Dell P2414H

This could also be IPS glow, hard to tell from the angle the shot was placed. Look straight on to the corner (not at an angle) and see if the bleed/glow goes away. IPS screens are notorious for the glow effect, not much can be done sadly.

I now see the bleed... it was masked by the glow all this time on my screens also. Same left bottom corner.

Last edited:
Well, I got this display instead of the vp2772 since it has proven to use PWM... And I can say I like it. It runs at 78hz no changes made to timings. I have it connected via displayport 1.2 cable Colors are great, gamma is a bit too high, but overall image quality is very good anyway. Grey colors feel pretty inaccurate, but at the same time not unpleasing. It shows that this monitor has above average contrast ratio for an IPS. Some very noticeable IPS glow, but that's ok by me. Nothing is perfect.
Gameplay is veeeeery smooth especially at 78hz. Tested in Skyrim, it has a lot of dark shades and colors, and it is the best game to test ghosting particularly on spruces at night time. I observed no ghosting, but instead the whole image smearing when moving the camera. But mind you! It is pretty light and possibly the best smearing an IPS can offer you. :) Very close to a TN.
Overall I highly recommend this monitor!:D

Downsampling 2880x1620@79hz on this Dell P2414H monitor results in a constant wow effect; while two titans, surprisingly, manage to push such resolution in a quite playable way in crysis3, in particular.

Now I know what my dream monitor is: it is an IPS (or equivalent with a contrast ratio of at least 1000:1), 23,8" or 24" monitor size, and with 2880x1620 native resolution.
3840x2160 is too much of frame rate killer, the 2880x1620 is optimal for maintaining decent fps with current gpu hardware and providing stunning image quality at the same time.

I have a question concerning sRGB gamut coverage.
According to dell, u2412hm has a colour gamut of 82% (CIE 1976) and 95.8% sRGB. Dell P2414h has a gamut of 86% (CIE 1976) and 72% NTSC. But there's no information about srgb coverage. In TFT Central review there's also no information about srgb coverage, just a statement "the monitors colour gamut (black triangle) matches the sRGB colour space pretty well". I'm a little concerned about that "pretty well" phrase...

What is the sRGB gamut coverage of Dell P2414h monitor? Is it better/the same as u2412 or worse?

Spyer 4 Pro tells me 95% sRGB.
For the price, that number is great imo.

I don't want to sway the main yard, but my P2414H has no bleed at all. Just IPS glow. Yours look really bad...

How is the exchange policy with Dell with their exchange policy... If there is a strong bleed, will they exchange it for me? will I get brand new repalcement or refurb? Do they cover 2 way shipping. I live in cold Canada.

I'm a IPS lover ...hahah. I use LG 32LD450 on main rig and NEC 20WMGX2 while running on treadmill...

I want to pick this one for my young kids for their new build (for their homework, reading, browsing) Light AG coating and PWM free is must for me.
I can deal with IPS glow and some tiny bleeding...

Please let me know ASAP so I can place an order... :D

BIG THANKS !!!

How is the exchange policy with Dell with their exchange policy... If there is a strong bleed, will they exchange it for me? will I get brand new repalcement or refurb? Do they cover 2 way shipping. I live in cold Canada.

I'm a IPS lover ...hahah. I use LG 32LD450 on main rig and NEC 20WMGX2 while running on treadmill...

I want to pick this one for my young kids for their new build (for their homework, reading, browsing) Light AG coating and PWM free is must for me.

BIG THANKS !!!

I guess I can't speak for Canadian residents but Dell US support has always been pretty good. I had to get my U2312h replaced and they shipped out the refurb next day at no cost to me. There's a return label to send the old one back included.

I'm not sure what instances they cover light leakage and all that, but mine had actual backlight problems. Like it wouldn't come on or detect a signal sometimes.

BIG THANKS !!!

From what I've seen they will exchange it for you and you can keep doing this until you get a display that works the way you want. However, I should note that I've heard that if you continue to do this after a while they will start sending you refurbished displays. I don't know if this is true or not so take that with a grain of salt. I don't know about shipping either but I think you will find everything you want to know on their website. One of the many reasons why I got this monitor is because of Dell's return policy being pretty awesome. Hope that helps.

Does anyone have an answer to this? Much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure it is. Sometimes they throw on additional characters to the serial you don't normal see. For example I have a TV which is a Samsung PN42B450, but the sticker says PN42B450B1DXZA. But all that at the end doesn't really matter when shopping for it.

So someone at Amazon could've just entered in the traditional characters.

I'm honestly so sick of trying to find a decent monitor. Everything has problems and it's really starting to annoy me.

I just got my P2414H today and the bleed is so bad. When I put up an all black image at 20% it's coming heavily from the bottom left corner (white-ish color) and some from the bottom right (more yellow).

Brightness doesn't change the bleeding all that much. And the WHOLE display is a grayish color against a black image.

Do I really have to spend $800 to get something good?

more like 1500-2500$ for some top eizo monitor in their cg line, if you want anything close to perfection.

Edit: And calibration is a must for this P2414H monitor. By default the gamma curve is completely fcked up.
But once properly calibrated it is very, very nice display, especially for gaming.
Really, the happiness lies in simple things...

Last edited:
more like 1500-2500$ for some top eizo monitor in their cg line, if you want anything close to perfection.

Edit: And calibration is a must for this P2414H monitor. By default the gamma curve is completely fcked up.
But once properly calibrated it is very, very nice display, especially for gaming.
Really, the happiness lies in simple things...

EIZO FG2421 is no good?

Calibration wouldn't solve the backlight bleed though. That's my main problem with all these monitors I buy now.

EIZO FG2421 is no good?

Calibration wouldn't solve the backlight bleed though. That's my main problem with all these monitors I buy now.

The calibration won't solve it for sure. But it looks like it varies from sample to sample... Btw on right side it is not a yellowish bleed - it is IPS glow. Notice how it disappears as you move to the right.
The FG2421 is no good. There are too many issues with that monitor. This P2414H is faster and blurs less comparing to the FG2421 when it's not in 240hz mode.

All in all - all current monitors suck. Each in its own way. Add to that the panel lottery and you get the monitor madness. :D

one quick question , can this monitor handle games like Borderlands 2 , Farcry 3 ect without problems?
im close to buying this one ...but a somewhat gaming stability is a must.
Else id have to go with the ASUS VX238H

one quick question , can this monitor handle games like Borderlands 2 , Farcry 3 ect without problems?
im close to buying this one ...but a somewhat gaming stability is a must.
Else id have to go with the ASUS VX238H

It's actually one of the best IPS for gaming in terms of input lag and pixel response.
I play GW2 daily and fast camera movement is a must in PvP. This monitor handles the game beautifully, I would never go back to a TN, whatever the 1ms BS....

Yeah, it's extremely fast. May I recommend some cool settings for the owners of it?

If yes, then there you go:
1.The icc profile get it here: http://www.2shared.com/file/d_LCh7bX/DELL_P2414H100x320g.html
Install it and force it via Monitor Calibration Wizard, otherwise doing the rest is pointless.
2. Set the Preset Mode to Custom Color, make sure the RGB values are all set to 100%.
3. Set your brightness to 50 and contrast to 75(the default number).
Enjoy the clarity and crispness and every detail being visible on the screen.
Doing above will get you to approximately 150cdm2, 6300k, 2.0 gamma and 1100:1 contrast ratio, if you want numbers.
I noticed that you get minimal ghosting (image blurring) in movement and maximum contrast ratio at the same time if you leave the colors at 100% and select the Custom color preset mode.
If you want to have really perfect color reproduction on this monitor you will have to lose the contrast high numbers and go down to 700:1-800:1, that you don't want to do for gaming.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's extremely fast. May I recommend some cool settings for the owners of it?

If yes, then there you go:
1.The icc profile get it here: http://www.2shared.com/file/d_LCh7bX/DELL_P2414H100x320g.html
Install it and force it via Monitor Calibration Wizard, otherwise doing the rest is pointless.
2. Set the Preset Mode to Custom Color, make sure the RGB values are all set to 100%.
3. Set your brightness to 34 and contrast to 75(the default number).
Enjoy the clarity and crispness and every detail being visible on the screen.
Doing above will get you to approximately 130cdm2, 6300k, 2.0 gamma and 1100:1 contrast ratio, if you want numbers.
I noticed that you get minimal ghosting (image blurring) in movement and maximum contrast ratio at the same time if you leave the colors at 100% and select the Custom color preset mode.
If you want to have really perfect color reproduction on this monitor you will have to lose the contrast high numbers and go down to 700:1-800:1, that you don't want to do for gaming.

The magic number for the contrast on P2414H as well as U2212HM is 74.
Apparently for U2209WA aswell:

"At 74%, the monitor almost retains the maximum contrast, but the white colors still remain accurate. At 75% contrast, the white is still slightly clipped, so 74% is the most accurate setting which retains the full contrast."

Interesting. Usually lowering contrast results in lower contrast ratio... But I'll try that.
Thanks for the tip.

Just got this monitor today from amazon.

There is a easily noticeable backlight bleed and clouding in the bottom left corner that stretches up pretty far. I noticed it while the screen was completely black but didn't think would be easily spotted in applications or games, but it unfortunately is.

I also noticed even after using a couple of ICC profiles and calibrations that white has somewhat of a yellow hue or tint to it.

Kind of disappointed more so in the backlight clouding and will now have to pay shipping back to amazon to replace it and try again.

Just got this monitor today from amazon.

There is a easily noticeable backlight bleed and clouding in the bottom left corner that stretches up pretty far. I noticed it while the screen was completely black but didn't think would be easily spotted in applications or games, but it unfortunately is.

I also noticed even after using a couple of ICC profiles and calibrations that white has somewhat of a yellow hue or tint to it.

Kind of disappointed more so in the backlight clouding and will now have to pay shipping back to amazon to replace it and try again.

Yeah I'm returning mine. I'm going to go with the Eizo FG242. There might be some QC issues but when it's right the panel is getting pretty rave reviews. I'm done with this IPS glow, backlight bleed nonsense.

Yeah I'm returning mine. I'm going to go with the Eizo FG242. There might be some QC issues but when it's right the panel is getting pretty rave reviews. I'm done with this IPS glow, backlight bleed nonsense.

You have no idea what you getting yourself into. the FG2421 is plethora of problems. This monitor is miles (or rather kilometers) BETTER than that foris. Just try my calibration above. lol

You have no idea what you getting yourself into. the FG2421 is plethora of problems. This monitor is miles (or rather kilometers) BETTER than that foris. Just try my calibration above. lol

Not based on what I've read.

Sure any monitor can exhibit problems, qc issues, whatever. But based on what I want, the FG2421 is top dog right now. The P2414h is mid-range garbage just like all the other IPS monitors.

I'm willing to try my luck on one FG2421, if it's crap, I'll return it as defective. No problem but some time lost.

Not based on what I've read.

Sure any monitor can exhibit problems, qc issues, whatever. But based on what I want, the FG2421 is top dog right now. The P2414h is mid-range garbage just like all the other IPS monitors.

I'm willing to try my luck on one FG2421, if it's crap, I'll return it as defective. No problem but some time lost.

Good luck with that. but you may want to read the thread about that monitor on this very forum before you go and buy it.
The P2414h is cheap ass monitor but it turned out to be on par if not better than the eizo Fg2421 in terms of image quality and clarity, after some heavy calibration. I listed it above. It has much less input lag - that is for sure and it is very noticeable. Although it doesn't have the strobing technology, and the contrast, but that does not make a lot of difference anyway.

IMHO P2414h is a perfect monitor for gaming that will last until new strobing tech and g-sync including new monitor models become mainstream.

Good luck with that. but you may want to read the thread about that monitor on this very forum before you go and buy it.
The P2414h is cheap ass monitor but it turned out to be on par if not better than the eizo Fg2421 in terms of image quality and clarity, after some heavy calibration. I listed it above. It has much less input lag - that is for sure and it is very noticeable. Although it doesn't have the strobing technology, and the contrast, but that does not make a lot of difference anyway.

IMHO P2414h is a perfect monitor for gaming that will last until new strobing tech and g-sync including new monitor models become mainstream.

Fine, you know what? Is it perfect for gaming. I however, care about more than just twitch gaming.

well i ordered this one today .... thought to myself that i wont get anything better for the price and grabbed one.
now all of you wish me all luck in the world please ,that i get a unit without techincal flaws

If an owner of this monitor wants some VIP image quality for his games and other general software use, here are some settings for you:

1. ICM profile=> http://www.2shared.com/file/At_vKfqy/DELL_P2414Hsrgb164.html
2. RGB 99-99-100
3. Contrast 80
4. Brightness 52-54 (I think 54 is better and anything above 55 is too bright and lens flares in games start burning through your eyes)

The above will give you an almost ideal sRGB gamma curve, approximately 6490K color temp and 1050:1 contrast ratio, although all panels are different and that should go with some big approximation. Personally, I am blown away by the image quality. The ICM profile is vital - it contains the correct Gamma Curve (the most important thing for this monitor imho) and more correct secondary colors.

So i got the monitor today , fired it up and then this
http://tinypic.com/r/2rnto2u/8

Thats Backlight Bleed right ?

The right-hand side right up against the top edge: That's backlight bleed. Looks like you might have some down the right-hand edge also. From your picture it looks pretty minor.

The light in the lower-left that covers half the screen looks like normal IPS glow that you'll get with any IPS monitor.

Before you condemn it and send it back, try tweaking the chassis VERY GENTLY and pull out a bit on the bezel. There may be a tolerance issue in the assembly causing pressure on the panel that is causing or exacerbating the bleed.

I know that sounds dangerous and not very scientific, but I have alleviated backlight bleed without causing damage on two different monitors by very gently twisting the chassis. If you want to be more methodical about it, lay the monitor on a flat surface and see if the bleed goes away when you remove the bezel.

I just got mine, loaded one of the .icm files and changed some settings, love the thing. This is coming from a 2209WA.

can you please tell me what the latest revision and manufacter dates are? amazon just sent me revision a00 from july 2013. Seems old to me.

can you please tell me what the latest revision and manufacter dates are? amazon just sent me revision a00 from july 2013. Seems old to me.

I'm not sure what the latest revision is, but I've got exactly what you have, A00 / 07.2013

I have been in a constant cycle of returning with amazon, and they keep sending me these a00 that all have horrible backlight clouding and bleeding. i need to start writing the serial number down to make sure they are not sending me the same two back and forth.

well i see there is a rev A01 available so i assume thats the one to have, Getting mine replaced but sounds like it will be A00 again.

Back