Dell S2440L - $190 + $20GC - $20 VMEPROMO - Newegg

Cecil

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260106&Tpk=s2440l

$190 free ship
-$20 VMEPROMO with $10 filler / other item
$20 gift card
$150 in the end

I have one, got two more for surround. Awsome monitors, with VA panels. Contrast is WAY better then IPS/TN. IPS has better viewing angles, but you have to be basically at the side for it to wash out. TN has faster responce, but VA is faster then IPS. So basically VA is in the middle of TN and IPS.

This does have tempered glass, and is mirror like. But if you can conrtol the lighting, its the most crisp and best looking monitor Ive used (Ive had a U2412H, Catleap 2560, Auria 2560, etc..)

Thanks for the heads up! Is there a similar monitor without the mirror-like glossy screen?

Not for the price.

BenQ has some that are VA panels though, usually over $200 or so for 24in.

If you have any way of controlling light, glossy really does look way better then matte. Once you go glossy, you dont go back.

Last edited:
Is this any good for gaming? Needing an upgrade in the monitor department and if so $150 is a pretty dang good price for a dell. My last few dells seem to last 5-8 years.

I just picked one of these up from Best Buy this evening (I had a gift card to use). Seems like a decent monitor, particularly for the price. My only complaints so far (after having it for a whopping 3 hours) is that it's not 27" with a 2560x resolution and it lacks VESA mounts. I may order a second to with it. Here are a few reviews (with technical measurements) it for if anybody is interested.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2440l.htm
http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2440l

Thanks for the heads up! Is there a similar monitor without the mirror-like glossy screen?

I'm really torn myself, I'd really want a pair of 24 IPS's but I'd prefer non-gloss... What are the non-gloss options out there on the low budget end?

Is this any good for gaming? Needing an upgrade in the monitor department and if so $150 is a pretty dang good price for a dell. My last few dells seem to last 5-8 years.
The picture quality is amazing for games. Its like the difference of a matte LCD tv VS a Plasma. The screen is glass, which makes everything much more vivid, and the colors pop more. No screen door effect.
The responce time is in between TN and IPS, so is to say you would never notice the difference, since top IPS panels now are still slower then this, yet no one can really see ghosting on them. The input lag on this series of monitors is also extremely, in the 6ms range, which is better then just about any other monitor I know of.
I'm really torn myself, I'd really want a pair of 24 IPS's but I'd prefer non-gloss... What are the non-gloss options out there on the low budget end?

For non gloss budget IPS, there is the ASUS PB238Q for $215 on Amazon. 23in P-IPS 1080P, pretty sure its matte. Nice stand too. Other then that, not much that isnt gloss, and is "cheap". The dell U2312HM is mid 2s.

Nice find OP, but i am So gdamned tired of these glossy screens!

Matte finish or go home.

I have used both matte and glossy screens for many years. I came from using CRTs, which were glossy to begin with, and Cecil is right - colors pop out more and I can see reflections from behind me if somebody's trying to sneak up :p

Back