Dell PERC 5/i cold boot find, warm boot fail?

Deimos

[H]ard|Gawd
I just installed a Dell PERC 5/i in my server at home and noticed a strange problem, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my motherboard, but no idea how to fix it.

When I power on my server it goes through POST fine and the option ROM is displayed for both the PERC 5 and my Intel on board RAID (Configured for RAID 10 boot), but if I warm boot (ctrl alt del during POST or reboot with the OS) the option ROM for the PERC 5 doesn't show up (the card doesn't init) and when I get to windows it shows code 10 (this device could not start).

Specs:
Q6600 (stock)
Asus P5Q Premium
Dell Perc 5/i - 8 x 1TB WD GP RAID 5
Intel - 4 x 320GB WD RE RAID 10
NEC USB 3.0 card
GeForce 7300
8GB ram

Most on board extras are disabled (Marvell RAID, firewire, sound, COM port etc, only NICs are enabled) and I have tried fiddling with boot options and updated the BIOS on the motherboard.

Also, the SMBus fix was applied for me when I bought the card, but it doesn't seem to apply, I removed the tape covering the SMBus pins and the behaviour didn't change.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks! :D

Last edited:
Can you get into the Perc 5 configuration BIOS ok when it is working?

first thing to check to see if you are having issues with your motherboard is to make sure the proper amount of RAM is being reported in BIOS. That is a known issue with the Perc 5.

Yeah RAM is all good, and from cold boot I can get in to the option rom to set up an array, and its all working sweet otherwise.

I found on another forum that a particular LSI firmware has this bug, although this card is still using Dell firmware, maybe the bug made its way in there at some stage, I'm going to try and update it to the latest Dell firmware and see if that helps, just have to find myself a floppy :rolleyes:

Turns out the seller was running the latest firmware, I downgraded it a couple of versions and its working fine now!

Back