Dell U2311H or Dell 2209WA?

Oranav

n00b
Hi.

So, after 5 years with my LG F900P,
I've decided that it's time to replace it. ;)

I use my monitor mostly for office work, multimedia (movies and such), and a little bit of gaming. (Say 60% office, 35% multimedia and 5% gaming)

My budget is around 400$ (which is around 1500 NIS), but I'd like to get a monitor for less than my whole budget.

I can get the Dell U2311H for about 360$, and the Dell 2209WA for about 300$. (Yeah, I know, things in Israel are pricey. :p)
The U2311H is 23" and it's FHD but it suffers from viewing angle issues. The 2209WA is cheaper, but it's smaller (and has a lower resolution).

Which of them should I get?

Thanks! :)

I wouldn't gamble with the 2209WA. It seems most of the displays whine like hell.

You have to keep in mind, when discussing the viewing angle, the u2211h and u2311h have bad viewing angles compared to other ips screens like the 2209wa, not typical TNs for instance. From what I understand (though someone with both would have to compare) the viewing angle difference is only noticeable at 40-45 degrees horizontal and 30-35 degrees vertically, it isn't bad in the sense the screen is already off color at the edges even when viewing head on (like a TN).

The u2311 has slightly better out of box colors, higher contrast, more efficient and the higher resolution. While the 2209wa is more responsive, slightly larger screen area, more productivity oriented aspect ratio (16:10) and the better viewing angles.

Overall, the u2311 would be better for multimedia and the 2209wa better for office. Gaming would be a subjective depending on sources and personal preference.

Thank you all. Currently, I think I'd go for the U2311H.

The thing I most care about, is the color depth and accuracy of the screen. That's the primary reason why I won't buy a TN screen.
A larger resolution would also be nice. I don't really care for dot pitch, as long as it isn't extremely small. Viewing angles are more important to me, but if they are more like IPS angles (and less like TN angles), it's fine for me.
Whining, on the other hand, would be a bigger issue.

The u2311 has slightly better out of box colors, higher contrast, more efficient and the higher resolution. While the 2209wa is more responsive, slightly larger screen area, more productivity oriented aspect ratio (16:10) and the better viewing angles.

What do you mean? Does the 2209WA have a larger physical screen size compared to the U2311H?
If so, the 23-inch feature of the U2311H isn't an advantage at all.

By the way, what about the LG W2220P and the Samsung F2380?

Thanks again! :)

The 2209wa has a taller screen than the 2311, but overall the 2311 has a larger screen area.

What do you mean? Does the 2209WA have a larger physical screen size compared to the U2311H?
If so, the 23-inch feature of the U2311H isn't an advantage at all.

By the way, what about the LG W2220P and the Samsung F2380?

Thanks again! :)

Sorry made a bit of combined math/reading error when mentioning error. The u2311h has the slightly larger screen area. However you will mostly notice this on multimedia and games (if you do 16:9 gaming), as the display area for 16:9 or wider content is significantly bigger. I feel though that the u2311h spec wise is the best all rounder monitor at its price range at the moment, but you should read the u2311h thread to get some ownership experiences, as it does suffer from certain issues in regards to quality control.

I tried the F2380MX (there is a large thread about this and the F2380) which is an updated version of the F2380. The F2380 from what people have said although it has higher contrast and much deeper blacks, it suffers from "black crush" causing it to lack detail in dark areas. I didn't notice this on the F2380MX however, as it is updated to improve on this issue. The main problem I had with it however was that the response was too inconsistent, it performed badly for certain color transitions which I did not like for certain games and even general use scenarios, although your thoughts might vary since you don't do much gaming on your screen. Even though both are rated at 8ms, the F2380 would be noticeably slower for certain transitions. I'm not really intolerant of slower screens either, as I find a 5ms TN or 2ms TN with overdrive off fine by comparison (its noticeable, but no longer bothering me).

I can't say anything about the LG, as I have no experience with it.

If you are talking about very high viewing angles though, I believe you'd have to go with a higher end IPS that uses a AW Polarizer. Otherwise IPS and CVA panels both do suffer from issues at high angles, even though they are significantly better then TNs.

Okay, thanks. One last thing - is the 60$ difference between the U2311H and the 2209WA worth it?
(For a higher resolution and a larger screen area.)

Yes we are talking 600:1 contrast on the 2209wa which is medicore vs the Dell U2311's almost 900:1. Black will appear grey on the 2209wa, side by side the U2311 would destroy the 2209wa. If you are watching movies go with the U2311 10x over.

Here I will try to demonstrate the difference

Movie on the U2410 which has nearly identical contrast to the 2209wa (From Prad.de)

3544c39da02059ee.jpg

TN with 0.13 black depth (Same as U2311)
constnatineacer003.jpg

Washed out >0.18cd/m2 black depth
lgw2361v024.jpg

Last edited:
For office work a monitor with 1920x1200 resolution would be best.
The more vertical resolution the better.
Another option is to get a montior that can flip to portrait mode.
I can read a LOT more in portrait mode than landscape mode.

Back