Dell SP2309W Settings

Yeah I did have a look there but it said ships in 5-7 days so I didn't bother ordering as pcbuyit had stock. For the sake of £15 I'm not too fussed.

I'll be sure to post back tomorrow after it arrives to let you know my thoughts.

Ok, it's here. The screen is indeed glossy and does suffer from glare. It's not enough to annoy me but it may be an issue for others depending on the lighting conditions they work in etc.

The screen is crisp and clear and with the adjustments listed below looks pleasing to my eye from a colour reproduction point of view.

I've made the following changes to the settings:

Brightness: 75
Contrast: 70

Input Colour Format: RGB
Gamma: PC
Mode Selection: Graphics
Preset Modes: Custom RGB at the following settings R:80, G:79 B:95

Wide Mode: Fill
H Pos: 50
V Pos: 50
Sharpness: 0
Zoom:0
Pixel Clock: 50
Phase: 100
Dynamic Contrast: Off (I might turn this on to see how it is)
Response Time: Normal

EDIT:

There's definitely some backlight bleed along the top and bottom edge but it's not much and I will see how it goes. I've not noticed any dead/stuck pixels and overall am very happy with the screen.

Ok, it's here. The screen is indeed glossy and does suffer from glare. It's not enough to annoy me but it may be an issue for others depending on the lighting conditions they work in etc.

The screen is crisp and clear and with the adjustments listed below looks pleasing to my eye from a colour reproduction point of view.

I've made the following changes to the settings:

Brightness: 75
Contrast: 70

Preset Modes: Custom RGB at the following settings R:80, G:79 B:95

H Pos: 50
V Pos: 50
Sharpness: 0
Zoom:0
Pixel Clock: 50
Phase: 100
Dynamic Contrast: Off (I might turn this on to see how it is)
Response Time: Normal

EDIT:

There's definitely some backlight bleed along the top and bottom edge but it's not much and I will see how it goes. I've not noticed any dead/stuck pixels and overall am very happy with the screen.

Thank's, I will try thoes settnigs.

These are the settings I am using.

Brightness: 90
Contrast: 92

Colour Settings

Preset Modes: Custom (RGB)
Red: 84
Green: 83
Blue: 90

Display Settnigs

Sharpness: 50
Dynamic Contrast: On
Response Time: Overdrive

Hrm, you have a lot of blue in there, does the colour temp not look a bit too cool? I'm now at

80/75/85

In addition to my comments above I should also say that the viewing angles are pretty limited and the colours get a bit funny when you are viewing from funny angles. But if you are going to use this as a computer monitor (ie sitting head on using it on a workstation or something) then this should not be too much of a problem.

hi,

when i try to change my monitor to custom settings, im getting a reddish background and the picture is not clear at all........am i doing something wrong?

You may have your RGB settings wrong, also try reducing the sharpening, i found that gave me a better picture.

Out of interest what connection are you using?

well i put all your settings in and could not get a good picture.....it was connected to a HD OTA reciever when changing the settings though. im not sure if that has anything to do with my image quality....

i tried your settings again and when i switch from YbPbr to RGB the picture looks terrible and is really red......i have the same settings you do so im real confused why it looks so bad.....any help would be great

how is this for gaming? I a considering it, but and leery of the odd resolution. I will likely have a GTX260 to go with it.

Thanks

how is this for gaming? I a considering it, but and leery of the odd resolution. I will likely have a GTX260 to go with it.

Thanks

I personally dont play PC games much these days but from what others have said it's just fine. I think one guy (Usama?) has been playing Crysis on his and I think the res worked fine. If a game doesnt automatically support it I am sure you could frig an ini file or add some launch parameters and it would work just fine.

I think it's a great monitor, ok it doesnt have the best tech or the most features but it does the job and all the while is a quality looking bit of hardware. Look at my comments above and you will see more of what I think of it.

Has anyone hooked this up to a PS3 yet??? what's the quality like? for PS3 gaming, Bluray watching and pc use do you think that the 24" dell monitor which is native 1080p would be better? really tempted by one of these screens just can't decide which one

Has anyone hooked this up to a PS3 yet??? what's the quality like? for PS3 gaming, Bluray watching and pc use do you think that the 24" dell monitor which is native 1080p would be better? really tempted by one of these screens just can't decide which one

For exclusive 1080p PS3 use I would go for the 24" 1920x1080 screen. It makes sense as it's slightly larger and there will be no scaling required.

The reason I go the 23" is that it has a slightly high resolution and I use mine for work rather than games/movies.

I'm getting this monitor soon, should arrive in the next few days. I just wanted to ask what actually comes in the box apart from the monitor? Do you get a HDMI/DVI cable?

I'm getting this monitor soon, should arrive in the next few days. I just wanted to ask what actually comes in the box apart from the monitor? Do you get a HDMI/DVI cable?

let me guess? dells days of deals? :)

yes it does come with the dvi cable, a vga cable (pre-attached to the monitor) but no hdmi cable as there is no hdmi input on this monitor anyway

No HDMI input on the Dell SP2309W??? Are you sure? It says it does on the Dell website :confused:

My PC has no DVI input but I have got a HDMI port and HDMI cable...I am aware that I could use a DVI/HDMI adapter but would I lose any quality? Also what is better DVI or HDMI? And will the monitor run perfectly if I keep my Nvidia 9400GT? It says it supports the resolution on the Nvidia website.

Lol yes...ordered from Dell and the e-mail says it should arrive on or before the 27th :)

let me guess? dells days of deals? :)

yes it does come with the dvi cable, a vga cable (pre-attached to the monitor) but no hdmi cable as there is no hdmi input on this monitor anyway

Thats the s2309w, this thread is about the sp2309w, and it has hdmi and many other features that s2309w lack

DVI signal = HDMI video signal. Any adapter is simply a cable adapter and doesn't affect signal - unless of course it's a steaming pile of shit.

Ok so right now I run a dual monitor setup on an 8800GTS with one monitor at 1440x900 and the other at 1920x1080. I would replace my 19" Samsung (1440x900) with this monitor. Anyone think the card will have any trouble with a 2048x1152 + 1920x1080 setup? Thanks for all the info guys.

EDIT: I've been looking at this monitor for a while and just noticed that the price on the dell website just went down $50. I was going to call in and see if I could purchase it as a "small business owner" and was wondering if anyone has done something similar and if so what kind of deal you have gotten. I would really like to purchase it through dell but this is looking really tempting, I've heard that if you call and talk to a rep their computers won't allow them to sell under a certain price depending on the product. Should I just call and ask what the best deal they can give me is? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for any answers.

I have this monitor too. I am going to return mine for a refund... or I hope I can. The monitor was a great deal at 260, but the viewing angle and backlight bleed is too much for me to enjoy it. I even bought a ergotron lcd arm to compensate but it's no use. Unless I view it straight on it's a bad viewing experience.

Anyway, Timm, I ordered it from that link you have there... I got it the next day with the cheapest shipping (apparently they are close to me). I don't know how good their return is though...

Would you mind leaving updates on the return process? And even though you bought the monitor through this other site you still get the 3 year warranty through dell right? Thanks

I can post the return process here, no problem. the order did say it comes with 3 year warranty, but it's probably through Dell.

The online return process sucks. I used their online forum to post a RMA request, only to be ignored completely. So I called. The first time, after being on hold for a while, I was transferred to tech support because customer support was too busy. I talked to the tech support and he found my request and moved it to high priority queue, and said I would get a response within 24 hours. 24 hours later, I didn't get anything so I called cust. support again. After a while of waiting I spoke to a guy and he said the period to return had already expired. Their policy is that you need to obtain the RMA AND have the part back in their warehouse within 30days. So I said, I made the request before the 30 days but they didn't get back to me. The guy put me on hold again for a long time and when he came back he told me he got the OK from his manager to give me a RMA. So I got the RMA in the mail and sent it back.

My experience and lesson is this: call them directly for the RMA instead of the online thing. Other than that it has been a good experience.

can anyone comment on PS3 quality on the S2409W?

From reading the reviews at dell, it sounds great, except for a comment about MGS4 being blurry.

Is it me or do those pics look a little off. It looks like the top and bottom middle of that monitor is pinched. The lines and everything look wavy near the center. Is that for real or is it just the camera?

Just got mine and I have to say, I'm quite pleased with it.

Never had other LCDs so I can't really compare.

Have no problems with the resolution either for any games I play although the refresh rate doesn't compare to a CRTs but it's definitely much much less noticeable than I remember on other peoples' LCDs.

Still need to get the webcam and mic working.

Do you guys have any new changes you made to your image settings?

Is this monitor able to sit flush with the desktop? I would like to do that and want to know if there might be a problem with the monitor stand or the cables.

Back