Dell t5500 workstation

I am planning to buy a used T5500 workstation from either ebay or amazon. It has the below configuration which is way more than i need but around the same bucks i was willing to spend for creating a home lab. One thing i am not sure is how much power it will be consuming which i should take into consideration. i mean related to electricity bill how much more i should be expecting. i wont be using it all the time but around 3-4 hours a day more on weekends. If anyone had these or have used these workstations. Can you please shed some light on the power consumption i should be expecting?

Thanks in advance!!!

Welcome to [H]. There is no configuration shown but regardless the 5500 series is pushing upwards of 10 years old so its way behind the curve in efficiency compared to more current models. Those have an 875 watt power supply but they are 85 efficient ones. Even with its maxed out configuration under any sort of normal usage you are not going to notice it on your power bill. Now if you have dual hex core xeons in it plus gobs of ram and dual video cards and are running at near 100% load for 12 hours a day then yeah you might notice it but it really takes a LOT to sustain near 100% processor and/or video card usage. Things like distributed computing, heavy HD video conversions, compiling, 3D modeling, etc.

Back