Dell PERC H700 RAID controller reflash firmware

SonyWii

n00b
Could the new Dell PERC H700 RAID controller reflash with the LSI 9260 firmware?

Any ideas?

Are you wanting to reflash it because the H700 locks out drives that don't have Dell firmware? That's the only reason I can think of to do so.

This is a really irritating situation for me...the H700 has incredible performance - I've deployed two Exchange servers w/heavy disk I/O and they're superb - but I hate being locked in to one vendor for a commodity item.

Are you wanting to reflash it because the H700 locks out drives that don't have Dell firmware? That's the only reason I can think of to do so.

This is a really irritating situation for me...the H700 has incredible performance - I've deployed two Exchange servers w/heavy disk I/O and they're superb - but I hate being locked in to one vendor for a commodity item.

Yes, but I can't confirm that it will work. :(

i've found a patch on tom's hardware website that claims to fix the problem.

Has anyone tried it ?

Last edited:
Just an update:
Dell PERC H700 Adapter Firmware A02

I just loaded the new firmware yesterday and set up 4 x ST310005N1A1AS retail kit drives
in RAID5 config. No issues.

So it looks like the new firmware does in fact allow non-certified drives.
Yep. I spoke with a Dell technical guy a couple of weeks ago. He said the latest revisions allow any hard drives. Said they got 10X more negative feedback about this than all other server related issues in the last couple of years. Also said the deciding factor was that some bank that bought a bunch of high end servers with these controllers decided to return all the servers over the issue so Dell caved. Don't know if that last part is accurate or not but that's what I was told.

Helly guys. I work for Dell's Enterprise support for Poweredge servers. I can tell you that in a recent firmware update, we did allow non Dell certified drives to work on the H700 controller. It was just a bad decision on Dell's part in my humble opinion.

Helly guys. I work for Dell's Enterprise support for Poweredge servers. I can tell you that in a recent firmware update, we did allow non Dell certified drives to work on the H700 controller. It was just a bad decision on Dell's part in my humble opinion.

That's great, I'll start updating firmware on my systems and a few others now, thanks for the notice. :cool:

Holy Necro,
But can anyone comment on running non-dell drives and permanently bypassing the alert on the LCD and in OMSA? I have a T310 that is running two SSDs for the OS, and two OEM Dell drives for data, but cannot get the warnings to stop.

Back