Dell PowerConnect 2616 any good?

[H]EMI_426

2[H]4U
Dell is running a smoking deal on their 2616. I have some GigE machines that are going in to my home rack, so this 2616 deal interests me. Do Dell switches perform pretty well?

Right now it's pretty much a toss-up between this Dell and the Netgear FS526T, even though they are somewhat different switches...They both would work well for what I need...I don't need twenty-four ports, but I do need at least a few 1000BaseTX ports and I do need it rackable. Management isn't necessary, but it could come in handy down the road. The Netgear had me very interested until I stumbled across this Dell.

well the dell is a 16 port switch.. i dont see anything about it having gige ports tho

I have been very happy with my PowerConnect 3024 which is a fully managed switch w/ 24-Port 10/100 and 2 Gig Copper/Fiber ports.

I'd go with the Dell, they sell some good switches. Plus, with that you get 16 GigE capable ports, with the net gear you get 2. Plus it costs more.

Yeah, it's a nice switch. It's not managed though. Still, you can't beat that "buy 8 ports, get 8 ports free" deal...

I'm so pickin one of these up for the lan i help with

can't beat 16 ports of gige loving for that price

ya i'd go with the dell

me personally, i go fiber for gige but hey, just me :p

What's the big deal about having managed for YOUR HOME?

And Flecom, we all know about your Fiber Love...Bastard :D

Yes, those Dells look oh so tastylicious...

Originally posted by DubOSv10

when u have homes like these guys.. its more like a small server farm then home.

It's something else to play with. :)

Originally posted by Blitzrommel
It's something else to play with. :)
Ding!

I would like to understand more things like VLANs, etc...I just don't have the time to learn as I go at work.

I have 4 different networks at home (Internal, External, DMZ, WIFI) and I can use that one switch with 4 VLAN's to do it all, makes life easier...

What's the forwarding rate of the switch actually measure? The 2616 has a forwarding rate of 23.8 Mpps.

Originally posted by [H]EMI_426
What's the forwarding rate of the switch actually measure? The 2616 has a forwarding rate of 23.8 Mpps.

Just how many packets per second the switch is able to process, so the switch can process 23,800,000 packets per second.

That's what I figured. Thanks.

Now, the FS526T has a "bandwidth" (as they call it) of 8.8 Gpps...Doesn't that seem a bit lop-sided?

Originally posted by [H]EMI_426
That's what I figured. Thanks.

Now, the FS526T has a "bandwidth" (as they call it) of 8.8 Gpps...Doesn't that seem a bit lop-sided?

Well, it has 2 full duplex GigE ports, which each can provide 1000 Mbps of BW each way. Then if you take the other 24 full duplex 100baseTX ports, each providing 100Mbps each way, it all adds up. (24*100*2)+(2*1000*2)=8800.

Yeah, I can do the math. :) I was trying to point out how low the Dell's numbers are in respect to the Netgear's.

Back