Dell U2410

Did they charge you every time for the monitor?

Also, did they ever send a return label for the monitor that is supposed to be sent back?

This is bullshit.

No, you wont pay anything for the replacement. The UPS guy will contact you to get the replaced monitor.

Well, they dumped the price another $30 to $499 (small and medium business, for home the discount actually went down from $70 to $50 lol), so I went in for that with 5% bing cashback (or so I hope? maybe? The whole bing process seemed like dark voodoo magic and I have no confirmation from anyone that there is a refund coming yet...)

Chris assured that when A01 becomes widespread you can exchange for it so for now I guess that's as good as it gets...

yes for now.
I found that the tinting areas are coincident with the backlight bleeding areas visible on a black screen. I am thinking about dismantling the monitor and put some electrical tape around the panel as someone done to other monitor to fix or reduce the bleeding. Maybe any other technique? Anyone as fixed backlight bleed?

here it is:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell2005_backlight_fix.htm

Would it work with the U2410?

Last edited:
yes for now.
I found that the tinting areas are coincident with the backlight bleeding areas visible on a black screen. I am thinking about dismantling the monitor and put some electrical tape around the panel as someone done to other monitor to fix or reduce the bleeding. Maybe any other technique? Anyone as fixed backlight bleed?

I saw that guide at http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell2005_backlight_fix.htm, all I can say is you are a daring person to dismantle a ~$500 monitor. If you do it, let us know how it goes.

So I've placed an order for a U2410 today, and THEN I came across this thread. I'm not extremely worried about the tint or dithering, but I am still curious if anyone could help me potentially figure out how it may compare to my current monitors: a ViewSonic VX2025wm and Wacom Cintiq 12WX.

So here's a huge compilation of how my Viewsonic appears in its most severe display of dithering and most severe [accurate] viewing angle recreation. The Cintiq, I only bothered with the dithering.

Now, I've been using these two displays for quite some time, [about 2 - 3 years,] and I've been doing a lot of professional work on them without any complaint or particular soul-burning problem. If the U2410 is better than my Viewsonic or Cintiq in either of these areas, I'm sold on not cancelling my order.

I understand there's a pink cast to the screen as reported by a number of users, and I'm pretty certain there's no pink cast in my Viewsonic and Cintiq. [Holding the cintiq to the side of my viewsonic, they both represent the same shades of gray pretty closely with not much difference in temperature/tint.] I do, however, have a first generation iPhone which has a noticeable pink cast in the screen compared to my Viewsonic. I also recall that LED-based PSP screens have a notable pink cast as well. I wonder if the U2410 is any more severe than my iPhone or LED-backlit PSP?

Anyway, here's the image that hopefully a fellow user can observe and tell me if their U2410 kicks considerable ass compared to what I'm using here:

monitor_tests.png

So I've placed an order for a U2410 today, and THEN I came across this thread. I'm not extremely worried about the tint or dithering, but I am still curious if anyone could help me potentially figure out how it may compare to my current monitors: a ViewSonic VX2025wm and Wacom Cintiq 12WX.

So here's a huge compilation of how my Viewsonic appears in its most severe display of dithering and most severe [accurate] viewing angle recreation. The Cintiq, I only bothered with the dithering.

Now, I've been using these two displays for quite some time, [about 2 - 3 years,] and I've been doing a lot of professional work on them without any complaint or particular soul-burning problem. If the U2410 is better than my Viewsonic or Cintiq in either of these areas, I'm sold on not cancelling my order.

I understand there's a pink cast to the screen as reported by a number of users, and I'm pretty certain there's no pink cast in my Viewsonic and Cintiq. [Holding the cintiq to the side of my viewsonic, they both represent the same shades of gray pretty closely with not much difference in temperature/tint.] I do, however, have a first generation iPhone which has a noticeable pink cast in the screen compared to my Viewsonic. I also recall that LED-based PSP screens have a notable pink cast as well. I wonder if the U2410 is any more severe than my iPhone or LED-backlit PSP?

Anyway, here's the image that hopefully a fellow user can observe and tell me if their U2410 kicks considerable ass compared to what I'm using here:

monitor_tests.png

I'm coming from a Viewsonic VX2025wm as well, which has a VA (MVA I think) panel. Biggest differences?

The color on the U2410 is incredible...both RGB modes look better than the Viewsonic in terms of depth of color. Sharpness and detail appear better on the U2410. It is a brighter monitor as well, if that helps.

Drawbacks? The dithering in the RGB modes is apparent in the U2410. There wasn't any dithering with the Viewsonic. Blacks are deeper in the Viewsonic. The IPS antiglare coating in the U2410 makes the screen appear a bit more 'sparkly' or 'dirty' than the Viewsonic. There are no tint issues with the Viewsonic. Whites are white.

So...it's a trade-off, which is par for the fookin' course if you don't spend over $1G on a monitor, a lesson I have learned after far too much time spent reading these forums. :D

Unless you shell out serious cash, there is always a compromise.

With the U2410 you get more real estate, more connection options, better colors and a future-proof wide color gamut. With the VX2025wm you get less sparkle, better blacks, no dithering and an excellent sRGB mode right out of the box. No tint issues either.

If the Viewsonic was a 24" monitor with DisplayPort, I'd have kept it.

The 1920x1200 res and better color overall are the main reasons I've kept the U2410.

Sad that an old monitor like the VX2025wm can essentially out-compete an IPS panel like this on so many levels.

I'm coming from a Viewsonic VX2025wm as well, which has a VA (MVA I think) panel. Biggest differences?

The color on the U2410 is incredible...both RGB modes look better than the Viewsonic in terms of depth of color. Sharpness and detail appear better on the U2410. It is a brighter monitor as well, if that helps.

Drawbacks? The dithering in the RGB modes is apparent in the U2410. There wasn't any dithering with the Viewsonic. Blacks are deeper in the Viewsonic. The IPS antiglare coating in the U2410 makes the screen appear a bit more 'sparkly' or 'dirty' than the Viewsonic. There are no tint issues with the Viewsonic. Whites are white.

So...it's a trade-off, which is par for the fookin' course if you don't spend over $1G on a monitor, a lesson I have learned after far too much time spent reading these forums.

Unless you shell out serious cash, there is always a compromise.

With the U2410 you get more real estate, more connection options, better colors and a future-proof wide color gamut. With the VX2025wm you get less sparkle, better blacks, no dithering and an excellent sRGB mode right out of the box. No tint issues either.

If the Viewsonic was a 24" monitor with DisplayPort, I'd have kept it.

The 1920x1200 res and better color overall are the main reasons I've kept the U2410.

Sad that an old monitor like the VX2025wm can essentially out-compete an IPS panel like this on so many levels.

Ohh so the panel is a VA. I see. I was definitely always impressed by the black level of the viewsonic, that's for sure. But there are many times I wish its brightness could be a little more punchy while I'm gaming.

So the dithering is worse on the U2410, but would you say it's definitely better than the Cintiq? If it's better than how the Cintiq appears, I can live with that without much quarrel. The extra real estate, wide gamut, faster latency, connections, and screen pivoting functions far outweigh that one issue.

At the same time, the dithering only appears when in the Adobe or sRGB mode right? I'm not likely going to be using these options often -- even on my Viewsonic right now, I'm using the User Color mode since I wanted to reduce the slight red tinge it naturally had, I noticed. I live in Adobe programs which are [obviously] color managed, and I use Windows 7 which to my understanding supports wide-gamut OS-wide now [or just xvYCC?] I'm unsure about the total details on this. *reading up on it for personal enrichment*

Even then by what it sounds like throughout this thread, it seems like if the dithering really bothers me, I can bitch about it to Dell and they'll replace it after A01 comes around.. I hope what people have been saying about that is true

Whooooooooooooa hang on just a minute, I found a photo and a video on youtube of the dithering issues these monitors have.

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/3529/0841.DSC01446.JPG
The photo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b43vduFPinQ
The video

That's SERIOUSLY how bad the dithering is on the sRGB/Adobe modes?! It looks like the monitor is applying a photoshop Noise Filter to all the squares!! At first I thought the dithering was just ISO noise in the photo. But it's the actual monitor?! That's absolutely ridiculous o__o This would be way worse than the noise on my Cintiq. The cintiq is tolerable because while noticeable, it's at least monochrome and moves around.

If these examples are accurate, I'm cancelling my order as soon as I can tomorrow.

Last edited:
Whooooooooooooa hang on just a minute, I found a photo and a video on youtube of the dithering issues these monitors have.

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/3529/0841.DSC01446.JPG
The photo

The video

That's SERIOUSLY how bad the dithering is on the sRGB/Adobe modes?! It looks like the monitor is applying a photoshop Noise Filter to all the squares!! At first I thought the dithering was just ISO noise in the photo. But it's the actual monitor?! That's absolutely ridiculous o__o This would be way worse than the noise on my Cintiq. The cintiq is tolerable because while noticeable, it's at least monochrome and moves around.

If these examples are accurate, I'm cancelling my order as soon as I can tomorrow.

If you are using color-managed apps mostly, use the Standard setting and calibrate it. You'll have zero dithering.

I've been using the Adobe RGB mode and I really only notice the dithering in dark games. If it bothers you, you can always use a different mode for gaming (like the game mode, lol).

I'm waiting to see what the outcome will be for Rev A01. I will likely exchange at some point for a monitor with new firmware, however I will only do so if I can compare to my existing one (which has been the case thus far).

The photo

The video

That youtube video is pretty pointless as the camera which took it has way more noise and artifacts then the dithering issue in the U2410. The dithering issue is really not that bad, you can only tell there is dithering if you put your nose up to the screen. Sitting back a few feet you can hardly notice it. The only place I've actually noticed dithering in the RGB modes was while viewing the Lagom test and very dark areas in a video game, and that was only if I looked up close to the screen. Why anyone would use the RGB modes for gaming anyways is beyond me, there's very significant lag in these modes. For games game mode is a must.

You all are blowing this dithering problem way out of proportion. It's very rarely noticeable during normal use, and only while in the preset RGB modes. These modes aren't even that useful anyways as noted in the review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm If you're doing color sensitive work you'd take the time and calibrate the monitor properly in standard or custom modes.

Last edited:
Sorry but paying the high price and having so many issues with it.. its just not worth it

Except that those "issues" either rarely exist (tinting), or are hardly noticeable (dithering in RGB preset). Both of which can be remedied -- if you're extremely unlucky and receive a tinted screen just send it back to Dell claiming you see a broken pixel, if you really actually care about the dithering in the RGB preset you can get a Rev.A01 replacement as soon as they're available.

The highlights of this monitor completely out shine the possible (but unlikely) drawbacks, especially since this is a 24" IPS monitor for $500 -- You complain about the high price, I dare you to find something comparable at this low price point.

Another update.
Doesn't look good ;)

DELL-Chris M said:
Gecks,
Question still remains - how did Dell fix/address this in the *new* firmware? Is it truly a *fix* or has Dell simply expanded the RGB gamut to reduce the visible dithering?
* The new firmware removes the dithering with no relation to color gamut. We cannot answer in detail on the corrective actions.

rkhrt27,
Does this mean that we will never be able to buy an A01 new? We have to buy A00 and will only get an A01 if we go through one exchange?
* Never, not sure since it would be future speculation. Correct. That was the decision the Displays team decided on.

darkbringer,
Would it be possible to at least update firmware at carry-in service providers in Russia/Novosibirsk? Or maybe there is still some chance that Czech factory will start to manufacture new fixed units soon?
* No and No.

shuttershy,
All A00s that Dell has on-hand now will continue to be shipped until all stock is depleted.
* All New A00s will ship without the fix. All Used/Refurbished A00s will get the fix.
Anyone that receives an A00 and complains about the dithering issue can send it back for firmware upgrade to A01 at no cost (although i don't know if there's a time limit, and i'm not clear if people can start doing that as of right now).
* Correct. The time limit would be the duration of the warranty you purchased. Sometime in January.
Anyone that receives an A00 and does not complain... at least to someone in-the-know at Dell... will continue to lead an A00-filled life forever.
* Correct.
Once all new A00 stock is gone, the new A01s will begin shipping. This is what I'm waiting for, and since Chris said he doubts it will be before Christmas, it gives me hope that maybe it could be as soon as Jan or Feb.
* Not sure. I have emailed them.

The highlights of this monitor completely out shine the possible (but unlikely) drawbacks, especially since this is a 24" IPS monitor for $500 -- You complain about the high price, I dare you to find something comparable at this low price point.

In Europe we pay $951 USD (664 euro) for this monitor.
For that kind of money I expect a monitor without all those "flaws".

In Europe we pay $951 USD (664 euro) for this monitor.
For that kind of money I expect a monitor without all those "flaws".

Wow, that is expensive. You can almost get a NEC 2490WUXi for that here!

If I was paying a grand, then yes, I'd want perfection (or close to it as there is no such thing as a perfect monitor). Even the 2490 has flaws (input lag).

These quotes were copied from dell's forums, posted yesterday and today by a Dell representative. The answer to each question is preceded by an asterisk.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19307543.aspx?PageIndex=5
Do all of the new monitors currently being built have A01 now?
* No. This is a fix on fail rework. Only returned monitors will be fixed to A01.

Are new monitors that already have A00 being upgraded before they are sold?
* No. See above.

You ask why? Very few of our customer who purchase this monitor will ever see the Dithering issue, therefore, we only need to flash the ones that are returned for this issue. Those flashed monitors will then go out as replacements to customers who specifically complain about the Dithering.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19307543.aspx?PageIndex=6
Gecks,
Question still remains - how did Dell fix/address this in the *new* firmware? Is it truly a *fix* or has Dell simply expanded the RGB gamut to reduce the visible dithering?
* The new firmware removes the dithering with no relation to color gamut. We cannot answer in detail on the corrective actions.

rkhrt27,
Does this mean that we will never be able to buy an A01 new? We have to buy A00 and will only get an A01 if we go through one exchange?
* Never, not sure since it would be future speculation. Correct. That was the decision the Displays team decided on.

darkbringer,
Would it be possible to at least update firmware at carry-in service providers in Russia/Novosibirsk? Or maybe there is still some chance that Czech factory will start to manufacture new fixed units soon?
* No and No.

shuttershy,
All A00s that Dell has on-hand now will continue to be shipped until all stock is depleted.
* All New A00s will ship without the fix. All Used/Refurbished A00s will get the fix.
Anyone that receives an A00 and complains about the dithering issue can send it back for firmware upgrade to A01 at no cost (although i don't know if there's a time limit, and i'm not clear if people can start doing that as of right now).
* Correct. The time limit would be the duration of the warranty you purchased. Sometime in January.
Anyone that receives an A00 and does not complain... at least to someone in-the-know at Dell... will continue to lead an A00-filled life forever.
* Correct.
Once all new A00 stock is gone, the new A01s will begin shipping. This is what I'm waiting for, and since Chris said he doubts it will be before Christmas, it gives me hope that maybe it could be as soon as Jan or Feb.
* Not sure. I have emailed them.

I've been mildly following along. That is wack Dell! But, I have to give them credit for putting this information out there. That's very commendable, good communication there Dell.

My big question is, does the A01 firmware fix really fix the dithering issue?

I haven't seen any confirmation of that yet.

I've been mildly following along. That is wack Dell! But, I have to give them credit for putting this information out there. That's very commendable, good communication there Dell.

My big question is, does the A01 firmware fix really fix the dithering issue?

I haven't seen any confirmation of that yet.

Gecks,

This response from Chris M is pretty much all we have to go on. No one has a confirmed A01 unit as of yet that I've seen so no judgements can be made on the quality of the fix.

I can try it later if my final monitor still has problems. Just found 4 screws on the back. :)

That does not always work, as it can be bleeding THROUGH the actual panel and not AROUND it. I would NOT recommend disassembling this monitor, ESPECIALLY if it is under warranty or within the return period. I would either return until you get one you like or simply get a refund and buy a different monitor all together.

The newer models are held together with pretty fragile plastic hook-shaped snaps. Breaking one or more of these will make the cover not seat together properly and it will look like shit.

But it's your money, so if you want to piss it away, have at it.

I really wish I could stop agonizing over buying this monitor. Is there anything else on the horizon worth waiting for?

That does not always work, as it can be bleeding THROUGH the actual panel and not AROUND it. I would NOT recommend disassembling this monitor, ESPECIALLY if it is under warranty or within the return period. I would either return until you get one you like or simply get a refund and buy a different monitor all together.

The newer models are held together with pretty fragile plastic hook-shaped snaps. Breaking one or more of these will make the cover not seat together properly and it will look like shit.

But it's your money, so if you want to piss it away, have at it.

You're right, I know its not commendable to try it because of all that, but I could just to relieve my concern.

Well... unfortunately for everybody, except UPS business, I think I need to try another monitor.
Is there REALLY any U2410 without tinting and uniformity issues? What is the percentage of good ones? 5%? I don't really enjoy to keep swapping and returning monitors every day.
Monitor 3 in bluer and brighter on the right side and greener and darker on the left side. :eek:

You're right, I know its not commendable to try it because of all that, but I could just to relieve my concern.

Well... unfortunately for everybody, except UPS business, I think I need to try another monitor.
Is there REALLY any U2410 without tinting and uniformity issues? What is the percentage of good ones? 5%? I don't really enjoy to keep swapping and returning monitors every day.
Monitor 3 in bluer and brighter on the right side and greener and darker on the left side. :eek:

Mine is good in terms of tinting and uniformity issues...it's even and white.

I think with larger panels (24"+), you will probably always find some uniformity issues if you look hard enough. It's a limitation of the technology I think. For $500, you aren't going to get perfection. Even $1000 still isn't perfect.

Mine has no tinting issues at all and very good uniformity. I compared it to my friend's 26" DS, the U2410 has noticeably better uniformity, and better whites.

I believe the vast majority of U2410s do not have the tinting. It might seem like a lot do if you've been following this forum thread, but you have to consider that it's the user's who suffer from the tinting who are much more likely to be vocal about their experience with this monitor.

My U2410 doesn't have the tinting issues, as far as I can tell. I've been on the fence about returning it, but decided to send it back. I really love this monitor, but the dithering just drove me nuts.

I'm going to keep an eye on the dithering issue, and once it's fixed, I'll be ordering again ASAP.

My U2410 doesn't have the tinting issues, as far as I can tell. I've been on the fence about returning it, but decided to send it back. I really love this monitor, but the dithering just drove me nuts.

I'm going to keep an eye on the dithering issue, and once it's fixed, I'll be ordering again ASAP.

Why are the preset RGB modes so important to you? You can easily calibrate the monitor in Standard or Custom to be more accurate then the factory preset sRGB mode.

I'm really at a loss as to why the dithering in these presets is such a big deal to people...

I really wish I could stop agonizing over buying this monitor. Is there anything else on the horizon worth waiting for?

I hear ya! I've been agonizing over the decision to get a 24" IPS monitor for what seems like ages, but there is no word on any future monitors in this price range coming along. I think the only other alternative is the EA231WMi.

I first was going to get the HP LP2475W, but many people reported the LG QC issue with regard to poor color uniformity, and it also has no real standard gamut mode. But, HP seems to have a very lenient return policy and good customer support.

I decided to wait and see if the reports of firmware and color uniformity issues with the LP2475W improved.

Then Dell u2410 came along, but it has the same LG panel w/ the color uniformity problem as well. The u2410 has a decent standard gamut mode that might just be perfected with a (maybe) soon to be released firmware update that (maybe) fixes a known dithering problem. However, Dell now states that monitors with color uniformity issues are not their problem, and won't grant returns on that basis.

Screw that, Dell.

As much as I hate to go with a 16:9 monitor (cheap-ass panel makers!), I'm tempted to just go with the 23" NEC EA231WMi and save $170 bucks. The savings would more than cover an Eye-One Display LT. Am I wrong?

Ive been researching the f***** net for weeks and wanted to buy a good 24 monitor under 1000€. I thought the U2410 was a great choice at first, but this whole thread so turned me off. Im afraid i need to wait until next year. Either these issues are solved until then or i buy a new NEC PA241W which i hope will be the worthy successor of the 2490. Still thinking about a silver (and this turns me off) WUXI for about 700€ also.

What would you guys do ? Buying the U2410 now just seems like a wast of money and energy.. since its also 500€ here .. about 700$

So it sounds like Chris on the support boards is saying that Dell may never release brand new A01s. The only way to get an A01 may be to return your A00 and say the dithering bothers you, at which point they'll prompt you to send it back and swap it for an A01 refurb. Of course, if it's a refurb, there's a good chance it might've been sent back for tint issues that may or may not have been addressed by the time it makes its way to you. So if you're lucky enough to get a monitor without a bad tint off the bat, you'll have to think long and hard before sending it back to have the dithering corrected, because you could get back a tinted monitor... which Dell has stated does not count as a defect.

I think i may be ready to move on from the u2410 craziness as well. Not sure where to go from here though. Maybe revisit the HPs, or the NEC refurbs. Guess i'll be rereading the last 40 or so pages of this thread.

:confused: I was hoping the problems with this monitor would be fix by now but no luck. Now I wondering if I should wait until after christmas to buy one or just order it now and send it back the next day for the fix.

:confused: I was hoping the problems with this monitor would be fix by now but no luck. Now I wondering if I should wait until after christmas to buy one or just order it now and send it back the next day for the fix.

You don't send it in and get it back fixed, they send you someone else' refurbished monitor with the A01 firmware... Sounds like a pretty shitty fix for the problem on Dell's part.

Sending back, and getting a refurbished "tinted" monitor without dithering, is just NO solution. DELL what the hell are you doing here ?

I am a GFX artist and for me, and for other ppl which want to calibrate to sRGB and switch to full gamut only in cm apps, this mode is VERY important. It was a great PLUS, because color reproduction wise it was one of the first monitors with a very good sRGB and aRGB mode. (Check out the tftcentralreview)

These issues seriously spoil, what could be a very good monitor for a great price, this way its a waist of time and energy.

This sucks badly DELL..

My screen was perfect for the first two month, no tint, no dead or stuck pixels... In the last two weeks, I've been doing lots of gaming (Hooray for Holidays!) and my LCD developed 2 stuck pixels :mad:

It seems like when the LCD gets warm after a lot of stress gaming, stuck pixels start to appear:confused:

Why are the preset RGB modes so important to you? You can easily calibrate the monitor in Standard or Custom to be more accurate then the factory preset sRGB mode.

I'm really at a loss as to why the dithering in these presets is such a big deal to people...

Admittedly, it is a bit nitpicky. Perhaps I'm not very good at calibrating monitors, but I wasn't able to get the non-RGB modes all that close to the RGB modes. I'm using a Spyder 3 Express, which is better than my previous method (eyeballing it).

For me, it comes down to the fact that it bothers me, plain and simple. If I hadn't looked at the Lagom black level page, I probably wouldn't have noticed anything. But now that I'm aware of it, I see it all the time, and I find it annoying. I love everything else about this monitor, and I really hope they fix this so I can purchase another one.

I got an A00 in the mail about two weeks ago. I love the monitor, and while when I first turn the monitor on it has a greenish tint to the entire screen, it seems to go away after the monitor warms up in a minute or two.

Well this whole topic is not about being "nitpicky" its about, DELL not being able to actually fix the issues (even if they are not important to some) this monitor has, properly and letting the user buy a monitor without problems, which he deserves for his money. Their solution of handling the tint and dithering is just a joke. For me they are not "small" either as i need to work color aware.

What i do understand is that its a well prized monitor, but consider:

Here in europe its only 50€ less than a silver NEC 2490Wuxi, 650€ and thats way too much for receiving model with the issues above.

Trust me id love to buy this monitor, but this way i cant..

I'm considering U2410 as a home user, so I have a qestion, as I mainly use monitor for daily use and here and then Photoshop and Premiere but not profesionaly, would U2410 be a good choice for me, couse I don't really understand if dithering would bother me at all and as for tint leak I gues it would be a problem for averyone?
And what are the chances to get a good monitor just with dithering problem which I gues wouldn't bother me with every day work?

Back