Dell Precision R5500 replace Perc 6/i

jriker1

n00b
I have a Dell Precision R5500. Want to replace the pci.e Perc 6/i with a different card so I can get better thruput with newer drives. Don't want to argue performance or what better means (if you can tell I've been thru these derailments before). Does anyone have suggestions to do a direct pci.e replacement for the 6/i and what cables I would need? Problem with most of these cables are they are a direct replacement for a PowerEdge unit so I've heard cable lengths can be a problem in a lot of cases due to apparently the distance for the PowerEdge being less than to get to the pci.e slot on the Precision. Was considering a H700 but wasn't sure if that made sense today or if there were better alternatives? Don't really want to put to much money into this, but if there is value would consider.

Expectation today is there will be a combination of SAS drives and SSD drives.

Thanks for your help.

JR

I have a Dell R510 that came with the Perc 6/i. Ended up replacing it with the H700 which I got off eBay last year for 89 USD with cables and battery.

Running 3 arrays with one being SSD and the other having drives larger than 2TB, no issues. ESXi seems to be happy with it.

YMMV with cables but depending on the eBay seller you can ask them to include longer versions if they have them on hand.

Some posts may advertise it for the R5500 and may include the right cables too.

Thanks. I went over H700, H710, H730p, H740p. In the end I scratched my head at the cost used of an H710 that was close to the H730p and H740p. Almost bought the H740p and decided it was not bringing any value to my motherboard capabilities and ordered the H700. They didn't come with cables but did come with a battery though I think my 6/i battery and cable would work. Ordered 29.5" cables as those are about what the old ones were and what it measures with a vinyl tape measure and came out the 28" for the A cable and 26" for the B cable so figured it should work.

Thanks.

JR

Nice.

I forgot to mention that the cables that came with my card unfortunately had the L shaped end go the other way.

That ended up costing me a few inches of reach and had to go get another set of cables in order to reach the card.

Back