Dell Tinting Problem Official Discussion

pedophilekiller

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 29, 2007
Messages
462
I want to report my experience with this issue and maybe help potential shoppers who are looking at the U2311, U2410, or U2711. I don't know when this issue was first reported because I did not recall this issue upon the release. The first U2711 I purchased was in January and it was free of defect. I was very happy and consequently I tried to pick up a second panel from Dell this summer. To summarize, I had to return seven panels because I could not find one that had perfect uniformity. The panels were manufactured in May, June, and July. They were all new panels and placed in three separate orders over several months. Consequently, this is not a bad batch issue but some oversight in quality control.

For those who are not familiar with the phenomenon, the most common tinting is when the left side of the screen is greenish and the right side is pink. Others have reported the gradient may span diagonally or from top to bottom. To diagnose your panel, just use a white background or go to a forum with light backgrounds such as slickdeals. Look on the left side then on the right and you'll notice the unevenness quickly.

From my comparisons, the severity of the problem is inconsistent among panels. Therefore, I recommend potential shoppers to buy direct or from places with guaranteed replacements. You might be playing the panel lottery for a while. Another observation is the color temperature and brightness slightly varies between panels. Some panels look warmer or cooler compared to others. I prefer the slightly warmer look. This might be caused by the individual calibration that Dell commits to each panel. Lastly, I don't think you will get a perfect panel so if you have OCD I do not recommend this route. At best you will get a panel with unnoticeable tinting after the backlight heats up for a while. Again, this is a hardware defect. No software or physical adjustments has helped.

Please report in this thread if you have more information about this issue.
 
I have been reading about LCD panels for years. LG IPS panels of all varieties and sizes have various tinting issues. Not just dells, Apples, NECs as well.

IPS panels have the best overall characteristics IMO, but LG seems to have the worse LCD quality control of any LCD maker.

If you demand a perfect panel, I would say avoid LG IPS as I dont' think your odd are good.
 
Back
Top