Dell PowerEdge R410

hellosky

Weaksauce
Anyone own a PowerEdge R410 server? How are the noise levels? I heard it was a screamer at first but the new firmware that came out recently cut the noise levels down. I want to buy one to use as a ESXi server and wanted to get your input.

I do have a closet I can stick it in but it's only a clothing closet (pretty cramped) and I'm nearby it .. do you think the noise will be tolerable with new firmware? As long as it doesn't make a whining sound I should be good. I worked in an office before with fan noises all around but it didn't bother me one bit.

Thanks...

In general 1U servers tend to be a bit louder due to needing smaller fans.

We had some 1750s that screamed compared to their 2U counterparts.

im gonna tell u this... if u gonna put it in your closet and close the door it will get LOUD due to heat... 1U servers are already noisy as they are... honestly if i was you i would go with a 2-3U version

I just picked up a T110 from dell for $400. Supports up to 16gb of ram. So far its making a pretty good ESXi server.

I decided to go with the PowerEdge R510 which is a 2U server. I haven't seen any noise complains about it so I'm hoping for the best.

If the T110 support iDRAC 6 I would have been all over it .... from what I hear the T110 fan is incredibly loud as well.

I decided to go with the PowerEdge R510 which is a 2U server. I haven't seen any noise complains about it so I'm hoping for the best.

If the T110 support iDRAC 6 I would have been all over it .... from what I hear the T110 fan is incredibly loud as well.

Its louder than my desktop fan but its a server and I somewhat expected it. I'm sure its no louder than any 2u server, those things scream. It just sits tucked away in my closet. So far i'm pretty happy with it. I might replace the fan at some point.

Let us know how the R510 works out.

I dont think the T110 is loud at all. I often have one @ my desk on.

r410s are loud like a typical 2U rackmount, but all of ours are in datacenters so i dont really have to deal with it on a day to day basis to really tell you how annoying it is. They are definitely quieter than our 2950s were.

When they are not under full load they really dont seem that loud. Heck Ive got an ASA5510 sitting on my desk and I cant hear people standing in the door talking. The R410 and R710s in the back are barely as loud imo. The older 17xx and 19xx series servers are another matter though.

I hope the noise is manageable for the R510. it's coming tomorrow.

I'm going to be running about 8 VMs and they will mostly be idling since they are app servers and I have only a handful of computers. Hopefully it won't stress the cores too much and have it take off like a rocket.

Hopefully the roommates won't mind :D

My PowerEdge R510 is here. Unfortunately it got kicked out of the packaging material and was sliding around in the box for god knows how long ... had to reseat all of the hot swap bays too because they looked out of shape. It turns on and all, going to run some hardware diagnostics to ensure that it is fine.

They forgot to reset the BIOS settings which had me confused for a bit.

In terms of noise levels - it's very loud only when there was a configuration change. Otherwise it is very quiet! I am impressed. Sometimes it's quiet at cold boot too which I was surprised.

Let's see what happens once I load some VMs on here.

I have ESXi running on an R710, mounted in an APC rack and it doesn't seem to be too bad at all, noise-wise. I am more than thrilled with ESXi, though.

I'm thinking about running Hyper-V though. I know ESXi is the industry standard but I am thinking of running a NAS VM and I'd much rather it have direct disk access than try to create one giant VMDK with several terabytes of data...

ESXi supports RDM also. I would say if you are only going to have one server either hyper-visor would do just fine. If you are going to have more than one and want to integrate at some point then head down the ESXi route.

ESXi RDM seems very difficult to pull off ... going to do Hyper-V. I'd figure this is more energy efficient than running two seperate boxes.

ESXi RDM seems very difficult to pull off ... going to do Hyper-V. I'd figure this is more energy efficient than running two seperate boxes.

Hard to pull off? :confused: As long as it's an array lun, you just add a HD to the VM and select RDM as the type.

The disks are on the local machine i was told it's only possible if the storage lun was located elsewhere.

I will let lopoetve correct me if I'm wrong but as long as you partition the local storage according you show have no issues assigning a local disk as RDM. I personally have never done it, all my storage is either on FC or iSCSI and broken up into LUNs

Does it support 6TB RAID5 for RDM, I plan on installing 4x wd20eads drives and run RAID5 for TV/media storage. Thanks.

I will let lopoetve correct me if I'm wrong but as long as you partition the local storage according you show have no issues assigning a local disk as RDM. I personally have never done it, all my storage is either on FC or iSCSI and broken up into LUNs
technically, local disks are not supported and disabled. you can turn off the check.

Plus, Hyper-V with 2008 R2 and SP1 will trump ESXi... they need to hurry up the release I'm getting antsy

How is your new rack mount machine running ? Is it fast ? Hows the noise ?

I just bought a Astaro 1u Firewall, at first it was SO LOUD, drove me nuts, however a little modification and she's quiet now :)

Not fully running yet as the hard drives are unavailable for purchase until November. The cold boot is ridiculously loud but quiets down to a reasonable sound level. I stuck it in my closet and all I hear is a low hum which doesn't bother me at all.

It seems fast on paper so far, dual Xeon E5620s, 24GB RAM, 320GB in RAID10 (this will change later to 160GB RAID1 and 1.5TB RAID 10).

Not fully running yet as the hard drives are unavailable for purchase until November. The cold boot is ridiculously loud but quiets down to a reasonable sound level. I stuck it in my closet and all I hear is a low hum which doesn't bother me at all.

It seems fast on paper so far, dual Xeon E5620s, 24GB RAM, 320GB in RAID10 (this will change later to 160GB RAID1 and 1.5TB RAID 10).

What did the box end up costing you ?

$2300 so far. Might have seen a bit overboard but I do get 3 year NBD warranty, PERC H700 RAID Controller and iDRAC 6 Enterprise. The hard drives will cost an additional $500.

We just got one for a project. VERY quiet. I'm surprised. I'm sure it gets louder depending on specs (ours is lower end) and cpu activity/heat.

Back