• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dell U2313HM or U2413HM @ 1080p ?

mr-freeman

n00b
Joined
Oct 7, 2012
Messages
38
Sorry if this has been asked a gazillion times, but I'm only seeing info on the 27-inch models @ 2560x1440. This res is waaayy too high for my graphics card, so I would need 1080p preferably (for games). I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting a 23 or 24 inch model at 1080p resolution. I am actually tempted by the 27-inch model, but it's a bit pricey and as I said my card can't handle it.

Dell, please if you are reading this, please make the 23 or 24 inch version IDENTICAL in every other way to the 27 inch version i.e. 8-bit colour depth, AH-IPS panel, light anti-glare coating, no PWM etc. Thx :)
 
Last edited:
Hi, thx, no that's last year's model with a heavier anti-glare coating I think. I've been waiting for ages for a decent PC monitor with a more tv-like appearance in terms of color vibrancy, but not a glossy screen which is too reflective. I'm hoping the newer Dells meet that need, however it seems there is a trend for bigger screens and higher resolutions, so I hope they don't phase out the smaller models.

On a side note, I notice the new tv range announced by Panasonic for 2013 doesn't mention a 37-inch model, only 39! Sheesh, bigger and more expensive is the way it's going...
 
Are the 2412M and 2410 glossy screens? My understanding was that they were not glossy; I was looking to upgrade soon and do not want a glossy screen.

Also, why would you want the new years model, aren't these two just as capable as the current 27" screens? The specs seem to be identical.
 
The newer models have an AH-IPS panel which (apparently) is better in terms of colours and clarity, but I haven't actually seen for myself in person. I have an older Dell U2311H, which although it has been excellent for 2 years (no dead pixels, no ghosting, no motion blur, no tint, no clouding, no PWM, no flicker etc. etc.), I do feel the colours are a bit dull at times and movies/videos just lack that punch or cinema-like wow-factor. It's almost like you're looking through a slightly hazy window all the time. It's not terrible, in fact some games look alot better than others, but it's not ideal. However, using the internet is probably better due to less eye-strain from glare. So I will definitely keep this monitor alongside any other monitor I decide to get.

Oh and the U2410 (and the other wide gamut models), I presume are worse for gaming with higher input lag/response time? I don't think they're really suitable for my non-professional needs lol!
 
No, they're not. And they've got bad/strong AG. Hence the request for a 1920 x 1200 display with good AG (like the new 27" displays).

I had never even heard about Anti-glare and the difference it can make on a monitor. I assumed these 24" models were extremely comparable.

Can anyone with more knowledge weigh-in ? Why does Dell make new 27" models with better "anti-glare" - and what constitutes a better anti-glare anyway?

I just know Glossy/non-Glossy, preferring the later.

I also don't know about the advantages of AH-IPS, so I'm clearly just behind the times when it comes to displays...
 
I'm interested too, has anyone actually got a newer AH-IPS screen and do you notice a difference compared to older models? I wonder if it's enough of a difference to actually justify the cost. And also how does this newer panel compare to current TV's for example when watching movies/videos? I need to buy a new tv as the old one died, but I 'm waiting to see what models come out and how the new games consoles (new xbox/ps4) will fit in. I'm torn between a new monitor or new tv. So many tech things happening this year, it's hard to keep up!
 
TVs almost all look the same to me, their resolutions remain the same, and the panels are all of comparable quality? I also don't like 3D or 120 hz tech, but maybe I'm a noob.
 
I will say that the U2312HM is great for gaming. With 1080p you won't have any issues that you may run into with 1200p. The extra pixels are nice, I have a 16:10 monitor as well but the HUD sometimes doesn't feel right. Anyway, it has great IPS color, good depth, much better clarity than TN, so I'm happy with my purchase. There is a coating for sure and with contacts I've got perfect vision and I've gotten used to it even on white backgrounds. Only issue is IPS glow but TN panels look worse with every color not just black. The U2312HM has very low latency and essentially non-existent input lag.
 
I hope any U2314HM or U2414M will be AH-IPS, retina displays at 2560x1440 and 2560x1600 respectively, with support for at least 90Hz. And I hope they will fix the bleeding issues, and actually increase the contrast to around 1200:1. In most reviews, the discontinued 2010 model U2311H is known to have reached 1000:1, much better than the newer models. This is unacceptable, to release new products with worse quality.

One can dream... I hope my trusty U2311H lasts until OLED displays become affordable.
 
Back
Top