Dell U2311H vs HP ZR24w

Parasite

n00b
I live in Iceland so I don't have a very wide range of monitors to choose from and I'm set on getting a IPS panel. I will mostly be gaming, watching movies, surfing the web and some programming.

The Dell is 59900kr which = $525 and the HP is 79900kr which = $700

So which one do you think is better considering price, performance and how i will most likely use it?

U2311H

ZR24W contrast is really poor.
contrast_comparison.jpg

At those prices, ZR24w is a better value IMO. An inch larger and more importantly 16:10 with higher vertical resolution making it much more suitable for work and just as good as the Dell for games. It also has better viewing angles, better panel uniformity, possibly better QC and is a true 8-bit panel while the blacks on the U2311H are a bit deeper and I believe it has better responsiveness. Neither have high input lag. It all depends on your preference really.

175$ more for 1" and wider viewing angles, grey blacks and slower response time is worth it? Serisouly....

Who plays games from 45 degrees off angle....

This 8 bit shit needs to stop, because that what it is. No one actually stares at full screen greys and lagom tests all day to find dithering. It is 100% irrelevant for 99% of users who aren't doing serious photo work. It is hardly an issue on TN any more either.

Normally the hp is cheaper. The hp is the better choice. Think they both use lg panels though. Maybe some of the display gurus can chip in

Op dont you have the ViewSonic VP2365wb over there as well?

Last edited:
175$ more for 1" and wider viewing angles, grey blacks and slower response time is worth it? Serisouly....
Yes, seriously. Have you ever seen either of these monitors in person? I have seen both and I even paid 1.5x the price of the Dell for the HP because I thought it was worth it. You are greatly exaggerating the difference in black levels in my opinion. It's the 16:10 aspect ratio, bigger resolution and better panel uniformity that made all the difference to me. Slightly better viewing angles, and extra inch and 8 bit panel is just a bonus. Not saying it's worth it for the OP as well, just sharing my impressions.

Who plays games from 45 degrees off angle....
Total BS and you know it. Even the ZR24w could actually do with better viewing angles as some IPS panels do better.

Glad you like your panel and can't tell the difference between good and bad image quality

Viewing angles are good enough on the U2311H, no one sits 45 degrees+ off angle and plays games or stands up looking down, no one is that stupid.

8 bit vs 6 bit does not matter, stop trying to spread this shit because you like your monitor. All it does is confuse and mislead people into thinking somehting is way better when it is not.

Untill we found about the e-ips panels being 6 bit no one said anything, no one took any issue, no one tried to spread this shit constantly.

QC sucks for both monitors, so when choosing from shit having an extra inch over gaming/movie performance and black levels really shouldnt be a difficult decision.

Last edited:
Have you ever seen either of these monitors in person?

Didn't think so. Instead of relying solely on CR numbers to determine the image quality I actually do have experience with both monitors and do take other "unimportant" factors into account like panel uniformity and the effect of the viewing angles for centered viewing. And yet I'm the one "spreading shit" and confusing people :rolleyes:

Viewing angles are good enough on the U2311H, no one sits 45 degrees+ off angle and plays games or stands up looking down, no one is that stupid.

As I wrote earlier, sitting with your upper body in front of the monitor doesn't mean much.

If I position myself with my head 50-55 cm from my 22 inch monitor (yes, "in front of it", actually, one of my eyes are in front of the upper right corner), there seems to be an angle of 40 to 50 degrees between the top and bottom. Can't tell precisely, since I only have two arms and am not able to hold the pencils I use for measuring completely steady...

What about VA Led displays?

can get the Benq EW2420 http://benq.is/products/LCD/index.cfm/product/1200 for 49900kr which = $440

Is that a viable option?

They have superb black levels together with Samsung's cPVA panel (found in F2380, Eizo EV2333 etc.), but the viewing angles are crappy.

Here are some reviews

http://www.konsumentguiden.se/dator...0-p-7257cfcc-9218-5a59-19a6-dda53e29803a.html

TFT Central's reviews is not there though
Looks craptastic on these photos :( Maybe it's an image with an extra challenging colour combination? :p
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/benq_ew2420/P1050145_small.JPG
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/benq_ew2420/P1050151_small.JPG
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/benq_ew2420/P1050154_small.JPG

Last edited:
Well i have started to lean towards getting the Dell as it is cheaper and it will no doubt be a huge upgrade over my Acer AL2016W I'm using atm.

Dell will definitely beat almost any TN/older IPS monitor so unless someone was downgrading from a more expensive IPS its a good monitor. I had an Asus VW266H which was one of the best TNs and 1920x1200 before I got the dell. I ran them side by side for a long time and really could never tell the response time difference, but the lost pixels were noticeable, still worth giving up for the benefits of the dell though.

I think the HP is slightly better, but I ended up buying the dell because it was like 60% the cost and 90-95% of the value.

Didn't think so. Instead of relying solely on CR numbers to determine the image quality I actually do have experience with both monitors and do take other "unimportant" factors into account like panel uniformity and the effect of the viewing angles for centered viewing. And yet I'm the one "spreading shit" and confusing people :rolleyes:

Being able to sit at some retarded angle/distance is not important vs image quality and response time for any one with a brain.

The only thing the HP really has over the dell is size, that is it. It is science, and fact that the Dell will look better, don't need to own the stupid things to come to this conclusion.

I calibrate displays, I know what medicore image quality looks like, cool you don't and like your monitor, have fun.

Stop spreading this 8 bit and better viewing angle garbage. No one with a brain thinks they need to sit 45 degrees off angle or stand up while playing games.

Last edited:
The Dell is nowhere worth a $525 price tag what-so-ever and neither is the ZR24W worth $700. Far from. I know everything about the financial status in Iceland and all, but i would probably consider importing one - maybe a lightly used one instead. If this is possible of course.

The 6 bit vs. 8 bit discussion is ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as the variance in costrast measurements between review sites of many of the monitors TFTCentral also measured or rather - not quite successfully managed to calibrate.
If the Dell is indeed 6 bit+FRC it would be noticeable, but whether it is bothersome of not is another matter. This matter is not something one should be told to stop spreading, when at the same time, the U2311H is recommended up to the level of the "do-it-all monitor". Especially not to be told by someone who has seen neither of the displays in question.

Last edited:
Being able to sit at some retarded angle/distance is not important vs image quality and response time for any one with a brain.
Except never once did I mention anything about sitting at some "retarded" angle or anything like that. Sure, the viewing angles are unimportant to you. I guess IPS glow is fine with you too, it's not like it is a viewing angle related problem or anything :rolleyes:

I calibrate displays, I know what medicore image quality looks like, cool you don't and like your monitor, have fun.

Stop spreading this 8 bit and better viewing angle garbage. No one with a brain thinks they need to sit 45 degrees off angle or stand up while playing games.
Sure you do. You equate image quality with measured CR numbers and nothing else. You don't care about screen uniformity, you don't care about the color and gamma shift and you always assume everyone has the same preferences that you do. I've seen you giving perfect scores for colors of a TN panel and the fact that you keep coming up with this "sitting at retarded angles" nonsense tells me all I need to know.

What about the NEC EA231WMi or the NEC EA232WMi, can get the 231 for the same price as the ZR24w and the 232 is around $600, are either of them worth it?

viewing angles are important. very important. especially if you rotate your display to use in portrait mode, or have multi displays at different angles. plus when you're standing up near the desk and pointing out something to other people. it's crucial man

So i have ordered the Dell, but i was wondering if it would be worth it getting 2x 23"/24" TN panels and go eyefinity with the U2311h in the middle? And btw i can't get 2 more U2311h's as they are rather expensive here.

What about VA Led displays?

can get the Benq EW2420 http://benq.is/products/LCD/index.cfm/product/1200 for 49900kr which = $440

Is that a viable option?

Viewing angles are really really bad on this display vs the ZR24w. I bought one of these on ebay for around $179? to try against my ZR24w and hated it immediately. No amount of calibration could bring it close to the image I saw on my ZR24w, so I gave it to my father, who of course loves it ;)

I just couldn't get used to them when I was so used to the near perfect color uniformity on my ZR24w. There was still some serious gamma shift when sitting right in front of the EW2420, which you won't see at all on an IPS panel.

Just wasn't my cup of tea. I'm sure there are some good *VA panels out there but this really isn't one of them if viewing angles are important to you.

I personally haven't seen the U2311h but if I was choosing between the two I would definitely pick the U2311h this time around based on contrast alone. The ZR24w has very poor blacks :(

i don't see any sing what would indicate that u2311 is better than zr24w, its CHEAPER, if that's what you want to say, but certainly not better, the only question is, is those differences worth paying extra price,for some yes , for some no, taste is not debatable.
The Dell is better in some ways. Blacks are indeed deeper, it is visible, just not anywhere near to the extent that NCX is saying. It is also supposed to be more responsive and better for motion although I feel even the HP is fast enough for most people. Also, in some countries the Dell costs literally half as much as the HP, that's crazy. In OP's case, the HP is only around 30% more expensive and for the reasons I mentioned, is a better value for money in my opinion even if both cost way too much. I paid 1.5x the price of the U2311H for mine and I'm happy with the decision. Uniformity on the Dell sucks and that's not even accounting the tinting issues that the Dell from what I have seen is more prone to. But yeah, it really is a matter of taste and preference. Neither of the choices here are automatically wrong or right.

I live in Iceland so I don't have a very wide range of monitors to choose from and I'm set on getting a IPS panel. I will mostly be gaming, watching movies, surfing the web and some programming.

The Dell is 59900kr which = $525 and the HP is 79900kr which = $700

So which one do you think is better considering price, performance and how i will most likely use it?

U2311H.

I actually own ZR24w but the contrast is so poor that it is almost useless for gaming and especially movies.

Walker keeps trying to say the HP ZR24W has some uniformity advantange, it doesn't you take equal chance when buying the low end LG IPS panels.
What I'm saying is that the HP has better uniformity by design. Some monitors will never have good uniformity, no matter now many times you return them.

NCX, reason why the LCD-industry is so messed up, is exactly because of this kind of consumer attitude what you're demonstrating, i.e. ahh who cares about viewing angles, who cares about colors, who cares about the picture quality etc.

manufactures are exploiting this attitude by cutting corners and lowering the standards, there's simply no pressure from consumers what would force manufactures to invest more time,brains and money into technology, and that all have bring us to the point where you have to spend literally thousands of dollars/euros to get a decent crt replacement.

because lets face it,if you look computer monitor as an object what displays images, then you can see that there's hasn't been any real progress in overall image quality, in a whole god damn DECADE, and its all because nobody cares about the image quality.
agreed 100%. there needs to be more transparency in the industry, as you have to look very deep to get any real answers. when i shop for a display the only thing i want to know about is its panel, who makes it and what are its exact specs. but consumers are on their own.

I have the ZR24W, had my friend buy the U2311H.

The U2311h definately has a better picture. Personally I find the extra 120 rows of pixels to be important enough to sacrifice money and quality for. But that's a tradeoff not everyone is willing to make.

When I recommend to friends now I ask if they're willing to pay a price premium for x1200. Most all of them aren't, so I recommend the U2311h. The ones that are, are the ones like me, that were coming from 1600x1200 and didn't want to downgrade.

I'd go w/ the ZR24w. Even though it's only 1" larger, side by side, the 16:10 aspect ratio gives you a lot more space. Personally, I find 23" 16:9 monitors to be narrow, and that's especially true if you use them in portrait mode for whatever reason.

after going through 4 U2311s that were all defective in some sort, I'd advise against them, unless you feel like going back and forth with Dell, the one I got that had a good panel, wouldn't power on properly in portrait mode :) good fight Dell, returning all 3.

I've owned both and went with the ZR24W. The Dell had better blacks and felt better for gaming but it wasn't very uniform at all and also died after a few days. I got a ZR24W after that and still have it. Blacks are indeed a little weaker but the color is good and overall everything looks more uniform across the screen. It's also bigger to boot which comes in handy for a lot of things.

Also try to get a friend stateside to buy one and ship it to you. I got my ZR24W for around $330.

Back