Dell U2212HM

This poor thread got ignored compared to its big brothers.

Has anyone picked up any of these yet? It will likely be a while before any professional reviews, and was curious if they are similar or different to its 23 and 24 inch cousins.

Trying to decide between the three monitors (mostly the 22 and the 24) for Eyefinity at the moment.

I'm looking around also, not sure if I can go back to 21/22" from 24" though..

Hah, I'd be going from a 27" myself. But I'm looking at three of them, which in portrait Eyefinity are even larger of a screen than what I have now. Three 24" are even more massive, it's like a 48" monitor.

Hah, I'd be going from a 27" myself. But I'm looking at three of them, which in portrait Eyefinity are even larger of a screen than what I have now. Three 24" are even more massive, it's like a 48" monitor.

Yeah, not sure I'd do portrait but I'd like to have the option to do so.

If anyone has actually bought one of these and has it, please let me know. I'm trying to decide between the 22 and 23, but the physical measurements on Dell's site for the 22 are incorrect (it just has the U2312HM's dimensions in one place, and a different set in another). I'm trying to find out the actual physical size of the screen + bezel, without the stand.

I am also wondering if the backlight bleeding issues have been resolved in this revision.

If anyone has already ordered one of these, please share your experiences!

Thanks,
nullstring

TFTcentral review is out apparently, but they've decided you have to pay for them starting now, or wait a month.

Really really frustrated at that, they were the only site I know of who has actually measured the U2212HM (maybe prad.de too? but also a paysite) and I was looking to pick up a few of these around black Friday if the review turned up good.

Stupid thing said the review was "Coming Soon" for almost 1.5 months and then finally decides you need to drop some cash for it. If anyone else is interested enough to pay for the PDF, will you let us know some of the key points? Mostly interested in calibrated delta/brightness/black point, backlight uniformity/bleed, and response time/input delay.

Last edited:
If anyone else is interested enough to pay for the PDF, will you let us know some of the key points? Mostly interested in calibrated delta/brightness/black point, backlight uniformity/bleed, and response time/input delay.

If you say please then perhaps.... ;)

I am not giving exact numbers as you should support TFT Central. It only cost me 1.97GBP for the privilege.....support them :)

I read the review. It's basically the same as the HP ZR2240w. dE calibrated to same as last years U2211H. Black depth same as HP ZR2240w, Contrast ratio a tiny bit better than HP ZR2240w, response time is basically same as the U2312HM, the input lag is just a shade lower than HP ZR2240w, call them equal.

I want the U2212HM for gaming but the input lag is the only thing stopping me from making a purchase. It's either the great contrast level and poor input lag of the U2212HM or the poor contrast level and great low input lag of the U2312HM.

Is input lag bewtween 20ms - 30ms going to cause a problem in gaming?

I am not giving exact numbers as you should support TFT Central. It only cost me 1.97GBP for the privilege.....support them :)

I read the review. It's basically the same as the HP ZR2240w. dE calibrated to same as last years U2211H. Black depth same as HP ZR2240w, Contrast ratio a tiny bit better than HP ZR2240w, response time is basically same as the U2312HM, the input lag is just a shade lower than HP ZR2240w, call them equal.

I want the U2212HM for gaming but the input lag is the only thing stopping me from making a purchase. It's either the great contrast level and poor input lag of the U2212HM or the poor contrast level and great low input lag of the U2312HM.

Is input lag bewtween 20ms - 30ms going to cause a problem in gaming?

Yes, then pretty please haha.

I really appreciate that, thank you very much. I think I will pass on the U2212HM this time around then, I was wondering if they used the same panel as the ZR2240W since the input lag numbers on that were pretty disconcerting. I was hoping that Dell might have applied something to get the input lag lower, closer to the U2312HM... oh well, looks like I'll stick with the U2312HM then, I think.

Thanks so much for saving me the trouble of possibly accidentally ordering them over Black Friday and regretting it. Just curious, how was the backlight brightness and uniformity on the U2212HM? The ZR2240W wasn't great compared to the U2312HM, but just curious. The contrast ratio is nice, but I just can't see giving up the zero input lag for ~25ms...

Yes, then pretty please haha.

I really appreciate that, thank you very much. I think I will pass on the U2212HM this time around then, I was wondering if they used the same panel as the ZR2240W since the input lag numbers on that were pretty disconcerting. I was hoping that Dell might have applied something to get the input lag lower, closer to the U2312HM... oh well, looks like I'll stick with the U2312HM then, I think.

Thanks so much for saving me the trouble of possibly accidentally ordering them over Black Friday and regretting it. Just curious, how was the backlight brightness and uniformity on the U2212HM? The ZR2240W wasn't great compared to the U2312HM, but just curious. The contrast ratio is nice, but I just can't see giving up the zero input lag for ~25ms...

You are welcome.

I was also hoping that Dell would tame the imput lag numbers compared with the HP ZR2240w however not by much really. I am rather tempted by the 22" because the contrast levels are so good for an IPS and I am thinking about games like the Witcher 2 which would be great with such a contrast level. I think I may order the 22" from Amazon and worst case scenario I can return and get the 23" if the lag is noticable, what you think?

The luminance range was way better on the 22" reaching a low 55 (cd/m2) at zero brightness. Its a better screen is you want a screen to work in the dark. The 23" only goes down to 114.2 (cd/m2) which may be a problem. The panel uniformity was great like the 23" but I guess that varies sample to sample so your results may vary. It looks better than last years monitors.

axipher at Overclock.net has 3 x U2212HM in eyefinity. I may ask him about the lag and if it is a problem for him.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1158962/suggestions-for-3x1-portrait-eyefinity

I have a HP ZR24w at home and love everything but the low contrast levels. It is evident in games and movies. I think I may just order the U2212HM from Amazon and give it a go.

:)

If you wanna go for it by all means take a shot :) I'm pretty sure most places would let you exchange it within 30 days, anyways, if something like the input lag is just too high. A really high contrast ratio is really tempting on an IPS monitor, but since I would be playing a bunch of games going form a <1ms lag time to ~25ms would definitely be noticeable. I would probably be okay with <16ms which would be only one frame of lag, but it seems like it's more than that.

Regardless, feel free to go for it and let us know how it turns out :) I haven't heard of a lot of people who opted for the 22 over the 23 yet, probably purely on size, so the opinions and reviews are really hard to find lol.

I would very much appreciate it if you would please let us know if the panel as any issue with blacklight edge bleeding like it's predecessor?

I was all set to buy the predecessor of this display until I found out that it has edge bleeding, which was one of the issues I was hoping to escape from a new, fancier, display.

Thanks!

I would very much appreciate it if you would please let us know if the panel as any issue with blacklight edge bleeding like it's predecessor?

I was all set to buy the predecessor of this display until I found out that it has edge bleeding, which was one of the issues I was hoping to escape from a new, fancier, display.

Thanks!

In the review, there was no bleed along the edges. The new Dell monitors all appear to be an improvement in this regard compared with last years models.

:)

If you wanna go for it by all means take a shot :) I'm pretty sure most places would let you exchange it within 30 days, anyways, if something like the input lag is just too high. A really high contrast ratio is really tempting on an IPS monitor, but since I would be playing a bunch of games going form a <1ms lag time to ~25ms would definitely be noticeable. I would probably be okay with <16ms which would be only one frame of lag, but it seems like it's more than that.

Regardless, feel free to go for it and let us know how it turns out :) I haven't heard of a lot of people who opted for the 22 over the 23 yet, probably purely on size, so the opinions and reviews are really hard to find lol.

I pulled the trigger and ordered the U2212HM from Amazon. I was convinced by axipher and his testimonial from the link above. The review categorises it as 1 to 2 frames of lag but still it's not Gospel and they can be slightly off with their measurment. I guess I will find out soon enough though. I should get it by Wednesday next week and will post my findings after some gaming soon after. I'm always confident ordering from Amazon.

P.S. I'm living with the GF at present and space is very limited here, hence why 22" would be better for me but in all honesty I think there is a 1cm (verticle) and 3cm (horizontal) difference between 22" and 23" so it's negligable I think.

;)

Coupon code ZXP20F740G$W11 for 15% off this monitor.
$237. This is probably in the HotDeals section, for people who don't read it!

Even with the coupon, Dell wanted $270 and Amazon's re-seller was $250 so I went with Amazon.

Last edited:
By the way, I bought the $3 review and the most significant thing I see in the article is they are showing a 23.8ms input lag (vs 0.6ms on the 2312HM). Seems like a HUGE difference, even though the panels are otherwise very similar.

By the way, I bought the $3 review and the most significant thing I see in the article is they are showing a 23.8ms input lag (vs 0.6ms on the 2312HM). Seems like a HUGE difference, even though the panels are otherwise very similar.

Haha yeah that's what Bloodflowerz said as well... I think that will probably be the deciding factor that makes me go with the U2312HM instead. I was totally all for losing 1.5" diagonal and getting better contrast while saving a few bucks, but I just think that that's far too much of a difference in input lag for someone who plays a lot of games. Let us know if it's that bad when you get it!

Haha yeah that's what Bloodflowerz said as well... I think that will probably be the deciding factor that makes me go with the U2312HM instead. I was totally all for losing 1.5" diagonal and getting better contrast while saving a few bucks, but I just think that that's far too much of a difference in input lag for someone who plays a lot of games. Let us know if it's that bad when you get it!
I'm banking on the fact that their testing methods for response time are inaccurate.
The L246WP I have now is somewhere between 20ms and 30ms so we'll see if I can spot a difference.

Just got mine in.
After checking it over, I don't see any apparent issues. No purple/yellow tints, backlight seems incredibly consistent.

Just played SR3 for an hour or so, don't see any problems with the input lag, seems about the same as my old monitor.
I'm wary when it comes to monitor purchases, but I can't find any flaws with this one. Excellent.

edit: I forgot to mention, there's no buzzing either, at any brightness setting. Got lucky there.

Last edited:
Just got mine in.
After checking it over, I don't see any apparent issues. No purple/yellow tints, backlight seems incredibly consistent.

Just played SR3 for an hour or so, don't see any problems with the input lag, seems about the same as my old monitor.
I'm wary when it comes to monitor purchases, but I can't find any flaws with this one. Excellent.

edit: I forgot to mention, there's no buzzing either, at any brightness setting. Got lucky there.

I agree with UtopiA. I have had mine for around 2 weeks now and completed Crysis 2 yesterday. I have noticed no input lag problems either. It plays as good as my HP ZR24W. No problems what so ever. Again, great backlight consistency, lovely black levels, and no strange tinting or screen buzz either. I have my brightness set at 40 in the menu. Everything is super sharp, I really like the dpi in a 21.5" form factor and I really don't find it much of a problem coming from a 24" 16:10. For the price, I am so pleased!

Don't know if this helps anyone but the Creative T12 speakers fit exactly under the screen when the screen is at it's highest verttical stand point.

:D

I just got a couple of tese and both panels I got have quite a bit of backlight bleed:

img0857small.jpg

img0856small.jpg

img0858small.jpg

I'm thinking about calling up Dell and getting replacement ones. Just afraid the new ones might have the same issues.

I ordered a second one, and it's pretty much the same as the first.
No buzzing, no bleed, no dead pixels, backlight is near perfect. Manufacture date is REV 01 October 2011.

If you have issues I suggest returning the monitor, the replacements will likely be better.

Yeah, I called Dell yesterday. They will get a couple of new ones out to me in the next few days. Will let you know how it goes.

If anyone else has backlight bleeding problems along the edge of the panel, try removing the bezel and only snap in certain parts of it. You may have to experiment which ones help or make the problem worse.

The top and bottom have 4 pins and the sides have 2 or 3, including 1 pin on each corner.
The bezel isn't screwed in, you can just use your fingers to snap it out.

On BOTH of my panels, the backlight changes each time I snap in part of the bezel, I've managed to get more consistent lighting by only snapping in certain parts.

I hope this all makes sense.
Dell used a cheap case on this one, including a lot of metal housing and plastic mounts on the interior, the pressure from the bezel (in each spot of the monitor) changes how pressure is applied to the back of the panel, which adjusts the backlights.

UtopiA, now you've had it a couple of weeks are you still happy with your U2212HM? I'm hovering over the buy button but TFT Central's high input lag is worrying me.

If the input lag is a real problem I'll get the U2312HM instead, but I'd much prefer the U2212HM (better contrast level and higher DPI as it's an inch smaller).

Cheers,

UtopiA, now you've had it a couple of weeks are you still happy with your U2212HM? I'm hovering over the buy button but TFT Central's high input lag is worrying me.

If the input lag is a real problem I'll get the U2312HM instead, but I'd much prefer the U2212HM (better contrast level and higher DPI as it's an inch smaller).

Cheers,
I haven't used a TN or CRT for years so I don't know what "0 ms" feels like anymore. My last monitor was an MVA with ~25ms lag and the U2212HM feels about the same. Personally I don't see any input lag. I'm not a competitive gamer, but everything I've played feels fine.

Even using all different monitor types over the years I've never seen any kind of input lag on any of the monitors, so I'm probably not the best judge of it. :/

If you think it's a problem then just go with the U2312HM since it's only a little bit extra.

Even using all different monitor types over the years I've never seen any kind of input lag on any of the monitors, so I'm probably not the best judge of it. :/

TBH that's what I want, a normal human being not a synthetic benchmark.

My first LCD I just went and bought one. Then I read about ghosting so looked at response times when buying my next one. Now I'm after an IPS and am looking at both response times and input lag.

Have I ever seen ghosting or input lag in the real world? Nope...

You haven't seen any problems with SR3 on the U2212HM. axipher on Overclock.net said he's played TF2, L4D2, CSS, BC2, SC2, BF3, LoL, WoW, NFS:MW, Dirt 3, Metro 2033, Crysis Wars, UT3 on his and not seen any lag at all.

That'll do me :).

Yeah, I called Dell yesterday. They will get a couple of new ones out to me in the next few days. Will let you know how it goes.

Well so called Dell again since I haven't received any monitors yet. Turns out they have no record of me speaking to them or any replacement monitors to be sent out :mad:

I guess lesson learned is to take the details of the guy you're speaking to and also a ref number if possible.

Off on holidays for a few weeks so will get replacement ones sent out then.

I put in a support ticket about a wiring issue inside the monitor and one of their tech reps actually called me the next day. :eek:

I've had the opportunity to try out two refurb monitors of this model...my 2209WAs are being replaced since they both have issues. My U2212HM's (which are going back since they're a physically smaller screen than the 2209WA) have horrible color uniformity. The right side has a blue hue and the left a yellow one.

I can't believe Dell would sell something this shitty.

Well so called Dell again since I haven't received any monitors yet. Turns out they have no record of me speaking to them or any replacement monitors to be sent out :mad:

I guess lesson learned is to take the details of the guy you're speaking to and also a ref number if possible.

Off on holidays for a few weeks so will get replacement ones sent out then.

Ended up getting a couple of replacement monitors sent out. After comparing them (backlight bleed wise) I eneded up keeping one of the original ones and one of the new ones.

As mentioned earlier, the backlight bleed is due to the pressure of the back being uneven. You can squeze the edges of the frame to make the bleed less or more. I'm now happy with my setup, but be aware that colour uniformity between scrreens as mentioned earlier, isn't the best. I guess this could be adjusted with settings.

Back