Dell Strikes Back - editorial @ [H] Consumer

I used to work for a company that Dell outsourced their tech suppport to (chill, it was in the USA), and we REPEATEDLY asked for remote assistance tools over and over again. While I'm glad to see Dell FINALLY release these tools, what the hell took them 6 years to do it?!?! (somewhat retorical guys, there are obvious legal reasons why they would take their time, but 6 years is a bit much IMHO)

I'm also wondering if they're looking into stripping (upon request of course) other bundled software, and not just because of the bloatware possiblities. For instance, the Latitude D620 has an option for a biometric fingerprint reader. Nice idea, however the software Dell installs on the D620s (regardless if you bought the biometric option or not) for it conflicts w/ McAfee AV buffer overflow tests, which causes system crashes within seconds after McAfee comes up.

I'm kind of curious on the Dell Tech Support end if they have bandwidth optimization tools to help in the response time between each end. For instance in Radmin, you can lower the color bit rate (down to like 256 colors IIRC) and lower the frame refresh rate (less frames = less data = quicker response when it matters), etc.

Also wondering is with this revamp of how they do tech support, are they revamping the antiquated software they use to order PCs and do tech notes with? Last time I asked tech support what they were using 6 months ago maybe), it was the same damned software as I was using there 6 YEARS ago, and there were serious flaws. Dell updates the front GUI to their backend software, and it is nice and useful (e.g. prevents incompatiblity issues like the website does for end users ordering from the site), but unless things have changed, all reps are trained in the backend systems just in case of problems. Again, good idea, but bad to use legacy software (and in turn use it as a foundation for other systems) that doesn't have these same compatibility checks.

In short, with all of these revamps to their PC setups and their improvements in tech support, does anyone know if they are fixing their other problems as well?

yeah, i actually send Hardocp the news on the recent ad on their website about no bloatware, i had no idea they had already reported it and were writing up their whole trip on it, lol.

anyhow, with all these improvements and Hardocp right their to gauge their passion for winning gamers over, why oh WHY Hardocp did you not once again press them on the AMD issue. yeah sure, they just announced opteron server solutions, but that's only a small step up from previous incidents of them occasionaly selling AMD CPU's from their website.

their XPS line has been around for a while, and even though they only now have fixed the bloatware issue, the AMD question has been staring them in the face for almost as long, i'd seriously like to hear why (assuming Intels claims that they are not threatened by non-exclusivity is true) why they have still not visibly shown any upcoming AMD offerings in their gaming XPSes yet, since that plus this news may tip many people over the edge, including myself.

Every tech support guy I ever worked with to resolve a problem from Dell was dumber then a box of hammers. This includes high end server support and business class support. Pissing your money away IMO. I believe Gateway has the same system, and i think the software is called Control f1. Unless they back it up with good techs its going to backfire on them.

Just wondering, but since the XPS is meant to be a gaming platform did you bring up the fact that the cpu's in these system don't cut it against their amd counterparts? I know conroe is out sooon and i know about dells "reluctance" about going amd (even though thye have now with servers) but id love to hear their official explanation as to why they ignored amd cpu's for years even though for gaming pc's theres nothing currently better available.

I know one of the "reasons" was amd supposodly not being able to meet dells supply needs but even having 1 or 2 amd options on the xps line would have been good.

spincut said:
yeah, i actually send Hardocp the news on the recent ad on their website about no bloatware, i had no idea they had already reported it and were writing up their whole trip on it, lol.

anyhow, with all these improvements and Hardocp right their to gauge their passion for winning gamers over, why oh WHY Hardocp did you not once again press them on the AMD issue. yeah sure, they just announced opteron server solutions, but that's only a small step up from previous incidents of them occasionaly selling AMD CPU's from their website.

their XPS line has been around for a while, and even though they only now have fixed the bloatware issue, the AMD question has been staring them in the face for almost as long, i'd seriously like to hear why (assuming Intels claims that they are not threatened by non-exclusivity is true) why they have still not visibly shown any upcoming AMD offerings in their gaming XPSes yet, since that plus this news may tip many people over the edge, including myself.
Michael asked us what we thought if they'd start offering AMD processors in their systems - we said there'd be no downside. I interpereted his question and the way he asked it that they were taking it seriously. Of course, this was before the Opteron announcement - I don't know if he was talking about servers, but the whole time we were discussing XPS so who knows. But, the issue was brought up.

Chris_Morley said:
Michael asked us what we thought if they'd start offering AMD processors in their systems

I would have answered "wow you're actually gonna be offering a gaming pc?" :p

Just kidding :)

Seriously i dunno why its taken them so long to incorperate amd, AMD has been the gamers cpu for the last lot of years and i highly doubt dell are so ignorant as to ignore this fact. Just smacks of $$$ being passed on the side to remain intel exclusive. :(

If a companys gonna produce "gaming pc's" then they should cater to the gamers needs, no bs excuses either.

Chris_Morley said:
Michael asked us what we thought if they'd start offering AMD processors in their systems - we said there'd be no downside. I interpereted his question and the way he asked it that they were taking it seriously. Of course, this was before the Opteron announcement - I don't know if he was talking about servers, but the whole time we were discussing XPS so who knows. But, the issue was brought up.

did i miss that in your writeup?

anyhow, it's good to know he's asking, but lord knows, they may have at least been smart enough to question it in self wonder for as long as people have been screaming for it.

although i understand your goal there was to observe and probably not be too objective, i may have broken character for a moment to let him know that it would be a seriously "good idea" more now than ever before (and it would have been a good idea before too, likely for as long as they have been making "gaming machines").

when the new "jet engine" looking XPS that i saw at E3 (and that nobody working any of the featured booths for it knew nex to anything about) comes out and they decide t ouse this momentus to add AMD into it as well, that may push me into finally using my University discount before i lose it and get a Dell for my new gaming system.

Another thing to remember with Dell is that they have some fairly heavy duty agreements in place with various software companies, not least of which is Microsoft. Every single thing that they sell has to be tested in every single configuration in order to meet the requirements that they have in those agreements. I know for the MS agreement it's a staggering amount of money that they save on every copy of Windows just for having everything tested.

When they add in additional hardware platforms, it's that much more testing that needs to be done. More money spent to ensure everything passes muster. That could be part of the reason they've held off so long on AMD.

Also, it would mean that they'd have to spend more on additional technical support training and documentation to cover the new platforms.

Perhaps they felt that the additional cost they would incur wouldn't actually boost sales enough to justify it.

Just a guess.

About damned time. My little brother's looking for a gaming laptop (sadly, for CAD-work, not games) and I've been hesitant to recommend the Dell XPS line. Maybe now I should...

For now I would say that this is all talk on Dell's part. That is until we see more future honest reviews from Chris, Kyle and crew. Dell needs to get better otherwise we might see another editorial like the one about ATi making Kyle their PR bitch and Kyle not liking it. That was classic guys.

phatfong said:
For now I would say that this is all talk on Dell's part. That is until we see more future honest reviews from Chris, Kyle and crew. Dell needs to get better otherwise we might see another editorial like the one about ATi making Kyle their PR bitch and Kyle not liking it. That was classic guys.

So an editorial about a Positive change should always be negative so that it doesn't appear as an ad? What if the changes ARE happening, what if he looked at the changes and saw it was real?

Chris

The "problem" with Dell is that many enthusiasts view Dell as the hardware Antichrist, just as MS is viewed as the software Antichrist. No matter WHAT Dell does, they will always be damned, by those people sporting that view. Thus the positive review you have given Dell is viewed (wrongly) as the [H] "selling out".

If nothing else this proves beyond any doubt that the [H] has a major influence with hardware companies. You don't get to meet one of the richest and most influential people in the world when you're doing shits and giggles. The OEM Review System that you all have put into place is probably the single biggest advance with this 'site that I have seen.

The problem with the article is not soley that it's a positive editorial. It's that there are still some important negative aspects, that are completely uncommented on. And we're not used to the [H] ignoring things like that, which this editorial does.

xZAOx said:
The problem with the article is not soley that it's a positive editorial. It's that there are still some important negative aspects, that are completely uncommented on. And we're not used to the [H] ignoring things like that, which this editorial does.
Please be specific.

As somebody who has purchaced a few Dells in the past I am not a fan of thier scripted and very poor overseas tech support. Mr. Dell says he is passionate?! Please spare us as his companies tech support and labor practices (see Rip-Off Report among the many forums and news agencies) are sub standard. Until he gets passionate about tech support and is actually in touch with Dell's hiring practices and labor concerns I will never buy a Dell. It may be passion but its passion for more money in his pockets.

qdemn7 said:
the positive review you have given Dell is viewed (wrongly) as the [H] "selling out".

Has anyone accused [h] of selling out? let's keep this grounded in what people have actually written and leave out the hyperbole.

Everyone on the forum has a pretty deep investment in [h]. we spend a lot of time reading around and posting on various threads. and since the forum is a quasi-democratic institution some people feel it's their right to question the authorities in charge when they see something out of whack. this article is out of character for [h] and some folks here (myself included) want to understand why. Let's not throw around accusations until Kyle and Chris have said everything they need to say.

If nothing else this proves beyond any doubt that the [H] has a major influence with hardware companies.

Unfortunately, here I disagree with you. This shows that [h] is on someone's radar over in Round Rock. No offense to the [h], but to me all this proves is that Dell's quick to respond to negative reviews in markets where they see future growth.

Chris_Morley said:
Please be specific.

I've mentioned it twice already, and some others have too. Like the system restore image on the HD and no software discs, and the trouble and cost with getting OS discs. Also there's the AMD-lack that's an issue to some folk (not really one to me, even though all of mine I build are AMD). Plus, I'm still not convinced that their remote access tech is the end-all/be-all that the article seems to make it sound. Sure - it's definitely something that could help alot. But if their techs suck what does it matter? Or maybe their techs don't suck, but what if you still can't communicate with them properly due to a langauge/accent barrier? Reading broken english in a chat window is almost as frustrating and trying to listen to it.

The article comes off as "Dell is an awesome place to get a gaming computer" - which they may be now, but it still doesn't point out there are unresolved issues that, to some more than others, are very big no-nos.

I'm all for an article that has a postive tone to it, especially when a company as huge as dell is making strides to improve it's product. That's a great thing. But when there are still some areas lacking, those should be mentioned as well, so the report is balanced. If they had no areas in which they were still lacking, then it'd be okay (actually that'd be great, but I don't think there's a "perfect company" in existance). Editorial - "Dell rocks and is perfect!". Real life - "Better, but not quite perfect yet..."

xZAOx said:
I've mentioned it twice already, and some others have too. Like the system restore image on the HD and no software discs, and the trouble and cost with getting OS discs. Also there's the AMD-lack that's an issue to some folk (not really one to me, even though all of mine I build are AMD). Plus, I'm still not convinced that their remote access tech is the end-all/be-all that the article seems to make it sound. Sure - it's definitely something that could help alot. But if their techs suck what does it matter? Or maybe their techs don't suck, but what if you still can't communicate with them properly due to a langauge/accent barrier? Reading broken english in a chat window is almost as frustrating and trying to listen to it.

The article comes off as "Dell is an awesome place to get a gaming computer" - which they may be now, but it still doesn't point out there are unresolved issues that, to some more than others, are very big no-nos.

I'm all for an article that has a postive tone to it, especially when a company as huge as dell is making strides to improve it's product. That's a great thing. But when there are still some areas lacking, those should be mentioned as well, so the report is balanced. If they had no areas in which they were still lacking, then it'd be okay (actually that'd be great, but I don't think there's a "perfect company" in existance). Editorial - "Dell rocks and is perfect!". Real life - "Better, but not quite perfect yet..."
I don't know where I said they were perfect, but let me be clear on a few things.

I said that Dell was looking to "alleviate" some of the issues with their support. I explained how DellConnect could help. I CLEARLY pointed out the issues with foreign based support. Also, we have a TON of experience with Dell technical support. I have two editors right now working on Dell machines that have had a lot of interaction with Dell's support.

Also, getting an OS disk is a much easier to find option now than it was in December it's on the first configuration page, and is the second or third option down, clearly labeled:

Operating System Re-Installation CD

Other than that, we have had good luck with disk based recovery that we have experienced as of late. Our beef was when we had issues getting an OS disk or restore CD that would allow us to recover from a FAILED hard drive. I have no problem with HDD-based restore methods in general.

The AMD issue was brought up at Dell but not discussed in the article. We have shown from a scaling side that right now the AMD/Intel issue as it pertains to gaming is a moot point. I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that your average consumer who would purchase a gaming system from Dell would be able to pick in a blind taste test the AMD or Intel machine given all else is equal. It just is not going to happen.

lovemyPC said:
Has anyone accused [H] of selling out? Let’s keep this grounded in what people have actually written and leave out the hyperbole.

Everyone on the forum has a pretty deep investment in [H]. We spend a lot of time reading around and posting on various threads. And since the forum is a quasi-democratic institution some people feel it's their right to question the authorities in charge when they see something out of whack. This article is out of character for [H] and some folks here (myself included) want to understand why. Let's not throw around accusations until Kyle and Chris have said everything they need to say. .
Hyperbole? Accused? I can read between the lines, what people are saying is “Whoa... How DARE you say anything positive about Dell?” I read the forums, too, and I see endless variations of “Dell Sucks”. It reminds of the Disco era, and the “Disco Sucks” slogan. No explicit reason, just because it’s Disco and not Rock and Roll, it automatically sucks. And that dates me, too bad.

And just what do you find wrong with this editorial? And please give concrete examples. Some quotes from the piece would be nice.
lovemyPC said:
Unfortunately, here I disagree with you. This shows that [H] is on someone's radar over in Round Rock. No offense to the [H], but to me all this proves is that Dell's quick to respond to negative reviews in markets where they see future growth.
And this is bad? Exactly how? You would prefer they NOT respond? They respond, you complain. If they didn’t respond, would you complain? I mean what are you really saying?

And don’t think I’m sucking ass to anyone. Dell or the [H]. I went back and re-read the editorial just to be sure.

Here’s my say about Dell:

I went onto Dell’s site and configured some XPS systems. It takes FAR, FAR too long to do so. There are far too many attempts to cut corners, and thus prices for what are supposedly high-end systems. Dell is still hung-up on building to the customer whose main priority is cost. That’s fine for the mainstream consumer who only wants to save money, but for a high-end system it’s foolhardy. Sort of like buying a luxury automobile and finding out the “wood grain trim” is still plastic instead of real wood. The idea that you can spend up to $6K on an XPS, and if you’re not careful you don’t get a XP CD is ludicrous. And despite Chris’s comment vis-a-vis the XPS 400, the current top end system still utilizes proprietary parts. Chris states the next generation XPS will be fully upgradeable, but I will wait and see. As things stand right now I would NOT recommend any current XPS. I would recommend Maingear, Velocity Micro or OverdrivePC based on [H] reviews.

And as far as the [H] goes:

Don’t forget there are reviews still in the pipe about the newer XPS:

“We have two Dell systems we purchased in our offices for evaluation currently and we are seeing the changes Dell is making. We are happy to report that we are pleased with the results.”

One last thing, do you have something against capital letters? Ever read "Elements of Style"?

Chris_Morley said:
I don't know where I said they were perfect, but let me be clear on a few things.

I said that Dell was looking to "alleviate" some of the issues with their support. I explained how DellConnect could help. I CLEARLY pointed out the issues with foreign based support. Also, we have a TON of experience with Dell technical support. I have two editors right now working on Dell machines that have had a lot of interaction with Dell's support.

Also, getting an OS disk is a much easier to find option now than it was in December it's on the first configuration page, and is the second or third option down, clearly labeled:

Operating System Re-Installation CD

Other than that, we have had good luck with disk based recovery that we have experienced as of late. Our beef was when we had issues getting an OS disc or restore CD that would allow us to recover from a FAILED hard drive. I have no problem with HDD-based restore methods in general.

The AMD issue was brought up at Dell but not discussed in the article. We have shown from a scaling side that right now the AMD/Intel issue as it pertains to gaming is a moot point.

Thanks for the response. I never said you claimed that Dell made the perfect gaming machine - but the tone of the article left that impression on me, especially with lines like "The bottom line here is that Dell XPS gaming systems will run more games faster and with less overhead and less hassle". YMMV. Alot of your [H] readers are going to read this article basically as the "aftermath" of the previous Dell article. I think it'd benefit the article to also mention the points about AMD and hard disk restore image, especially noting that getting OS disks is no longer an issue. And, like you said, I find the AMD thing to be a non-issue, but it is to some. It would probably also benefit the article to mention they don't carry AMD, but that tests have shown it doesn't matter.

I still think the hdd restore image is a horrible idea, and others will too, so it should still be mentioned - but also put in reasons why you think it's not a bad idea (my issue with it, is a "newbie" may not think to get OS discs, then have that partition crap out on him, plus it's HD space eaten up).

xZAOx said:
Thanks for the response. I never said you claimed that Dell made the perfect gaming machine - but the tone of the article left that impression on me, especially with lines like "The bottom line here is that Dell XPS gaming systems will run more games faster and with less overhead and less hassle". YMMV. Alot of your [H] readers are going to read this article basically as the "aftermath" of the previous Dell article. I think it'd benefit the article to also mention the points about AMD and hard disk restore image, especially noting that getting OS disks is no longer an issue. And, like you said, I find the AMD thing to be a non-issue, but it is to some. It would probably also benefit the article to mention they don't carry AMD, but that tests have shown it doesn't matter.

I still think the hdd restore image is a horrible idea, and others will too, so it should still be mentioned - but also put in reasons why you think it's not a bad idea (my issue with it, is a "newbie" may not think to get OS discs, then have that partition crap out on him, plus it's HD space eaten up).
Most of those issues will be addressed in upcoming evaluations of products we already have in house. Many of the points I wrote in that article came from hands on experience with the products - which you'll see soon. So when I said that Dell's gaming systems will be able to run more games faster and with less hassle, that comes from witnessing first hand several changes in Dell's software load since the XPS 400. Here's a preview for you: Dell's M170 ran every single game we had without a problem - and we bought it BEFORE we were made aware of these new changes.

So the major problems with Dell boil down to having to pay 10$ for a OS CD and no AMD. (Tech support has improved and pricing is determined by S&D).

"No AMD" is not a real problem, it's an emotional one. This is clearly demonstrated in the H article on CPU scaling in gaming (their second best), also referred to by KB above. Conroe is coming but it won.t make much of a difference in gaming yet, as hi-resolution gaming performance will still be GPU-limited (maybe except for Sims2).

Which leaves us with the 10$ OS CD... I agree, it.s insane to charge that amount of money for a piece of plastic... and all the work with reading stuff and checking boxes while ordering... DELL SUXX!!!!

Chris_Morley said:
Most of those issues will be addressed in upcoming evaluations of products we already have in house. Many of the points I wrote in that article came from hands on experience with the products - which you'll see soon. So when I said that Dell's gaming systems will be able to run more games faster and with less hassle, that comes from witnessing first hand several changes in Dell's software load since the XPS 400. Here's a preview for you: Dell's M170 ran every single game we had without a problem - and we bought it BEFORE we were made aware of these new changes.

i did notice that although you have reviewed an XPS system, it was the 400, which i almost wouldnt consider for games even on a budget (as the 600's can also be priced kind of cheap), yet you never reviewed the 600 level series, the true gaming line (which i thought would have been the better point of comparison to your other review boxes).

so i assume when you say that the newer products are currently under evaluation this time it will be the new top of the line XPS model whatever itm ay be called (that jet engine looking thing at E3), since i'd rather gauge how that line performs over the mid-range.

spincut said:
i did notice that although you have reviewed an XPS system, it was the 400, which i almost wouldnt consider for games even on a budget (as the 600's can also be priced kind of cheap), yet you never reviewed the 600 level series, the true gaming line (which i thought would have been the better point of comparison to your other review boxes).

so i assume when you say that the newer products are currently under evaluation this time it will be the new top of the line XPS model whatever itm ay be called (that jet engine looking thing at E3), since i'd rather gauge how that line performs over the mid-range.
We look to evaluate as many Dells as we can, and yes, that will include the XPS 600 but we do not have one at this time.

dt3k said:
How has dell improved there technical support? Everytime I call I get a Indian that can barely speak english.

Those people can speak English way better than most Americans can. Just because they have an Indian Accent you bash them. The real thuth should be that they have poor support with people that don't really know whats going on and just reading a prompt.

I have said this before:

"The best way to respond to a less than ubber [H] Consumer review is to make changes and ask for another review instead of making excuses or canned responses." -Close quote

I am glad to see the No. 1 Pc maker pay attention to our market segment.

Kudos to Dell for at least making changes to try and address the concerns of our segment. :cool:

I am no fan boy of Dell (I build my own) but I have to use one at work, and it is usually pretty stable.

noobtech said:
Those people can speak English way better than most Americans can. Just because they have an Indian Accent you bash them. The real thuth should be that they have poor support with people that don't really know whats going on and just reading a prompt.

Thats crap. No they cant. At least the ones I've spoken to can't. and Don't tell me "I dont know whats going on" and dont try to turn this in to some soapbox for preaching about the evils of racism.

This is about getting what I paid for and that is support from someone who can understand what I'm saying.

seanbear said:
Thats crap. No they cant. At least the ones I've spoken to can't. and Don't tell me "I dont know whats going on" and dont try to turn this in to some soapbox for preaching about the evils of racism.

This is about getting what I paid for and that is support from someone who can understand what I'm saying.

I never said you don't know what's going on, but we all know what you're talking about. LoL We deserve to get some better help! When we pay our hard earned money on computers and get no real help with thier Tech Support.

That sums things up, right? :)

dt3k said:
How has dell improved there technical support? Everytime I call I get a Indian that can barely speak english.

not reading the whole thing but i hope that wasnt racist :) (doesnt seem so)

anyways most indians can speak better english than people with english for the first not 3rd language...

and its dells fault for not employing the more intelligent ones...

but i think dell has improved quite a bit well enough to make me consider one :p

god its annoying when anyones says a non white person is bad at somthing its suddenly racist.

They for the most part do not speak proper english just like i dont speak proper indian.. hence i shouldnt be tech support for india. Hence they shouldnt be tech support for america.

Mayhs said:
not reading the whole thing but i hope that wasnt racist :) (doesnt seem so)

anyways most indians can speak better english than people with english for the first not 3rd language...

and its dells fault for not employing the more intelligent ones...

but i think dell has improved quite a bit well enough to make me consider one :p

I doubt most of the millions of india speak better english then people of english first countries.

perhaps the discussion of outsourcing support should be moved to a different thread? or someone could create a new one. this seems to be veering off topic.

dajet24 said:
I doubt most of the millions of india speak better english then people of english first countries.

sry most educated indians

if you go to india even the beggers speak english...we just have a big misconception of india people as a whole...if we got people from here to speak spanish/french (2nd language taught in schools) then the other country would also get a bad impression of english people so i cant blame anyone....

While I applaud Dell for the move, I think the whole article is a joke.

What, 3 pages to explain that you will have no more pre-installed programs except an anti virus, and some remote debugging (yes, this is nice) support? Woh. I just rewrote the whole article in 1 phrase.

Seriously, this all feels like marketing blah blah blah. How hard could it be to have a "no preinstalled software" solution? It's even less work for them !!

Geez.

My company buys dells - by the thousands. We use their hardware techs onsite, they are good folks. We use their US tech support for certain phone support they are also good folks. I recommend Dell to my company's customers, these folks are not looking for a "gaming" PC. They are looking for a tool to get business done.
If I heard from my customers that Dell does not supply "adequate" tech support, I would not recommend them. Tech support costs money, the consumer is always demanding a lower price.
If Dell offered "Texas Support" as an option I would encourage all the customers to add that to their purchase - even if it added a significant amount to the purchase price. A computer is only a tool as long as it works, if it doesn't it's a waste of money. Down time is money lost, having a knowledgeable tech working your issues speeds restoration of service - and I would pay extra to keep from swinging from decision tree to decision tree with the script monkeys.

But if you're ordering enterprise vs. consumer, the experience you're recommending to your clients and friends is not the experience they'll get (most likely if they're ordering consumer and not getting XPS since you say they're not into gaming PCs). Enterprise is the largest part of Dell's business and they do have US based support for it. But unless you're buying XPS, your call will likely be routed to an overseas service center.

noobtech said:
I never said you don't know what's going on, but we all know what you're talking about. LoL We deserve to get some better help! When we pay our hard earned money on computers and get no real help with thier Tech Support.

That sums things up, right? :)

Sorry. I jumped the gun. My point is I do not take this stance out of some sort of hatred of all things alien. I was not implying that Indians are stupid or some how lesser beings. My point was my experiences with Indian tech support were awkward. Often I had to repeat my problems several times.

They were courteous at all times, as tech support should be, But the english was heavily accented in a way that made it difficult for me to understand their questions.

All that being said, I'm a little tired of having to go on the defensive every time I criticize someone or something different form myself. Wouldnt you say its a bit prejudicial to assume that any criticism is motivated by fear or hatred?

Back