Dell quality?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

I had one once, and, I am looking to buy a laptop in the next 6 months, another one.

Right now, we got a Toshiba Satilite, I like it, its basic and does its job, however, I am rolling into 2 years w/o upgrading my desktop, so, its build a new desktop or, buy a laptop. I had a dell laptop before, and, it was a turd. They, however, have what I am looking for, a good mix of go fast parts and decent price.

How are they these days? It was prob about 3 years since I had mine, but, the first 6 months was hell, off the top of my head, the laptop I had got a new: processor, screen, mobo, dvd drive, power cord, battery.

I have configured one that I could live with, 17" screen and plenty under the hood do do what I do with my desktop. It comes out to being about 1600$, everyone else I try to configure a laptop like it though, comes out to being close to 2k, and, the warranty is the same.

Another option I have thought about was go with the dell and get the accident protection and whatnot, for 3 years. I plan to have the laptop for awhile, I might do some schooling, so, I want something I can do my work on in the car or whatever, and it will be around. I DONT want an XPS or anything over the top fancy.

Dell quality is actually pretty good on their laptops. I know you don't want over the top fancy pantsy xps but the m1210 is getting a good rep these days, some have even found the refurb models with 7400 gpu's in the sub $1200 range making them an exceptional value.

I'd prefer a 17" screen, and, from XPS, thats def out of budget.

I've had a Inspiron for over a year now and its suprisingly rugged. So far its taken a spill onto the keyboard, a fall from my desk and being bumped around in my backpack. Dell laptops are pretty good for the $, desktops are another story... ;)

Dell quality has been good to me. As for the XPS out of price range, if you have a number in mind, then it never hurts to call directly and negotiate. I got my XPS down a considerable amount and avoided having to import a Sager 5760 from the US fwiiw ...

I am looking to spend about 1600-ish on a laptop, I want big screen, strong processor, fast hard drive, and graphics I can stand to game with. I don't want a balls-out gaming laptop, at the same time, I don't want a bear minimal laptop. I am looking to replaced my aged desktop, and, make a gain.

The two dell Latitude notebooks that I currently co-own (well my brother has one, I have the other) are both going strong. I am very happy with them. I am considering to get a little nicer HDD.

I suspect the current Inspirons like E1505 and E1705 are made by Asus - cause Dell signed a deal with Asus, and the aluminum body seems similar to Asus laptops. Also the E1505 we bought recently seems much higher quality than my work Dell laptop, which is about a year old.

I have no complaints with Dell quality at the moment. I bought a Celeron-based Inspiron 1300 for my mother ~3 months ago for ~$650CDN and it's a great notebook for the money. It feels very solid, has a 15" wide display, DVD burner and gets ~4 hours out of the 6-cell battery.

I am strongly considering the e1705. I would swing an e1505 but there is no option I want for the video. I will prob also shell out for the 2yr warranty/accidental plan.

Anyone ever have to use the accidental plan?

The official company laptop at my job is the Latitude D600. I guess we have had ours about 2 years maybe. We just replaced the LCD screen about 1 month ago and we have had the HDD replaced 3 times. Honestly the harddrive part doesn't suprise me, because most companies use cheap flimsy drives, so thats something I look at upgrading my self along with memory. The stock harddrive weighed about as much as 4 paperclips.

So really the screen was the only real problem. Software wise its been rebuilt like 5 times, but I attribute that to the retard co-workers that don't know how to maintain an OS and our bosses not letting the System Admins have admin rights to fix the thing when it starts going south.

But that is an older laptop, and probably the dirt cheapest they could get....I would imagine the newer ones would be better and they have (way) better features.

Varmint said:
I suspect the current Inspirons like E1505 and E1705 are made by Asus - cause Dell signed a deal with Asus, and the aluminum body seems similar to Asus laptops. Also the E1505 we bought recently seems much higher quality than my work Dell laptop, which is about a year old.

This has me thinking, where can I get the video and other cards to build a laptop, or, add the parts, if I was to buy a dell or build my own?

most of the whitebox (BYO models) are asus models. Do some searches here.

My e1405 had the mobo suicide on me, but dell overnighted it both ways, so wasn't down for too long.

Screen flexes a little, can creak when you push on thefan grill, etc. My thinkpad T22 is 4+ years old and still kicks the e1405s ass for build quality. But it was also a lot more money when new.

Think "you get what you pay for". Performance, price, quality...pick 2. dell generally does 2.75 :)

The majority of complaints I've seen with Dells are with the basic/default standard screens (at least on the 15.4" and 17"). The screens are usable, but quality is inconsistent (light leakage, dark corners, poor viewing angles, etc.). I have an I6000 and just recently picked up a E1705 (I9400) with the standard screen offerings. I've gone through a screen replacement on the E1705 (Dell will send you the parts if you want to swap the screen yourself), and still am not satisfied and working it with them.

For laptops, it's hard to beat a Dell laptop with regard to price vs. spec.

Poster above regarding Aluminum? Are you sure? Or just fooled by the metallic silver. I'm pretty sure my 9300 and e1705 are not aluminum. Could be wrong. :D

OP: Dell quality is, for what I put my systems through, outstanding. Other than the classic bloatware that is easily removed with a format, they are very solid, well-built, strong machines.

Made by ASUS???? OK, so I just bought an "Asus" Inspiron E1505? ROFL...this laptop (see sig) is suprisingly good once you clean the crap off.

Back