Dell U2410

Wow, I'm stunned to see that jrnewquist ordered and received a u2410 in a short time. I ordered mine almost a month ago and since then, every 3-4 days, I get notified that it's delayed for another 3-4 days. I called Dell like three separate times and have not gotten anywhere as to why. Has anyone else had delays on their order?

Wow, I'm stunned to see that jrnewquist ordered and received a u2410 in a short time. I ordered mine almost a month ago and since then, every 3-4 days, I get notified that it's delayed for another 3-4 days. I called Dell like three separate times and have not gotten anywhere as to why. Has anyone else had delays on their order?

i ordered mine oct 10th, on the 11th i got a call from dell confirming i placed such an order and that there didnt seem to be any delay. On the 12th i received an email saying it would be delayed by 3-4 days. Then later that night i got another email telling me it was on its way. had the monitor in hand by the 16th. Shipped from TN.

im still contemplating returning this but i got a good one far as things go, slight pink or purple haze depending on the mode, but no variation in color uniformity from corner to corner / no color shifting, no dead pixels. Good viewing angle left to right This is my first wide gamut monitor.

Thanks for the response MrRoper. I'm going out of my mind with all the delays they're giving me, especially since I'm trying to replace another 24" that burned out. I've been stuck using an ancient 15" CRT. Man, it's crazy what's going on with my order. I'm thinking I might just cancel it and try ordering again. I live in NC, so I'm not even that far away, if it comes out of TN.

I'm currently using a Samsung 215tw (S-PVA panel). I love this monitor but wanted to upgrade to a larger and higher resolution 16:10 - 24" monitor. I notice the poor viewing angles on TN monitors and I'm sure the problem is only going to be exagerated with a larger monitor. I was going to get the Samsung 245T but it is now discontinued. When Dell annouced the U2410, it got me interested as it is an IPS panel.

I finally decided to order the U2410 while on sale, and got it approx. one week later (yesterday).

Unpackaging the unit was pleasant. Overall, nice impression with the feel and substance of this monitor. Nice stand and fully adjustable.

When first turning it on, my initial impression was not good. I have the uniformity shading issue. The left side is green and the right is pink. The shades are almost divided in the center. As you move more to the right, it becomes more obvious. The pink on white backgroud is really obvious and seems to affect the overall image more than the green tint. I believe if the whole monitor was shaded green, you could easily tweak.

Another thing I noticed is that text is not sharp as what is should be. I can also see the grain. Maybe the grain from the anti-reflective coating is the cause of the lack of sharpness like some other people have said. I also wear glasses and someone said they had more issues with the image while wearing glasses.

I might be able to settle with the graininess but the panel uniformity is a deal killer. You can view Dell's own webpage forum on this topic where someone is complaining about the color uneveness and see this issue on my new monitor just viewing this web page. For an IPS screen, how can this be acceptable? People are looking to IPS to get proffessional results. If you are doing any color work and two parts of the screen are different colors, this is unacceptable. I mind as well have bought a TN panel and have achieved better results.

In the end, I'm not going to even try for an exchange. It's too much of a hassle if I get the same problem. I'm returning it to Dell. I don't think I have any dead pixels but probably could accept one if it was not dead center. The color uniformity to me is most bothersome. I think the quality variance is too great on these LG manufactured IPS panels. Too many people have complained about it and I wonder if it is widespread. Instead, I'm going to get a 24" Samsung S-PVA monitor when they release the new models soon. I have read that they should be here in the fall but haven't seen anything concrete yet.

I also have the Samsung 215tw and love it. When searching for a 24" the u2410 got my interest but read so many bad things about it that I never bothered to order it. I will be ordering the NEC 2490WUXI though.

This thread has convinced me to sell my 2407wfp-HC and get a pair of TN monitors.

These expensive PVA and IPS are far too overpriced to ignore their drawbacks, especially for a gamer. Supposedly the NEC 2490 has solved the response time issue, but $1100? Come the eff on.

I received my 3rd U2410 from Dell today. They sent me a brand new unit instead of a reconditioned one.

There is no dead or stuck pixel on this one. But panel uniformity is back to the first unit I received. Left side has green tint and right side has pink tint. I'd prefer if the whole screen is like that of the right side.

At this point, I'm not going to ask Dell for anymore replacement as I have to accept the fact that US$480 can only buy so much of a 24" LCD monitor. The closer to perfect ones are asking for twice as much as the U2410.

I think $529 is way to much for a monitor that has so much going wrong with it. I just got a 2490wuxi for $685 sure it's reconditioned by NEC but it has a 1 year warranty and the person I bought it from has taken it out of the box and check it all over and said it's perfect, absotutely no flaws. How much better can that get,a seller who has been a commercial photographer for 25 years and checks them out before he sells. If he finds a bad pixel or what ever he prices them accordingly and tells you about the problem. If they have to many flaws he sends them back NEC for a replacement. He gives you the serial# of the unit he's sending you and a NEC phone# so you can call and verify that it has been recondition by them and that they will warranty it.

Yeah its pretty much on any black background. This also has tons of backlight bleed. Also their is about 3 other places where those red blotches appear. How does the Dell Advanced replacement work? Do they send a monitor out to you overnight and then you send the bad one back?

Yeah its pretty much on any black background. This also has tons of backlight bleed. Also their is about 3 other places where those red blotches appear. How does the Dell Advanced replacement work? Do they send a monitor out to you overnight and then you send the bad one back?

Yes. Im still waiting for mine...they sent mine to the wrong address, dont ask how. Instead of just sending me a new one, and picking up the other...they are picking up the other one, then bringing it to me.

wow, those red blotches look hideous. The 2209wa batches of Dells fared better in QC than the U2410's.

It should be the other way around, the U2410's should not leave the factory unless they are tested properly.

This is unacceptable for a monitor of this calibre. I Hear alot of complaints from buyers of U2410 even more so than buyers of the the 2209wa, I received mine over a week ago and it is perfect with no issues whatsoever.

I did the research like I normally do with anything of this level of purchase. I read as much as I could. TFT Central said it was good as well as some other reviews. There were, however, some not so good things said from other people -- especially this site.

With all of the problems being reported, I wasn't going to buy. But when Dell put the U2410 on sale, this pushed me over the fence.

I just want to point out that I didn't discover this thread after a bad purchase. I didn't know if I was going to get a good or bad unit. What would the chances be to get a bad product of anything. At any rate, Dell has good customer service.

When I got a bad U2410, I thought this has to be a common problem. This is disappointing.

Last edited:
Just a quick update: I've decided to keep the monitor. Ran through a gamut of games over the last week (Crysis, BatmanAA, Mirror's Edge, Witcher, HL2, TF2, Assassin's Creed, Dead Space, Oblivion, GRAW1+2, and Raven Shield), used it for office productivity, and checked out some movies and I'm satisfied with it.

The small issues I had with it I've deemed acceptable. Good hunting to anyone still on the fence.

Just a quick update: I've decided to keep the monitor. Ran through a gamut of games over the last week (Crysis, BatmanAA, Mirror's Edge, Witcher, HL2, TF2, Assassin's Creed, Dead Space, Oblivion, GRAW1+2, and Raven Shield), used it for office productivity, and checked out some movies and I'm satisfied with it.

The small issues I had with it I've deemed acceptable. Good hunting to anyone still on the fence.

What issues were you having with it? Tint issues?

with a good calibration tool like the gretag or spyder 3 you should be able to fix the colour discrepancy.

Give it a shot.

with a good calibration tool like the gretag or spyder 3 you should be able to fix the colour discrepancy.

Give it a shot.

Well, in my case...the color discrepancy is a tint that fades from green to pink. If this was all one color, i could see how calibration could solve this probably. But unfortunately there is no way to calibrate "parts" of the screen.

I know someone else has already mentioned it, but just in case anyone missed it.. Dell is asking anyone that has gotten an U2410 with the Green/Pink Tint issue to this thread in their Community forum-

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19297120.aspx?PageIndex=4

This is what the Dell rep said-

If you have one in your hands that has the Green/Pink Tint issue, I need to capture it. So, send me the following information and we will reach out to your region to setup an exchange and capture your current monitor. Understand, the replacement will not be a new revision, we just need the captures to prove to the manufacturer that they indeed do have an issue.

Hey folks,

Well I went out and bought a Samsung XL2370 to replace a 2002 era Viewsonic MVA display. My first reaction was "Wow, these colors are washed out". I messed around with the settings and I think I can live with it, but I do still notice the color difference and the viewing angles are pretty poor.

So I've been reading this thread about the U2410 and I'm tempted to grab one and take the Samsung back. Here's what I'll use it for:

-Some amateur graphics work (nothing serious)
-Some video editing (not pro)
-Games
-Office apps/VPN
-Some web design & development (coding and web pages)

So anyone have any thoughts? I've got about 3 more weeks until I have to return the Samsung for a full refund.

Hey folks,

Well I went out and bought a Samsung XL2370 to replace a 2002 era Viewsonic MVA display. My first reaction was "Wow, these colors are washed out". I messed around with the settings and I think I can live with it, but I do still notice the color difference and the viewing angles are pretty poor.

So I've been reading this thread about the U2410 and I'm tempted to grab one and take the Samsung back. Here's what I'll use it for:

-Some amateur graphics work (nothing serious)
-Some video editing (not pro)
-Games
-Office apps/VPN
-Some web design & development (coding and web pages)

So anyone have any thoughts? I've got about 3 more weeks until I have to return the Samsung for a full refund.

I would definitely go for it. I mean, for me...other than a stuck pixel I COULD live with the green/pink tint issue. Luckily I am getting a replacement as we speak to take care of the pixel, maybe ill be lucky and get a more uniform screen. If not, it might not be worth the hassle with trying for another one.

Jim

I continue to be amazed at just how horrible LG's quality control is. Cable companies have a better record of success and that's bad.

I was looking at the U2410, but based on the reviews and all these pink/green issues, I decided to go with the HP LP2475w instead. Saved me tons of money too, because I couldn't find the U2410 on sale anywhere except Dell.com where they also charge sales tax almost everywhere. I should also get better contrast, and the same kind of LG H-IPS screen except without all the screen tinting issues. I would suggest the LP2475w for anyone looking at the U2410 right now. Granted, I haven't received mine yet, but all those glowing Newegg reviews can't all be wrong.

I was looking at the U2410, but based on the reviews and all these pink/green issues, I decided to go with the HP LP2475w instead. Saved me tons of money too, because I couldn't find the U2410 on sale anywhere except Dell.com where they also charge sales tax almost everywhere. I should also get better contrast, and the same kind of LG H-IPS screen except without all the screen tinting issues. I would suggest the LP2475w for anyone looking at the U2410 right now. Granted, I haven't received mine yet, but all those glowing Newegg reviews can't all be wrong.

Without having look at both monitors you can not make a decision here. Anyway tinting issue is not native for U2410. You can find tint issue on most of the brand in the market today. But not all the monitors have this problem. I have two U2410 and one has no any tint and the backlight uniformity is also good. Also note that HP is wide gamut. Personal i dnt know how HP goes since i never had that one. But U2410 is a great monitor if you can deal with grainy effect.

But U2410 is a great monitor if you can deal with grainy effect.

About a year ago I purchased 2 DELL 2007FP's, both having an IPS panel and in my opinion are AMAZING monitors. When i first got them I was really disturbed by the "graininess" effect. But I have to tell you, after using them for a year, it has totally disappeared. Its not gone, i just mean i am so used to it i don't even notice it anymore. And after using "non grainy" screens at work, I can say that I actually prefer my "grainy" monitors at home!

Jim

Got the same red/green tint issue on my Lg W2600HP-BF, its on rep now and i got info that they are changing the Lcd mainboard, hope that it will solve the issue for me.

Anyone has close-up pictures of the grainy effect of the U2410? I don't if its very noticeable compared to a CRT.

Anyone has close-up pictures of the grainy effect of the U2410? I don't if its very noticeable compared to a CRT.

The screen picture is not so much grainy (unless your in sRGB or AdobeRGB mode on a very dark image) but its more of an "anti-reflective" coating that they put on the monitor that causes it to look like there are little crystals on the screen. I dont know if a camera would be able to pick it up well, but, i haven't tried.

Jim

The grains have nothing to do with color space. It comes from AG coating. Its not possible to capture on a camera. It makes white/bright backgrounds little dirty. In other word its like a JPG image if you over compress, you see something like blocky sparkly look. Note that its noticeable in light backgrounds. For me its heavy and drives me nut.

The grains have nothing to do with color space. It comes from AG coating. Its not possible to capture on a camera. It makes white/bright backgrounds little dirty. In other word its like a JPG image if you over compress, you see something like blocky sparkly look. Note that its noticeable in light backgrounds. For me its heavy and drives me nut.

I would also like to know more about this graininess. I wonder whether it would bother me. My old TFT has a "soft" coating I guess (although I don't really know).

Is the graininess always visible or does it show up when light is reflected on the screen? I've read that the effect more or less disappears when you sit further away. Some say it makes text look "dirty". Can anyone give a more detailed description?

From my limited experience I think all LCD monitors with anti-reflective coating have this grainy effect, and I think its not a serious issue. But if you tend to focus on that instead of what's is being displayed on the screen it might drive you nuts.

One might try a radical approach and polish the screen to flat shiny. ;)

Ok now what's in the wish list to send to Dell for the new U2410 revision?

• Less grainy anti glare (anti reflective) coating;
  • Solve green to pink tint issue;
  • Solve dithering problems;
  • Improve screen lag;
  • Add dynamic contrast option to multimedia and game modes.
  • etc

From my limited experience I think all LCD monitors with anti-reflective coating have this grainy effect, and I think its not a serious issue. But if you tend to focus on that instead of what's is being displayed on the screen it might drive you nuts.

One might try a radical approach and polish the screen to flat shiny. ;)

Ok now what's in the wish list to send to Dell for the new U2410 revision?

• Less grainy anti glare (anti reflective) coating;
  • Solve green to pink tint issue;
  • Solve dithering problems;
  • Improve screen lag;
  • Add dynamic contrast option to multimedia and game modes.
  • etc

False. Even almost every matte monitor comes with AG coating, the grainy look is different may be depending on the thickness of the coating or something like that. My dell 2408wfp has very little grainy look and 2490wuxi has little. But U2410 has the worst grainy look i have ever seen :mad:

According to you even tint and backlight uniformity (basically anything) can be neglected if you are not focusing on it. But, remember the point is you are spending almost $600 on this monitor. Again, this is my personal experience and it depends on person.

Thats good to hear becuase I remember reading the thread about the HP when it came out and was disappointed with the tint issues. Hopefully the slight tint I have will go away after a few months.

Back