode. It has a gamma curve around the 2.0 curve. It gave me the possibility to set the RGB Gains but it produces very bad color accuracy (dE94.max above 6.0) even I didn't use any of the image manipulation settings (like Saturation, ect...) and low (~500:1) contrast as well. And RGB Gains won't help if I change the gamma curve with the VGA LUT. (It is better the leave them at 100% -> more about that later...)

After the first horrible results I set the withe point in the service menu for the 6500K preset. It helped a lot with the yellowish Standard preset but it wasn't good enough to solve the gradient banding.
As a last attempt I set every RGB value to 255 for the 6500K preset and I let the calibration software to do it's job with the VGA LUT. It gave me strange LUT curves and this was the best result so far. But it doesn't fixed every banding issues.

I let the 6500k factory settings on 255-255-255 for now because I found it better to let the LUT to set the white balance, because it varies with the grayscalse too much. So, I have more acceptable LUT curves and much higher contrast ratio (~650:1) with these settings.
And it works (I achieved a higher contrast with lower black luminance), so at least the 10 bit/color output works well.

I tried to calibrate the sRGB preset which has a much acceptable gamma curve but I already had banding. So, after a closer look at the measured uncalibrated gamma curve in this preset I figured it out that this would like to be a real sRGB curve.
They used the real sRGB curve for the sRGB preset which would be a very good thing. But not in this case when I can't use any other presets and I want a gamma 2.2 curve for general usage.

The best thing I could do is an sRGB preset (with 255-255-255 RGB values in the service menu) which I calibrated with the real sRGB curve. (It is only a lucky accident that my calibration software has this ability. Only a few -expensive- softwares offer this target...)
I can notice every dark bar on the 7 bit grayscale now. (8 bit is too much for a 8+2 bit display. Hahhh, ok. But I can live with this...)

But I am not satisfied because there is too much sacrifices:
- I want a gamma 2.2 instead of the sRGB curve
- White isn't perfectly white (LUT curves looks very strange at the end stage).
- 8 bit grayscale isn't perfect
- The gamut clipping (involved by this preset mode) is far from perfect (It would be better to do the clipping by color managed sofwares but I can't use any preset which uses the native gamut...)

So, after all I spent a lot of time to make this display usable but it is already worse than my old display which was much cheaper (half of the cost) 2 years ago.
The only advantage is the fine-tuned overdrive. I really like that after my S-PVA display.

Thank you Dell and all of the reviewers. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions?

Back