Dell Powerconnect Rack Ears

totalanni

n00b
Does anyone know where i can find some generic/3rd party or dell ears for a PowerConnect 6024?

Found some for $125. They are attached to a metal box for protection during shipping.
Others

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was looking for some for my 2716 (this was while back mind you) and I couldn't really find anything. I might just fire up AutoCAD and get one of my friends at school to fabricate me some.

My office is right next door to a machine shop- if there is enough interest, I can talk to him about making some. I could actually use one for a PC5012 and probably something else too.

Assuming the cost is reasonable I'd definitely take advantage of that.

I'll talk to him tomorrow. I may need help with patterns/samples. I have PC 5012, 5224, 3424, 2824, and maybe something else.

I talked to the machinist, we might be able to do it. I have some ears to use as patterns, what would help is knowing interchange, like will a 5224 ear fit a 5324 and so forth. Also , what would you be willing to pay? We are looking at producing a pair of rack ears with mounting screws. Is $25 shipped too much?

This is why I love having my dad who is a machinist. Something like this would take him less than half an hour. Just bring him the switch and he'd get me to proper ears made up.

If there really is enough interest, I could have some laser cut out, bent, and painted. Would look like factory pieces.

If there really is enough interest, I could have some laser cut out, bent, and painted. Would look like factory pieces.

You could probably get a generic ear made and let people drill the holes where they want themselves. Then they'll fit a whole bunch of switch and router models.

Paint will start peeling-off first time you seat a screw, then rust. Powder coating bonds to the metal.

Paint will start peeling-off first time you seat a screw, then rust. Powder coating bonds to the metal.

Yes I can also have them powder coated.

I do not have the time or want to argue however why your statement is incorrect. A proper paint job, which includes surface prep, primer, and the correct paint will not chip or allow rust to form.

Yes I can also have them powder coated.

I do not have the time or want to argue however why your statement is incorrect. A proper paint job, which includes surface prep, primer, and the correct paint will not chip or allow rust to form.

If you don't want to argue, why are you arguing? Do you simply mean to say we should accept what you say as the truth, without evidence, lest we look unaccomodating?
While what you say is technically correct (a process does exist where solvent-based paint can gain the coverage and durability of powder coat in certain applications), powder coating can provide the desired finish at a lower cost and with lower impact to the environment. This is why OEM rack ears are powder coated instead of painted- it provides a high-quality part at a low cost.
Since rack ears are a fairly small part with a bent surface, surface prep and priming is more difficult, especially when trying to get an even, consistent paint coat. Powder coating attracts pigment to the part evenly through elctrostatic attraction- perfect for placing a durable, even finish on small irregular shaped parts.
You are right; let us not argue- let the evidence speak for itself.

Do me a favor and drop it. I never said powder coating is a inferior process to painting and I am not arguing, I am also stating a fact. Any decent epoxy paint (which I have seen more then powdercoating on many server cases and rack gear) will hold up to years of abuse. http://www.krylon.com/products/epoxy_enamel_paint/
Powder coating is a wonderful process and I have a complete setup in my shop, waiting for me to have time to build a larger oven. However again, for this purpose a basic coat of paint would suffice. Like others have said, if you are worried about rust in a server room or even your home office, you have greater problems.

This is a part people are not going to pay more then $10 for, and why should they? It is a flat sheet with 6-8 holes drilled in it, bent, de-burred, and finished.

Do me a favor and drop it. I never said powder coating is a inferior process to painting and I am not arguing, I am also stating a fact. Any decent epoxy paint (which I have seen more then powdercoating on many server cases and rack gear) will hold up to years of abuse. http://www.krylon.com/products/epoxy_enamel_paint/
Powder coating is a wonderful process and I have a complete setup in my shop, waiting for me to have time to build a larger oven. However again, for this purpose a basic coat of paint would suffice. Like others have said, if you are worried about rust in a server room or even your home office, you have greater problems.

This is a part people are not going to pay more then $10 for, and why should they? It is a flat sheet with 6-8 holes drilled in it, bent, de-burred, and finished.

= win.

lets stop the banter.

25$ fo rack ears is a bit much maybe 15-20$

LOL you sure are arguing alot for not wanting to argue. The rack-ears are non-standard thickness and are not standard sheet or bar width. Some rack ears require countersunk holes, and then you have the slots for mounting to the rack, which must be milled and not simply drilled. I'm dealing with a shop that's been in business for over 100 years, so they probably don't know what the hell they're talking about. You can use all the lasers and epoxy you want- you'll find your equipment won't slide in the rack beacuse the panhead screws you are using won't fit between the rails.
Do me a favor- do a little more research before speaking up, or take your own advice and drop it. I offered a service, you offered a service- why not let the market decide, instead of telling me to 'drop it'?

Thanks for the good laugh.

I believe I will have to agree with dashpuppy here and again ask you to drop it.

Consider it dropped. How soon can I have a pair of rack ears for a PowerConnect 5012? Let me know where to send the $10.

What the fuck is wrong with this forum.

I can offer the dimensions for my PC2716. Do you have any specific CAD format you prefer, or are measurements good enough?

My guy says he uses Alibre, which will take just about anything- certainly DWG, DXF, etc. Measurements if that's all I can get.

Alright, I can get DWG/DXF no problem. I'll whip something up when I get a break from school.

Id love to just have a few unfinished ears...
Im more than capable of drilling a few holes in the correct place! :)

i really want ears, to much arguing to read through to see if price has gone down or not ?

And i really wanted some ears...
Anyone got any temp suggestions?
Guess i can ride down to the machine shop myself...

Back