Dell PowerConnect 2716 issues

obviouslytom

Fully [H]
So my work was getting rid of a Dell PowerConnect 2716 because they were upgrading the switches from 16 ports to 48. Because of this, I was able to get the 2716 and bring it home where I would put it to good use. Since getting it here, I have not been able to get an IP address out of it, even when plugged into a modem, router, or another switch.

I have tried multiple times to get into the managed mode with no success. Currently I have a line from the router plugged into port one and a laptop plugged into port 2. The laptop is getting a default IP of 169.254.130.50. I even came across an old thread here on the forums about this very switch but can't seem to find it now. I have taken a paper clip to the managed mode button and held it there for up to 30 seconds trying to get it into that mode, but it doesn't work.

Is there something that I am skipping on doing? I have gone through a few resets on it hoping to get some results but haven't. I would like to get this thing to work either managed or unmanaged since it will help clean up the mess of switches I currently have going on in my house.

The unit powers up and the ports are getting activity according to the lights on the front. According to the manual, it comes with a default address of 192.168.2.1 so I have set my laptop to be 192.168.2.2 to see if I can log into it somehow and it doesn't work.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Back