Dell U2410

Ok, so I just received a DELL U2410. I'm extremely satisfied with it so far. I have read about all the pros and cons, and when ti comes down to it, its still an awesome monitor for any kind of photo/visual/color work. As usual, cons and personal claims of cons get blown out to all hell on the internet.

Mine does have pink tinting in AdobeRGB and sRGB modes. Standard mode looks great though, and is fine for my photo work.

BUT!!!!
I have been reading tons of forums about this monitor, and have not come across a FIX for the tinting, as most of you reading this now are going to say "Duh idiot, its the hardware"

I SEEM to have come across a fix. YES a FIX. (I know the way I'm writing this sounds extremely cheesy right? RIGHT!? well deal with it)

**When viewing your DELL U2410 in AdobeRGB or sRGB, assuming you have the tinting issue (Those who don't are lucky) Go your sharpness setting in the on screen menu, and just move the sharpness setting UP OR DOWN either way. Just one move up or down, and then back to your setting if you like. AND THE TINTING INSTANTLY GOES AWAY. NO SHYT. The screen litterealy OPENS UP. It looks perfect. Its instantly noticeable and you cant miss it. **

Now I have not come across anyone else doing this.

But anyways, this seems to me like this may possibly be a firmware problem ,rather than hardware, and may actually be fixable.

Before anyone starts saying I dont know what I'm talking about blah blah blah. I am NOT confusing this with the sharpness setting "compensating" for the tinting. THE TINTING JUST STRAIGHT GOES AWAY. ITS INSTANT. No matter how much you move the sharpness.

Also, this could all be limited to my case and may not work else ware, or on few others, im not sure.

As well the tinting DOES COME BACK when the monitor has been off for a while, or goes into sleep mode. Otherwise I'm fine with AdobeRGB & sRGB now.

Extremely interesting.
Maybe they could program that sharpness movement into the firmware to keep the tinting from coming back.
No one would notice most likely if the sharpness changed it's setting by 1 notch every other direction every other time every 30 minutes or so.

Ok, so I just received a DELL U2410. I'm extremely satisfied with it so far. I have read about all the pros and cons, and when ti comes down to it, its still an awesome monitor for any kind of photo/visual/color work. As usual, cons and personal claims of cons get blown out to all hell on the internet.

Mine does have pink tinting in AdobeRGB and sRGB modes. Standard mode looks great though, and is fine for my photo work.

BUT!!!!
I have been reading tons of forums about this monitor, and have not come across a FIX for the tinting, as most of you reading this now are going to say "Duh idiot, its the hardware"

I SEEM to have come across a fix. YES a FIX. (I know the way I'm writing this sounds extremely cheesy right? RIGHT!? well deal with it)

**When viewing your DELL U2410 in AdobeRGB or sRGB, assuming you have the tinting issue (Those who don't are lucky) Go your sharpness setting in the on screen menu, and just move the sharpness setting UP OR DOWN either way. Just one move up or down, and then back to your setting if you like. AND THE TINTING INSTANTLY GOES AWAY. NO SHYT. The screen litterealy OPENS UP. It looks perfect. Its instantly noticeable and you cant miss it. **

Now I have not come across anyone else doing this.

But anyways, this seems to me like this may possibly be a firmware problem ,rather than hardware, and may actually be fixable.

Before anyone starts saying I dont know what I'm talking about blah blah blah. I am NOT confusing this with the sharpness setting "compensating" for the tinting. THE TINTING JUST STRAIGHT GOES AWAY. ITS INSTANT. No matter how much you move the sharpness.

Also, this could all be limited to my case and may not work else ware, or on few others, im not sure.

As well the tinting DOES COME BACK when the monitor has been off for a while, or goes into sleep mode. Otherwise I'm fine with AdobeRGB & sRGB now.

It work for your case...but not for mine...after adjust the sharpness, still no changes for my U2410 which have pink issue on whole right part.

Bit of an update on my case...

When I turn the computer off, and keep the monitor on (So it goes into its sleep mode) and then turn my computer back on the next morning (For example, like this morning) the tint comes back. BUT if I turn the monitors power completely off, and then back on whenever I start my computer back up, it seems to not bring the tint back. This is for Adobe RGB & sRGB.

* Also, some clarification on my first post, the change happens after the first move of the sharpness setting, not after moving it back to where you had it. Its just instant as soon as you move the setting.

It work for your case...but not for mine...after adjust the sharpness, still no changes for my U2410 which have pink issue on whole right part.

Since yours has the tinting on only half the screen, this probably IS a hardware problem. But for most users who have the entire screen tint, I am confident it will work! Still waiting to hear from others.

Since yours has the tinting on only half the screen, this probably IS a hardware problem. But for most users who have the entire screen tint, I am confident it will work! Still waiting to hear from others.
If you have "entire screen tint" (meaning an even tint across the whole screen) this is NOT the tint issue which was being discussed.. That just means your screen is calibrated wrongly! This can easily be fixed with just about any calibration device, or by adjusting the RGB values manually to remove the tint. Also, if tint is not visible easily in ALL modes this is also a good indication that you have a calibration issue or VERY mild tint which can be corrected.

The tint issue being discussed in these threads is a uniformity issue where noticeable colour gradation exists on the screen, particularly when viewing white or grey backgrounds. This tends to take the form of the screen being greenish on one side and pink on the other, or sometimes one of those colours in combination with blue. Because the two sides of the screen are noticeably different it means there is no easy fix, because the U2410 cannot adjust different areas of the screen individually. Turn down the green on one side and it removes the green tint, but makes it even more red on the other side etc.

Here is what the tint issue looks like. Please keep in mind this is what people are talking about when they discuss "the tint issue". It affects a sizable percentage of U2410's, and if any of you doubt that then go and look and Dells response to this issue, because that is your clearest indication that a sizable percentage of U2410's have the issue.

This is the "classic" tint issue. Note saturation is boosted to more easily illustrate the issue
U2410_SuffersPinkTintFlaw.jpg

2 U2410's side by side. Screen on left does not have the tint issue, screen on right has a the tint issue (pink bottom left, blue top right)
(Squint your eyes slightly and it might give a better idea of what is seen)
U2410NoTint4LeftTint3right6314.jpg

This issue can range from barely noticeable to very obvious and everywhere in between. In the interest of balance it should also be pointed out a decent percentage (likely the majority) of U2410's DON'T have this issue, or at least not to any bothersome degree. This issue can only be solved by Dell paying LG for a higher grade of panel or implementing independent controls for different screen zones. Backlighting which provides a more limited colour gamut may also reduce perception of these issues (and could partly explain why there are less reports of Apple screens suffering these issues). Dell are simply banking on the fact that they can buy cheap IPS panels from LG because the "average consumer" won't notice the issue, even if it's obnoxiously obvious to others.

Adjusting the sharpness may alter perceived tint slightly in specific situations, but isn't a fix. Also, every U2410 I've seen consistently produced the best results on the Lagom sharpness test ( http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php ) by being left at the default setting of 50, thus I'd recommend they're left at that.

Last edited:
This tint issue appears in all the modes or certeain modes (like dithering?) like sRGB or either Adobe RGB? I'm planning buying these for gaming I hope doesn't apply to gamer mode :(

Last edited:
This tint issue appears in all the modes or certeain modes (like dithering?) like sRGB or either Adobe RGB? I'm planning buying these for gaming I hope doesn't apply to gamer mode :(
Tint appears in all modes, if your screen has it. Operating within a limited gamut (like sRGB) may minimize the tints appearance very very slightly. However all U2410's currently have the dither issue, but all U2410's DO NOT have gradation tinting issues. Whether your U2410 has gradation tint or not is down to random chance in the Dell panel lottery.

Does the dithering apply to gamer mode?
No, it doesn't. I know someone said it does, but I'm not sure what they were seeing.. perhaps the matte anti glare coating.

Well my monitor is said to arrive on the 30th of December...let's cross our fingers and hope it doesn't have the tinting, and that the dithering doesn't effect gaming mode.

Is there an image I should test the dithering with?

I don't care about the SRGB, or Adobe RGB...I'll just use custom standard mode (I hope) to configure colors to my liking, since I don't color professionally.

Well my monitor is said to arrive on the 30th of December...let's cross our fingers and hope it doesn't have the tinting, and that the dithering doesn't effect gaming mode.

Is there an image I should test the dithering with?

I don't care about the SRGB, or Adobe RGB...I'll just use custom standard mode (I hope) to configure colors to my liking, since I don't color professionally.

View the image at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
Dithering effects are very obvious in the squares 11 and up. I just recently tested my new U2410 for the dithering, it is only Adobe RGB and sRGB modes. The other modes all have uniform color without obvious dithering effects (doesn't mean it isn't still doing dithering, I think it has to, but it isn't doing _crappy_ dithering).

I was lucky and got a monitor without bad tint issues but the damn thing had a stuck-on green pixel right in the middle. Dell overnighted me another one, showing up tomorrow...

So which dithering effect do the sRGB and Adobe modes have???

My current Soyo 24 inch PVA panel has no dithering (yay!)

Is there any drawback other than less colors for staying in Game mode?

Last edited:
So which dithering effect do the sRGB and Adobe modes have???

My current Soyo 24 inch PVA panel has no dithering (yay!)

Is there any drawback other than less colors for staying in Game mode?

It looks like a static dithering effect. The squares don't appear to have a solid color more like a hazy pattern. The pattern doesn't flicker or at least I don't think it does, so it probably wouldn't a temporal dithering. It's not too bad unless you hit the right shade of grey/black then it becomes bothersome.

Honestly, the bigger issue for me (than the slightly worse tinting on the the replacement) was the IPS glow. Even when viewing the screen straight on, had a good amount of glow in the bottom left and a bit in the top right.

I am surprised this issue is not brought up more freqeuntly with the U2410. The samples I received were also not v.good in this regard. Backlight bleed was a whole other story but the glow was just plain annoying (especially now I have seen other IPS panels to compare to).

I also know now what people were referring to when they said that this screen was excessively grainy.

When put up next to a screen with a less aggressive coating the U2410 does look grainy to the point that it becomes distracting.
IMO it cheapens the screen. See a NEC2490wuxi or Apple Cinema Display in store to see the difference.

Last edited:
Tint appears in all modes, if your screen has it. Operating within a limited gamut (like sRGB) may minimize the tints appearance very very slightly. However all U2410's currently have the dither issue, but all U2410's DO NOT have gradation tinting issues. Whether your U2410 has gradation tint or not is down to random chance in the Dell panel lottery.

No, it doesn't. I know someone said it does, but I'm not sure what they were seeing.. perhaps the matte anti glare coating.

thank you, my doubt is clear, its sad though... I was planning grabbing 3 of these for eyefinity but the chances of getting one with the tint issue is higher :mad:

Really? You bought a statistically significant number of NEC and Dell monitors and measured and compared them and can now "confirm"? Or is that you believe the ones you bought are the only ones that count?

4 attempts for me is enough. If Dell can't get it right in 4 goes then something is seriously wrong.

Plenty more examples of Dell's record re: panel uniformity on this forum and many others.

Enough said.

Does anyone have a name or number of someone at dell who can give me a good price on this monitor? And if so what is the lowest price I can get. Thanks

You can use bing, combined with eBay to get the monitor from Dell's ebay auction for $500 with 8% off and free shipping+no tax.

Probably will end up going the dell store on ebay route. Still cheaper and get the cash back. I prefer to buy directly from dell that way I can return it if I don't like it.

OK, well, mine came today.

I hate it.
1st. Whatever the heck Dell used for the Matte coating...it is extremely grainy.
None of my other matte screens have this kind of horrid matte coating.
I think it must have something to do with the way no one wants to pay for quality matte anymore.
Whatever. : (

2nd. The screen is too deep inside it's frame. I notice reflections on all four sides.

3rd. Tinting issue. Screen color is completely perfect on the right most part, and gradiently gets horrible (probably greener) the more left we go.
(update, pink on the right after making it perfect in the middle)

4th. I can't work this touch controls at all, they switch from completely non responsive to way too sensitive in the blink of an eye.

It's a shame though, because I love the sharpness of the screen, and even though I'm in custom mode, and haven't change anything, the very right most side is perfect.

Last edited:

I hate it.
1st. Whatever the heck Dell used for the Matte coating...it is extremely grainy.
I think it must have something to do with the way no one wants to pay for quality matte anymore.

LG is the one who actually made the panel. I don't think dell has much choice here unless they want to pay for a specalized coating which aint going to happen! Maybe if we complain enough to LG about there matte coatings.

I hate it.

2nd. The screen is too deep inside it's frame. I notice reflections on all four sides.

3rd. Tinting issue. Screen color is completely perfect on the right most part, and gradiently gets horrible (probably greener) the more left we go.
(update, pink on the right after making it perfect in the middle)

4th. I can't work this touch controls at all, they switch from completely non responsive to way too sensitive in the blink of an eye.

It's a shame though, because I love the sharpness of the screen, and even though I'm in custom mode, and haven't change anything, the very right most side is perfect.

Have you ever used IPS monitors before? My old NEC had the same "sparkle" to it's anti-glare coating, as does my friend's Doublesight IPS. It doesn't bother me much at all, but I can see how it might to others. And I actually love the touch controls, they're super snappy, and really slick looking.

Sorry to hear about the tint issue, it's quite rare, and if it's something that bothers you you should exchange it with Dell, just say you found a bright pixel on it ;-)
Oh, and if you do exchange it be sure to ask them for the new rev.01 firmware!

Have you ever used IPS monitors before? My old NEC had the same "sparkle" to it's anti-glare coating, as does my friend's Doublesight IPS. It doesn't bother me much at all, but I can see how it might to others. And I actually love the touch controls, they're super snappy, and really slick looking.

Sorry to hear about the tint issue, it's quite rare, and if it's something that bothers you you should exchange it with Dell, just say you found a bright pixel on it ;-)
Oh, and if you do exchange it be sure to ask them for the new rev.01 firmware!

No its not rare! Its quite COMMON! So common that Dell considers it as a spec.
Touch sensitive buttons are not that great.
Anti-glare coating is not great.
Dithering is not great....

No its not rare! Its quite COMMON! So common that Dell considers it as a spec.
Haha.. :D Indeed.. And that, more than anything, tells you all you need to know. Ignore the opinions here and look at Dells own words and Dells own actions - gradation tint is a common issue with the U2410. HOWEVER there is a flip side to this coin..

Dell will defend their policy by pointing out (quite truthfully, I think) that the vast majority of consumers simply don't notice any tint.. thus there is no issue as far as they're concerned. Tint? What tint? Taking such an attitude towards things IE "there's no problem, not because it doesn't exist, but because most people never notice it" raises all sorts of issues, and it appears Dell partly feels like it can act in this way because of the utter lack of serious competition in its price segment in the non TN market, outside of the HP LP2475W which has exactly the same issues. And why is there no big IPS market? Because the average consumer doesn't really notice much different between TN and IPS either, which makes you wonder why they're buying a U2410 in the first place if that's the case..

Is theres a way to fix the tint issue?? can Dell fix it with a firmware update or something?

Is theres a way to fix the tint issue?? can Dell fix it with a firmware update or something?
No.

But.. you can attempt to minimize the issue. This is most easily done by viewing a white background and then turning down the GAIN of any red, green, or blue tint you see in custom mode until you get a more neutral white.. it's a bit of a balancing act. This can be further fine tuned for greys with the offset control and very (very!) slightly in hue (staying within the values of 48 to 52 to avoid banding).

In cases of very mild gradation tint (IE where the gain doesn't need to go below around 96 to totally remove tints) the issue can likely be fixed to most peoples satisfaction. In cases of moderate tint (where you're below 95 but above 90 gain) such tweaks might make it a tolerable issue depending on how sensitive you are to gradation tint. However in more pronounced cases things are always going to look a bit "off" no matter how much you try to adjust for it because when you remove a particular tint from one side of the screen it tends to make the other sides tint more obvious.

It should also be said it depends on usage too. Tint is pretty darned difficult to notice (even in severe cases) when viewing TV/movie material (Since LG produce most of their panels for TV's this also explains why they find the issue acceptable) and in any games which have detailed backgrounds and a lot going on you will have a job noticing it too. It's only really obvious because computer users do things like viewing white backgrounds a lot (think how many webpages have this sort of background) word processing (white background again) and applications like Photoshop (not only a grey background, but also where many more users tend to be more demanding and thus will notice tint more).

Based on these things I'd say it's currently unacceptable to be selling IPS panels for computer usage without offering some sort of adjustment controls which can compensate for the current manufacturing limitations of larger IPS panels. There needs to be a way where users can adjust more than 1 region of the screen independently of others, and it shouldn't just be limited to the more expensive screens, such as what NEC offers with their Colorcomp feature etc. Without this, depending on your usage, you're almost better off with a good quality TN panel in cases of more severe IPS gradation tint..

Last edited:
No.

But.. you can attempt to minimize the issue. This is most easily done by viewing a white background and then turning down the GAIN of any red, green, or blue tint you see in custom mode until you get a more neutral white.. it's a bit of a balancing act. This can be further fine tuned for greys with the offset control and very (very!) slightly in hue (staying within the values of 48 to 52 to avoid banding).

In cases of very mild gradation tint (IE where the gain doesn't need to go below around 96 to totally remove tints) the issue can likely be fixed to most peoples satisfaction. In cases of moderate tint (where you're below 95 but above 90 gain) such tweaks might make it a tolerable issue depending on how sensitive you are to gradation tint. However in more pronounced cases things are always going to look a bit "off" no matter how much you try to adjust for it because when you remove a particular tint from one side of the screen it tends to make the other sides tint more obvious.

It should also be said it depends on usage too. Tint is pretty darned difficult to notice (even in severe cases) when viewing TV/movie material (Since LG produce most of their panels for TV's this also explains why they find the issue acceptable) and in any games which have detailed backgrounds and a lot going on you will have a job noticing it too. It's only really obvious because computer users do things like viewing white backgrounds a lot (think how many webpages have this sort of background) word processing (white background again) and applications like Photoshop (not only grey background, but also where many more users tend to be more demanding and thus will notice tint more).

Based on these things I'd say it's currently unacceptable to be selling IPS panels for computer usage without offering some sort of adjustment controls which can compensate for the current manufacturing limitations of larger IPS panels. There really needs to be a way where users can adjust more than 1 region of the screen independently of others, and it shouldn't just be limited to the more expensive screens, such as NEC which offers this with Colorcomp etc. Without this, depending on your use, you're almost better off with a good quality TN panel in cases of more severe IPS gradation tint..

So basically for gaming (eyefinity setup which could have a higher chance to get one) doesn't bother at all? or going for these may be a better decision? unless you have good TN 24" (1920x1200 if possible) display to recommend me :)

So basically for gaming (eyefinity setup which could have a higher chance to get one) doesn't bother at all? or going for these may be a better decision? unless you have good TN 24" (1920x1200 if possible) display to recommend me :)
If using multiple monitors TN wouldn't be a particularly good option, especially if you're planning 3 screens, because of the viewing angles. Things like Eyefinity should (maybe) mean we'll see more gaming screens which take viewing angles into account though, so I'd wait to see what's announced at CES next week. The one drawback is that although you might see something like VA panels with a low input lag gaming mode, they'll no doubt be 1080p. But I'd definitely wait to see if anything's announced next week.

As for whether you'd notice tint for your particular usage.. it's not really a question which can be answered easily. You might not be particularly sensitive to this (a good indication that you will be is if you find things like TN viewing angles "annoying" because of what they do to the picture), and then there's the variation between panels, and how much you might view white or grey backgrounds. However, if you have more than one screen, and some had the issue and some didn't, it might mean you notice any gradation tint more because you have a direct comparison in front of you.

Wait to see what's announced at CES anyway.. :)

If using multiple monitors TN wouldn't be a particularly good option, especially if you're planning 3 screens, because of the viewing angles. Things like Eyefinity should (maybe) mean we'll see more gaming screens which take viewing angles into account though, so I'd wait to see what's announced at CES next week. The one drawback is that although you might see something like VA panels with a low input lag gaming mode, they'll no doubt be 1080p. But I'd definitely wait to see if anything's announced next week.

As for whether you'd notice tint for your particular usage.. it's not really a question which can be answered easily. You might not be particularly sensitive to this (a good indication that you will be is if you find things like TN viewing angles "annoying" because of what they do to the picture), and then there's the variation between panels, and how much you might view white or grey backgrounds. However, if you have more than one screen, and some had the issue and some didn't, it might mean you notice any gradation tint more because you have a direct comparison in front of you.

Wait to see what's announced at CES anyway.. :)

Thanks! I will wait on CES of course, but the problem is that most of these new products not always comes a after CES, some take months or even before 2010 (Q4) end, I want my setup to be out ASAP at least before March... but who knows I hope we can see good stuff!

Got my U2410 a couple days ago after it being on back order, and no its not the new revision but i see no tint issues so it must be a hit and miss thing.
Or if the tint is there its not enough to distract me. I would not complain at this price point anyways. The last 24" i bought from Dell and is infact the one being replaced with the U2410 was over 1k at the time, so i think this is a real bargin at this price.

Just ordered one, despite the complaints here. Will review it once I receive it!

Have had my Dell U2410 for about @ 4 months now. I could not be happier. I had to turn down the brightness quite a bit. That's it.

My son and I are FPS gamers and belong to a COD-WaW clan. This monitor is plenty fast enough, and picture quality is excellent.

Back