Dell Replacement Laptop

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
Long story short but Dell agreed to replace my laptop. Anyone with experiance doing that? Do they generally replace it with an identical model or ???

Reason why is they no longer make my exact model. They said it'll be identical or better.
Better could mean performance (Alienware) or size (Adamo XPS), so what on earth is to be expected?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Mixed experiences... they always send refurbs, though.

Couple years ago they replaced my 14" Inspiron with a 15.4" Vostro... even though they still offered 14" Inspirons. I called to complain about the size, and they wouldn't do anything for me. I never really followed up again, but probably could have insisted on the same screen size if I kept pushing (from what I Googled at the time). Specs of replacement machine were way better (C2D for a Pentium M), but make sure you test it thoroughly when you get it. Since I had no desire to use a 15.4" machine, I did a power-on test when I got it, then left it in the box. Come to find out when I took it out of the box a couple months later to sell it, it had serious motherboard issues that made it entirely unstable. At that point, I was up the creek without a paddle - original warranty was over and I had been sitting on it for 2 months.

My friend just recently had her 14" Latitude replaced with the current 14" model Latitude (traded her D620 for an e6400)... also a decent upgrade, from a Core Duo to a C2D, plus she got the webcam, fingerprint reader, etc etc... a few features she never had.

edit: Look in the outlet. If the refurb of your model is available, that is most likely what you will get (not guaranteed). If it is not, you will likely get the closest model.

*Supposedly* they will call me on Monday with what the replacement will be.

But yea, I'd be pretty ticked off if they sent me a 15" monster in place of my 13"...
That's what I meant (and tried to explain to them), that "better" is subjective.

Sooo it looks as if they're replacing this with the M1340, which is alright. Specs are pretty much similar, a bit faster CPU but the rest is about the same. I guess the one they're sending is leather touched...

Only difference is it's an LCD display and not LED. They said they could replace this after I receive it... Is it worth screwing with?

You're probably getting the Studio XPS 1340. In place of my M1530 I got a defective SXPS 1640, which in turn is in the process of being replaced after a repair attempt. My dealings with Dell support have been going on for over a month now, so... :p
Only difference is it's an LCD display and not LED. They said they could replace this after I receive it... Is it worth screwing with?
You should get the equivalent or better of what you previously had. If not, get a hold of them. I first received a screen with a 1366 x 768 resolution vs my original 1440 x 900; I got it replaced with a 1920 x 1080 one. Also am missing the fingerprint reader on the SXPS. Might have to argue for a Latitude E6400 or something if the second SXPS is no good.

Other things to look out for would be a slightly lower-spec'd processor, RAM, hard disk space, and even the GPU.

Last edited:
The better features over my M1330?
Backlighted Keyboard (AWESOME!)
WirelessN (Have no need for it but it's an upgrade)
Leather accents (I have no idea what that means but it sounds cool)

On my list that they need to change/supply:
LED Display (Draws less power and weighs less, also brighter)
Remote Control (I never use it but what the heck, I had one on my M1330)

Also missing a fingerprint reader but I've never onced use it- really don't care.

Two questions...
NEW one has a GeForce 9400M in it. My M1330 had a 8400M GS.
NEW one has a C2D P8700 (2.53GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3M L2 Cache). My M1330 had a C2D T7500 (2.2GHz/800MhzFSB, 4M L2 Cache).

Now... Are those at least as good as what I had?

Edit- I think I'm good on RAM. The M1330 had just DDR2, the new M1340 has DDR3. Disk space is more, and still 7200RPM.
And from what I can tell, The processors are about equal, just newer variations of both the processor and the GPU?

Last edited:
Sounds like they did well for you. :) I'm assuming by your edit that the RAM quantity is at least equal?

They'll send you a warranty repair computer or possibly refurbished (try and check the serial on it. they tried to pull this on me. However, they did send back my previous computer which I harvested the 'organs' from, I mean parts.)

As for specs, they'll send you the more basic level computer comparable to your previous one.

I'm sorry you're getting another Dell dude! (heh, always wanted to say that.)

They'll send you a warranty repair computer or possibly refurbished (try and check the serial on it. they tried to pull this on me. However, they did send back my previous computer which I harvested the 'organs' from, I mean parts.)
IDK, I've got the order information that I can pull up on the one they're sending me, and I swear that it's new. It looks just like an order would if I'm ordering a new machine.

But if I do get something that's beat up they'll be replacing it. Mine is like new.

Is this thru warranty?
Yep.
I got the 4 Year CompleteCare (Accidental Damage). I got a special on it, like $100 more. Obviously it's been well worth it.

I'm just happy I'm getting a new model. With the problems the M1330 seems to have, I'm glad I'm getting the newer variation of it... Hopefully they've replaced some of the parts that are bad (I know the CPU and GPU are newer models, assuming the Motherboard is as well).

What how did you get a new laptop they just keep sending me new Motherboards for my M1330. Its starting to get really annoying.

What how did you get a new laptop they just keep sending me new Motherboards for my M1330. Its starting to get really annoying.

Well, they diagnosed that it was my Mobo (after the AC Adapter they sent me wasn't the issue) on a Friday. On Monday, missed the tech's call. Tuesday and Wednesday he called- but never showed up. Complained to Dell, and finally on Thursday he showed up- but Dell had sent him a Mobo for the M1530...

So at that point I just laid it on the line.
I told them their policy was to repair or replace. I said since they obviously couldn't repair it, that I wanted it replaced.
This is also on top of the fact I have NBD (With Nights+Weekends) warranty.
Also adding to that, the GPU has been replaced once and the Mobo twice. So I said I'd really just like to get the whole thing replaced with a different model if possible. If the laptop has this many issues, and Dell sucks so bad at repairing it- I want a new model.

That's really all there was to it. If you've got multiple motherboards replaced as well, you have a good case for (the next time it happens) having them replace the whole thing.

The downside is waiting for it though... My replacement is still in production.

Just got a voicemail from Dell...

They replacement they're sending me is NEW, not refurbished.

:D

Well, they diagnosed that it was my Mobo (after the AC Adapter they sent me wasn't the issue) on a Friday. On Monday, missed the tech's call. Tuesday and Wednesday he called- but never showed up. Complained to Dell, and finally on Thursday he showed up- but Dell had sent him a Mobo for the M1530...

So at that point I just laid it on the line.
I told them their policy was to repair or replace. I said since they obviously couldn't repair it, that I wanted it replaced.
This is also on top of the fact I have NBD (With Nights+Weekends) warranty.
Also adding to that, the GPU has been replaced once and the Mobo twice. So I said I'd really just like to get the whole thing replaced with a different model if possible. If the laptop has this many issues, and Dell sucks so bad at repairing it- I want a new model.

That's really all there was to it. If you've got multiple motherboards replaced as well, you have a good case for (the next time it happens) having them replace the whole thing.

The downside is waiting for it though... My replacement is still in production.

Next time I'm going to throw a fit then. Because when it fails this time and I'm sure it will. They are replacing the motherboard and the heatsink due to overheating but I get to keep the CPU that has been baked along with the ram that was in 2 faulty mobo's. So anybody want to bet when its going to fail this time.

Good luck with the new system. Mine should be arriving within the next week, hopefully "Certified Refurbished" is meaningful phrase this time around (assuming I don't get a new one)...

Next time I'm going to throw a fit then. Because when it fails this time and I'm sure it will. They are replacing the motherboard and the heatsink due to overheating but I get to keep the CPU that has been baked along with the ram that was in 2 faulty mobo's. So anybody want to bet when its going to fail this time.
Don't throw a fit, just tell them the warranty covers to repair or replace it, it's gone through many repairs which are being a major trouble to you having to miss work to meet the tech, they've repaired the same problem many times, and just need to replace the entire system.

That's pretty much what I did. Dell actually tried to remedy the problem, but when they sent the wrong size MoBo to the tech, that was the last straw and I think they knew it.

Good luck with the new system. Mine should be arriving within the next week, hopefully "Certified Refurbished" is meaningful phrase this time around (assuming I don't get a new one)...
That's pretty much like new. Whatever is left of your current warranty covers it, I believe.

As for my new one, I talked to Dell last night and they're going to get the order changed to have an LED on it. So that means they won't have to come out to replace it. As far as the remote, the M1340 doesn't even have a slot for it so I'm not going to make a big deal out of it.

Same here. :)

They said they'll take care of that, too... IDK how long I'll be waiting on them to build this stinking thing tho. It still comes down to me being without a laptop. Might be better in the end if it means less troubles.

The remote will be mailed seperately they told me. And they expediated it so I should see it in 4-5 days.

Fingers crossed...

If my replacement system is without one again, I'll just call and wait; what matters most is actually having a system to use! :D

Last edited:
I don't know how I got this lucky, but on the new order they actually upgraded my Video along with the WLED screen :D
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9500M - 256MB

Got mine in today. Got upgraded video, processor, screen, and working sound. :)

I haven't read the whole thread, but Dell's policy from my experience (4 replacement laptops in 5 years), they need to replace it with something equal or greater in performance. Essentially, they need to match EVERYTHING, and if they can't, then it's an upgrade. Make it a point to get what you want.

Yea that's what they ended up doing. The M1330 isn't sold anymore so they sent me the Studio XPS 13"

I'm still waiting on mine to be shipped...

Back