• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dell Perc 5 vs Perc 6?

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
Joined
Jan 20, 2002
Messages
18,287
I noticed on Ebay that the Perc 6 is almost the same price as the Perc 5. I do not see many threads or people talking about the Perc 6. From my understanding the Perc 6 is the newer version of the Perc 5 with on board cache ram and raid 6 support? Is the performance the same?

If you could get a Perc 6 for the same price as the Perc 5 should you go with it?
 
I have not had any issue with my Perc 5/i.
I modded it by adding a NorthBridge Heatsink so less airflow was required.
I am sure you can do the same with the Perc 6 cards as well.

I would say the Perc 6 would be the better option (for the same price) since it has Raid 6 support.
Also has some other features the older Perc 5 does not have.
 
Does anyone happen to know if there's a performance gain on the Perc 6 vs 5? That thread is huuuuuge... :/
 
PERC 5 does not support NCQ (Native command queing) - performance hit will depend on the age and type of hard drive(s) being used...
 
Well, I'm a little shocked at this necro, but more shocked at the claim the Perc 5 doesn't support NCQ. Not because I don't believe you, but because I always thought NCQ was inherent in the SATA protocol. But apparently after looking at Wikipedia, it can be optional.

But it seems odd since it was one the main advantages of SATA.
 
Back
Top