Dell PSU Replacement

wrangler

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
3,929
Did the search but the information is so widely varied that it seems like a system to system question.

The 3 kind but strangely accented gentlemen I spoke with on this long ago warranty expired Dell either didn't understand what I was asking or were being obtuse.

SO

Guru's.......It is a Dimension 4500 from 2001 originally a 1.8 Northwood, now a 2.8 Northwood with 2 Gig and a decent hard drive. 845EPT2 motherboard. Still a good computer that just needs one more decent AGP video card to take it until Vista doesn't suck so much and my wife orders her a new comp through work from Dell. (just too damn cheap and easy otherwise I'd build her one.) The model # off of the power supply is HP-P2507F3B.


If it is indeed proprietary, would any of you have the pin out. I feel confident that I could just re-pin a standard PSU. I guess I could always just take it out and measure each pin with my DMM but.......lots easier if you guys already have it. :) I have also heard that there are adapters.

Thanks in advance!
 
You guys are the kings.

Good tip on the PCP&C but I've got a good old Antec 400W with decent 5 & 12 volt rails that I should have shoehorned in there in just a minute.

Thanks again!!
 
Well. The on/off switch on the Antec is thwarting me.
Except for the PC P&C which is $119, I can't seem to find an acceptable replacement from the recommended list. Lot's of them in the 30-50 dollar range with acceptable specs but they all have on/off switches in the wrong place. Can one of you guys recommend something keeping in mind this is an older board that still needs a good +5v rail in addition to a beefier 12v rail with no on/off switch or where the on/off switch is right below the plug?
 
Well. The on/off switch on the Antec is thwarting me.
Except for the PC P&C which is $119, I can't seem to find an acceptable replacement from the recommended list. Lot's of them in the 30-50 dollar range with acceptable specs but they all have on/off switches in the wrong place. Can one of you guys recommend something keeping in mind this is an older board that still needs a good +5v rail in addition to a beefier 12v rail with no on/off switch or where the on/off switch is right below the plug?
Take a look at the lower end Zippy's.
 
Posting an update just in case anybody with the same situation does a search.

Ended up going with the PC P&C Dell replacement unit after all.

After what I consider a pretty good amount of searching, I couldn't find a power supply that would fit physically because of the placement of the on/off switch. What a bitch. Lots of $50 - 60 psu's out there that would have met my power requirements but I end up spending $130something.

I guess if I was a true cheapskate I could have removed all of the components and drilled out a hole for the switch. But in the end I figured my time was worth more than the $70 bucks and the ass that the hole would have looked like and hey......I finally own a vaunted PC P&C psu. Too bad it's in my wifes crappy Dell. sigh At least it will soon be powering that new 7800GS and I can play games downstairs too! :)

Anyway, hope this info helps somebody else not waste a huge amount of time.
 
Hey, at least you can reuse it when you dump the crappy Dell. Remember, most other cases don't care about the placement of the switch!
Score. :)
 
Back
Top