Dell PowerConnect 8024F and 5524 for 10GbE

nry

Limp Gawd
I am currently learning various networking techniques, setups etc all in my personal time. So please bear with any things I have overlooked here. This is a huge learning curve for me.
I have been offered a 8024F SFP+ 10GbE switch and found a 5524 fairly cheap on eBay (A tad over £1k for both here in the UK)

I am buying these to upgrade my way over the top home lab used for development/testing as the gigabit network is my bottleneck. I have multiple VLANs setup which are for iSCSI, Wireless, VoIP etc etc and currently do all my VLAN routing via pfsense which works, but latency and speed are not brilliant. Was only designed as a quick fix for the short term.

So in a mad idea to improve this my thought was to use the 8024F as the core of my network running as a L3 switch to define my interVLAN routing and ACL. Then have the 5524 essentially as a 'edge switch' running in L2 for all RJ45 devices linked by 2x 10GbE SFP+ DAC cables (I guess one would be more than enough though)

To anyone who has experience with these two switches

How noisy are they? as they will be running in a home but in a locked room, if they are over 50db I will be able to hear them around the house. I think I read the 8024F has temperature control of the fans?
From what I read the 8024F can do layer 3 routing across VLANs, is this correct?
Is this switch any good at it? Read a few bad things about the Dell 6224 being terrible at L3 routing
In yes to interVlan routing, can I define ACL on the 8024F such as VLAN20 can communicate with VLAN30 but not VLAN40. Having never really done this on a switch I am slightly concerned I am approaching it wrong.

Kind of limited on second hand kit here in the UK, had a look at importing various kit from the US but by the time I import it it will go well over budget. As I still need to buy a few PCIe cards.
I will have a total of 4 servers to begin with on the network, eventually looking at something like the C6100 server to replace one of my servers, also investigating a 10GbE link to my workstation (Mac) so in total need to allow for 8 10GbE links.

EDIT:
And for those who think I can't saturate a 1GbE link as that seems to be a very common reply to any 10GbE related question! My NAS server will quite happily hit 700MB/s reads on the RAID6, 900MB/s on my RAID10 and 1.6GB/s on my SSD RAID10.

Back