dell problems

XBLiNKX

[H]ard|Gawd
my gf just got a dell desktop and when something requires a 2nd disk to install when you put the next disk disk in the program stops responding, Any clue what could be wrong?

Iiiiiiinteresting.

We had a similar problem with our evaluated Dell Dimension XPS 400. Specifically, Sims 2 would crap out on the second disc.

We were able to resolve the problem by uninstalling the bloatware (or disabling it in the msconfig settings.) Some sort of wacky conflict caused problems with the machines. We don't know what exactly did it but removing the bloatware worked.

Since I wrote that evaluation, people have been asking me "How do you uninstall the bloatware safely?" I'm hesitant to answer that question because I don't want to get sued or have someone be dissapointed when I tell them something and then they uninstall something that they ought not to. Suffice to say if you are comfortable with Add/Remove Software in the control panel and can point out the difference between a program and a driver, you're pretty much good to go.

My boss at work has had this problem. I don't dare explain things to him as he pretty much has no idea what is going on. Call of Duty was the first game to do this for him and the most recent was Tiger Woods.

Funny thing about Call of Duty, he took it back to the store to exchange it for a "working" copy and it actually installed. I have no idea what happened there.

Back